• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

CSVT and an Acura Integra Type R

By my count there were only 3850 ITR's over the 4 year run...as rare as an SVT is that's considerably less. I see just as many SE's, Sports, etc as I do LS's, GSR's, etc. It really just breaks down to a matter of preference I think.

honestly there not as fast as everyone thinks. I went to school with someone that owned a real ITR. Bright yellow, volk rims, intake, exhaust. Thing was clean as hell and he was a good driver...so tell me how i beat him by 1-2 lengths in my 2000 Maxima SE 5spd with just a K&N drop in and a axel back. We raced 3 times and one time i hit my limiter at 140. I took him every time pretty much every where i look it says a 00 Max 5spd will run the quarter in 14.7. Im not sure how fast a CSVT is. never raced one. I know my cousin had one and it was quick. So top end the ITR will pull away but down low i think the contour will pwn.

oh and with 15k ill take the S4 and slap some k04's on it...they easily beat stock sti's and evos

i havent known anyone with a ITR but my friend had a GSR, with some mods, on drag radials. it would spin the drag radials quite easy, and he said it felt fast, until you got in a fast car, i'm not sure. it's probably a decent match.

It's hard to give an answer to this question since I love both companies. From a personal stand point of dealing with Hondas for the past 10 years, the answer to this question does depend on a bunch of factors. Driver, driver's skill and experience, elevation and altitude, etc. Think about this:

2000 Ford SVT Contour: (excuse my lack of knowledge for the CSVT.)
2.5L V6 puts X power to the wheels and X torque to the wheels.
The car is a four door and weighs X amount without a driver.

2000 Acura Integra Type-R:
1.8L I4 puts 195hp to the crank and roughly 145-150tq. to the crank.
The car is a two door and weighs approx. 2700lbs without a driver.

From visual and personal experience, the Type-R would win over the CSVT in a straight line 1/4 mile and on a track. However, weight is where the CSVT will dominate when boosted. Since the Acura is lighter, it will roast tires and will take longer to grip since it is lighter. The CSVT when boosted is heavier therefore putting more weight over the front tires and ultimately taking a shorter time to grip and go. But once again. Many factors come into play.

Why does everyone keep bringing up weight like the ITR like its a lightweight car? My Mx6 used to eat my friends ITR for lunch every time we cruised together.

because the car is 2600 pounds with the same power as a csvt..

ITR>csvt

depending on driver point blank get over it.

i can buy three contours for the price of one ITR and its a cheaper feeling car i know my dad use to have one. it feels like the csvt but i revs to like damn near 8000rpm. speed wise it feels like the csvt. i honestly think i can beat one there is a secret little way to shift a contour if you drop the clutch it feels as if the trans is gonna fall out, and it gets boggy i ran under 15 seconds in a stock csvt with bad tires.

plus ITR's are ugly and expensive

The car is a four door and weighs X amount without a driver.

The CSVT when boosted is heavier therefore putting more weight over the front tires and ultimately taking a shorter time to grip and go. But once again. Many factors come into play.

If memory serves me right, I weighed my SVT when I got it. With me in it I think it was around 2860 lbs.

The weight thing I have to disagree with. Traction is 90% tire/wheel combination. And weight is still weight...and it still takes more power to move more weight.

Weight does matter in certain areas. And yes the wheel/tire combo does play a major role with grip. A 400hp Integra may be more likely to spin than a 400hp CSVT based primarily on weight. But to answer the original question, the Integra would probably take the CSVT.

The only areas I can see putting weight over the wheels making a difference is in a truck where there's virtually no weight over the drive wheels.

Any added benefit you'll get from adding weight for traction, you're going to lose from having to move the weight down the track, which is gonna slow you down (basic rule of thumb is 100 lbs = .1 ET).

You're saying that boosting an SVT is gonna give it a weight advantage...it's already heavier with the V6. Like I said, you're wheel/tire combination is gonna account for this biggest part of your traction. The other big component is going to be your suspension setup (I can attest to this). Looking at it from that point though, the ITR has upgraded suspension compared to a regular or GSR Integra.

because the car is 2600 pounds with the same power as a csvt

Honda listed the Type-R at 2800 pounds and a 15.24 1/4 time but those do seem a touch high.
As far as power goes I'd much rather have power throughout powerband instead of a high peak when you really get up in the revs and shift.

Because the SVT motor has tons of torque? WTF the stock 3l has more torque then the friggin 2.5L people. The CSVT is a turd out of the hole if you don't give it any gas or it spins the tires from over revving it. This is an apples to oranges comparison. Light weight high revving 4cyl against a heavy slow revving V6. The 2.5 is a turd unless your tapping the rev limiter on shifts and even then it leaves something to be desired once you hit about 60mph. The CSVT is not a drag car like the ITR. These are drivers cars, just the ITr is meant to eat alive anything in its way on the track. The track records of the ITR speak for themselves. The CSVT and Cougar have been raced with nothing but a track record of blowing transmissions, headgaskets and racking up DNF's.

If you want to find out if your CSVT can hold its own go to an open track day and find out. And if you half a brain you'll be autoxing it or at a track the has TURNS!

just the ITr is meant to eat alive anything in its way on the track.

:confused:
:nonono:
BWAHAHAHAHHAHAH

Don't you think that's a little bit of a stretch?

Please read the actual thread and see the "times" and "history" that is proven.. its so close that its a toss up with a slight edge being given to the ITR (id give it like 55 out of 100 races).. There is no "eating alive" of everything in its path.. there is no "fast revving" anything (at least, not by comparison to the V6 Duratec, which is a fairly fast revving engine, in and of itself)

Its just a different approach to the same answer... you can get to the end of a track in it..

Last edited:
there is no "fast revving" anything (at least, not by comparison to the V6 Duratec, which is a fairly fast revving engine, in and of itself)

You must be joking...right?

I think my 4.6 SOHC revs as fast as the Duratec...

no... I wasn't joking.. its all relative.. and the ITR isn't "fast revving" by any marginal amount in comparison to this platform.

PERSONALLY, I think my car revs a lot faster than most, so its a moot point, but still, even a stock SVT is comparable to the ITR in that (REALLY ASININE TO MEASURE) aspect.

Because the SVT motor has tons of torque?

Light weight high revving 4cyl against a heavy slow revving V6. The 2.5 is a turd unless your tapping the rev limiter on shifts and even then it leaves something to be desired once you hit about 60mph.

The CSVT is not a drag car like the ITR. These are drivers cars, just the ITr is meant to eat alive anything in its way on the track. The track records of the ITR speak for themselves.

If you want to find out if your CSVT can hold its own go to an open track day and find out. And if you half a brain you'll be autoxing it or at a track the has TURNS!

Compared to an Integra it certainly does.

I thought I already debunked that light weight vs heavy weight assumption.

The ITR is not a drag car period. Thats like saying the NSX and S2000 are drag cars which will get you laughed at.

Exactly. The CSVT was meant to be a corner carver just like the ITR was.

no... I wasn't joking.. its all relative.. and the ITR isn't "fast revving" by any marginal amount in comparison to this platform.

PERSONALLY, I think my car revs a lot faster than most, so its a moot point, but still, even a stock SVT is comparable to the ITR in that (REALLY ASININE TO MEASURE) aspect.

uhhhh for some reason the honda vetec revs alot faster then the svt

Back