• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How much to cut front springs to lower 3/4-1"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
on what part?

I'll be nice and break it out for you.

The only time I would consider cutting a spring is on a truck. Seeing how the SVT springs come to a flat bottom instead of a truck spring where is keeps the coil going, If you cut that its going to make for a horrible situation.

Cutting springs on any vehicle is stupid until you know exactly what the effects of what you're doing are known, and follow careful procedure

If you attempt to cut in the middle and re-weld, may god be with you.

re-weld what? :confused:

do what the asians do

Um....biased much?

If anything, do what the asians do and heat your springs. You'll have a more bouncy ride but its a lot safer than cutting.

Heating the springs is dumber than cutting them, are you serious?

I'll be nice and break it out for you.

Cutting springs on any vehicle is stupid until you know exactly what the effects of what you're doing are known, and follow careful procedure

re-weld what? :confused:

Um....biased much?

Heating the springs is dumber than cutting them, are you serious?

I'm not saying its a good idea for either. I would not recomend either. The asian thing was based on what kw8z3boi said on the first page. I was just poking fun at it. I've heated springs on my piece of crap crx once and was basing on that. The re-weld thing was if he were to cut in the middle of the spring instead of the bottom. My apology if you consider my knowledge dumb. I kill too many brain cells about every weekend with Mr. Bud Light.

I have a BS, pinky ring to prove it. -J

Then if you're an engineer you know the formulas to calculate spring rates correct? Why are you asking opinions if you have all the answers?:shrug: Out of the 10 years I've been on CEG I've never seen anyone cut Contour springs. There has been talk but the kids are always talked out of it. You'd think with an engineering degree you would know the ill effects of cut OEM springs. Have fun bouncing down the street and killing your struts in 1000 miles.:help:

Then if you're an engineer you know the formulas to calculate spring rates correct? Why are you asking opinions if you have all the answers?:shrug: Out of the 10 years I've been on CEG I've never seen anyone cut Contour springs. There has been talk but the kids are always talked out of it. You'd think with an engineering degree you would know the ill effects of cut OEM springs. Have fun bouncing down the street and killing your struts in 1000 miles.:help:
Again with the dead-horse.
One thing you'd learn as an engineer is that all the formulas have to have defined assumptions. What I mean by this is that you can calculate all day, but the real-world result may be different, so I'd like to see some examples of how much someone cut and what the resulting drop was. I never said I have all the answers and never asked for opinions, just asked for "I cut X, here is the result, it lowered it X".
But I've got plenty of opinions from people like yourself, whose opinion means little to me unless you show me otherwise.
Also, the spring rate will remain very close to stock, just slightly stiffer.
If you read, I know of the ill effects and I also know it can (and has been done) correctly.
And bouncing up the street and killing the struts, come on man, get real. It will do neither, and look and the Cobra---I cut those springs and drove it harder than I'll drive the SVTC. Looked terrible and rode worse :rolleyes: .
I'm sorry you got your @ss hurt by my offer on your exhaust, but you don't have to be an @ss to me. You are the one who brought stuff to that thread when it could have stayed in a PM and you're the one who started name-calling here. Get over yourself man.
-J

One thing you'd learn as an engineer is that all the formulas have to have defined assumptions. What I mean by this is that you can calculate all day, but the real-world result may be different, so I'd like to see some examples of how much someone cut and what the resulting drop was. ....-J
I'm a Professional Engineer. There is a reason why formulas incorporate a Factor of Safety. What the Contour.org community (engineers and non engineers) are telling you is that it is not only a hazard to you, it is also a hazard to the rest of the other drivers on the road. You may want to try asking for suggestions for "cutting springs" from other forums. I'm quite sure you won't be getting much suggestions here. It is kinda like asking how much tread I should shave from my tires so that it sticks better on the public roads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back