• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How much to cut front springs to lower 3/4-1"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your assertion that racing is a more severe environment is absolutely wrong. How much snow, rain, salt, rocks, ect. do race cars drive through? How often is a suspension in a race car inspected? How often is yours? How many miles does a race car go before changing springs. How many miles do want yours to go, how many years? How many potholes and curbs will a race car hit? How many will car hit? The amount of damage you will do to spring is much more than a racing team would place on a spring.

How are you planning on painting it. In the OEM world they are e-coated or powder coated. E-coat is only a marginal paint for springs. Powder does well. A can of Rustollium does very little.

The springs bimini showed have a variable coil diameter. If you cut those the spring wouldn't fit in the spring seat correctly.
I didn't post those spring pics, but those aren't stockers are they?
From the search I did, stock is also linear rate correct?
You are correct on the race vs. DD statements, but certain forces will be higher in a race environment. Everything would be inspected 2-3x yearly.
The rate increase really would be negligible with one coil removed, I'm not worried there.
You got me, I did just rattle can after cutting, but usually there will be an isolator at the perch that covers the end.

Back to topic though, can I cut the stock springs 1 coil at the top and have them fit in the spring seat? and how much will this 1 coil lower the car (on good low mile OEM parts)?
-J

I didn't post those spring pics, but those aren't stockers are they?-J

Yes the two to the left of the picture are rear units. These aren't really a problem to cut and sit correctly. Or get early SE springs these are shorter than SVT rears

Back to topic though, can I cut the stock springs 1 coil at the top and have them fit in the spring seat? and how much will this 1 coil lower the car (on good low mile OEM parts)?
-J
You really have to have a set of front springs in your hands with all the parts seperated to see and make your own decision.

What's the point in cutting a spring when you can buy a properly tested and manufactured set for $200 and under? You go through the time and energy to remove the suspension, only to hack it?

What's the point in cutting a spring when you can buy a properly tested and manufactured set for $200 and under? You go through the time and energy to remove the suspension, only to hack it?
Jesus man, beat a dead horse. Its official.....I don't like you :censored:. Please stay out of this thread as you have nothing to offer.
Really can't get off this debate I guess, but my reasoning:
free, can do in a few ours on my dad's lift, low-mile good parts, don't want to lower the rear just tighten the front gap slightly, wouldn't use lowering springs w/o changing struts ($$).
Money is not the issue. I can afford to buy a whole suspension package, but for many good personal reasons I'm trying to stick to a limited budget for the SVT and would rather put the money elsewhere. I have a low-mile suspension and the ride quality is fine, so I only want the asthetics of a lowering very slightly in the front.

So, back to topic.....anyone have a pic of unmounted stock front springs?
-J

I think you need to be talking to him---look at his posts man.
Look at my statement about staying off the thread unless you have anything significant to add.
-J

I saw his posts.
And we're all telling him he's an idiot for taking his life and the lives of other motorists in his own hands. This is a serious safety issue.

He made two very good points. First, safety should always come first. Secondly, some people value their time. He pointed out that there are cheap alternatives available and they might be considered.

You might not like his delivery, but his message is a good one. Be safe and consider inexpensive options. If you still need to call him names, do it in a PM.

Btw, it doesn't matter if you say "Please stay out of this thread as you have nothing to offer" or make any lame disclaimers at the begining of a thread. If you post in a sour or arrogant manner, expect for people to respond in kind.

He made two very good points. First, safety should always come first. Secondly, some people value their time. He pointed out that there are cheap alternatives available and they might be considered.

You might not like his delivery, but his message is a good one. Be safe and consider inexpensive options. If you still need to call him names, do it in a PM.

Btw, it doesn't matter if you say "Please stay out of this thread as you have nothing to offer" or make any lame disclaimers at the begining of a thread. If you post in a sour or arrogant manner, expect for people to respond in kind.
Dude, go away or get a room with him.
Neither of you offer anything to this thread.
His first post that you didn't quote called me a kid and later an idiot and show me where I called him a name smart guy. :shrug:
These things are exactly why I wrote that disclaimer, but obviously its not worth the effort here.
-J

One warning only, to all. You will all be civil or us mods will do it for you.

