• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Engine stutters after timing belt changed

gmangatjr

Be Gentle I'm New Here
I own a 98 Contour 4dr 2.0L. I just recently had the timing belt changed, now at idl the engine stutters. Almost sounds like it is about to stall but never does. Valve timing is spot on and EEC doesnt show any faults. The tech tells me he has no I dea where to start. Can someone shed some light on this PLEAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSEEEEEEE.

When installing or checking a timing belt on a VCT engine, the VCT gear must be in the correct position. Often it must be forced and held there with a spanner. Even dealer mechanics have messed this up.

When installing or checking a timing belt on a VCT engine, the VCT gear must be in the correct position. Often it must be forced and held there with a spanner. Even dealer mechanics have messed this up.

Correct, I got lucky, the first time Jared and I did it, it fired up without a problem. Man, what a relief that was to hear the thing roar....well if a zetec can roar lol.

Dammit!! This is frustrating as HELL! My Zetec sputters on tip-in. I'm sure that it's a VCT timing issue, but I CAN'T GET THE DAMN THING TO LINE UP!!!

Remove the plug on the exhaust cam, loosen the cam bolt, and I can't get the STUPID cam to adjust properly because of the spring loaded VCT crap. I'm gonna try retarding the cam sprocket by one more tooth to see if that helps or hurts... Damn Zetec. :mad:

<=== (* Off to RETARD the Zetec VCT *)

What Jared and I did, we put a file into where the cam alignment tool would be, then put TINY screw drivers on top of that (in between the cam and the file) to get the cams perfect...if that makes sense. Then one of us would hold the crank in the correct position while the other put the belt on.

I'm able to do that part by myself. It's the VCT that makes the freakin' difference here. I move the wheel one tooth advance and the car runs like ish. One tooth retard and the hesitation & sputtering at tip-in. I'll pull one more tooth of timing to see if that helps, but at that point the cams don't align as they are shown in the manuals - by a LOT. That is what makes it frustrating. The cam alignment on my particular car seems to be a thing of fiction....

I'm able to do that part by myself. It's the VCT that makes the freakin' difference here. I move the wheel one tooth advance and the car runs like ish. One tooth retard and the hesitation & sputtering at tip-in. I'll pull one more tooth of timing to see if that helps, but at that point the cams don't align as they are shown in the manuals - by a LOT. That is what makes it frustrating. The cam alignment on my particular car seems to be a thing of fiction....

Welp, finally got it solved. Advanced the timing by another tooth on the VCT gear & the car is running normally now. So what happens? The fuel pump fails the next day. :mad: Happy Fathers Day to me.... :blackeye:

Back