Back on topic now.

Neither of you offer anything to this thread.

You have an engineering background? Great, same here, so explain to me this....

Contour springs are notorious for breaking, so explain to me what's smart/safe about increasing the stresses applied to each coil of a spring that's clearly not all that great as is?

These things are exactly why I wrote that disclaimer, but obviously its not worth the effort here.
-J

Expect opposition to what you're doing, I'm not going to stop opposition when it's warranted.

Last edited:
You have an engineering background? Great, same here, so explain to me this....

Contour springs are notorious for breaking, so explain to me what's smart/safe about increasing the stresses applied to each coil of a spring that's clearly not all that great as is?
OK, not really wanted to go farther with this but I'll play seeing as though you're a mod.
I have a BS, pinky ring to prove it. Did pretty well too :cool: . How about you?
Now, from the TSB I read, the '99-00 springs are not effected. If that is incorrect, please let me know. Also, we can agree to disagree, but what I plan on doing will not weaken the spring significantly if at all, or else I would not be doing it.
Please lets keep this on topic. And as you can see from the posts, I am the one trying to keep it that way. I'm not trying to come off abrasive, its just that I've been modifying cars (majority Mustang/SHO) for a while and I'm used to forums. I often see people regurg BS without real evidence. I did enough research that make ME comfortable doing this, it does not concern me with your opinion.
-J

I must say, in defense of the OP, that I had no ill effects on my car. No, I didn't "cut the springs," but the first bottom coil (the flat perch section) broke off after hitting a pothole (front left wheel). I honestly felt no difference in the ride for the couple thousand miles before I got it fixed...and that was on my lame GL. Just my $.02

....ut the first bottom coil (the flat perch section) broke off after hitting a pothole (front left wheel). I honestly felt no difference in the ride for the couple thousand miles before I got it fixed...and that was on my lame GL. Just my $.02

Yes, you felt no difference. Most other CEGers will. Even with bad springs most of us can feel a great difference. Your tires will let you know within a few thousand miles, i.e., you will see the tread being worn out.

Now, from the TSB I read, the '99-00 springs are not effected. If that is incorrect, please let me know.

May be correct that they aren't covered under the magical TSB, but FYI, BOTH rear springs on my SVT(99) were broken when i got it, and i've pulled broken coils out of a 2K too.

what I plan on doing will not weaken the spring significantly if at all, or else I would not be doing it.

As an engineer I would think you'd be against doing anything that would make something as important as a coil spring(again already notorious for breaking) even remotely weaker.

I did enough research that make ME comfortable doing this, it does not concern me with your opinion.

That's great, but exactly what's opinion about having real world first hand knowledge?

You need not worry about me regurgitating BS, i've got enough first hand experience with these cars to answer questions all by myself. ;)

Last edited:
I think your whole disclaimer is dumb. You want advice on how to do an unsafe mod on your suspension, but you don't want to hear from people who have valid concerns. And what do you expect the mods to do? You want them to delete posts if they don't conform to your standards? :shrug:

If you took your suspension as seriously as you take yourself, you would buy some springs or figure out to do this mod yourself. Good luck with your mod and make sure to take pictures OF THE ACCIDENT. ;)

Corrected.

The only time I would consider cutting a spring is on a truck. Seeing how the SVT springs come to a flat bottom instead of a truck spring where is keeps the coil going, If you cut that its going to make for a horrible situation. If you attempt to cut in the middle and re-weld, may god be with you. If anything, do what the asians do and heat your springs. You'll have a more bouncy ride but its a lot safer than cutting. Both unsafe but I think you'll get your ride drop that way.:shrug:

The only time I would consider cutting a spring is on a truck. Seeing how the SVT springs come to a flat bottom instead of a truck spring where is keeps the coil going, If you cut that its going to make for a horrible situation. If you attempt to cut in the middle and re-weld, may god be with you. If anything, do what the asians do and heat your springs. You'll have a more bouncy ride but its a lot safer than cutting. Both unsafe but I think you'll get your ride drop that way.:shrug:

You CLEARLY know nothing about what you're talking about. Do some research and then come back to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back