• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

CSVT and an Acura Integra Type R

gsr has 180 hp, and the csvt is just a tiny bit faster, basically a drivers race around town but on the highway it would be the gsr, so i definetly think the type r would beat a csvt.

the gsr that i went against was tuned and had intake/header/exhaust.

Guys, im talking about a 3L btw.

why can't you throw a good set of struts and springs on a 98-00 v6 se?

different sway bars etc. IRCC the pre 98 SE's had a larger sway bar than even the SVT.

EDIT: from the main page
No. As Ford has phrased it, the SE has the "sport tuned suspension", while V6 equipped Contour GL/LX and Mystique GS/LS have the "performance tuned suspension." What is the real difference? The SE has stiffer springs, sport struts, and thicker anti-sway bars. Here is a table showing the spring stiffness of each model:

It gets even more confusing with the new 1998.5 models, where essentially the GL is gone, the LX is what the GL used to be and the SE is basically the LX. The available "sport" package on the SE gets you up the the relatively same level as the 1998 SE. A 4-cylinder SE with steel wheels? Yes, it's now possible (how awful!)

Suspension specs pre-1998

F spring R spring F strut R strut F bar R bar
GL/LX 4-cyl 18 kn/m 16 kn/m base base 20mm(.79) 17mm(.67)
GL/LX 6-cyl 20 kn/m 16 kn/m base base 20mm(.79) 17mm(.67)
SE 24 kn/m 21 kn/m sport sport 20mm(.79) 19mm(.75)

Suspension specs 1998

GL/LX 4-cyl 18 kn/m 16 kn/m base base 20mm(.79) 17mm(.67)
GL/LX 6-cyl 20 kn/m 16 kn/m base base 20mm(.79) 17mm(.67)
SE 20 kn/m 16 kn/m sport sport 20mm(.79) 19mm(.75)

Suspension specs 1998.5

LX 4-cyl 18 kn/m 16 kn/m base base 20mm(.79) 16mm(.63)
LX 6-cyl 20 kn/m 16 kn/m base base 20mm(.79) 17mm(.67)
SE 4-cyl 18 kn/m 16 kn/m base base 20mm(.79) 18mm(.71)
SE 6-cyl 20 kn/m 16 kn/m sport sport 20mm(.79) 18mm(.71)

There was a Type R at the drag strip when I went a couple weeks back. He was running mid to high 15s from what I remember. I really would have enjoyed lining up next to him in my car.

why can't you throw a good set of struts and springs on a 98-00 v6 se?
You can. The early SE's were pretty close to SVT's in handling to begin as is. (Same rear bar, better springs, slightly softer struts, lighter!) Surely you can add parts to the newer cars and get great results since the platform is basically identical. That was my way of complimenting the setup on the early SE's. They still have the best trunk spoiler bar none. :laugh:

oh man... like i said before a GSR vs svt is a drivers race, lets hypothetically say that i might have raced a 92 gsr hatchback swap, was tuned with some bolt ons against my tuned 3L was a drivers race, i pulled him 1st and 2nd, he pulled me 3rd gear, but i beat him in shifting, and i was about 3/4 of a car length ahead in a makeshift quarter mile.

stock for stock, the csvt pulls decently against a gsr. a type r however, might not go so well. off the line a csvt might pull a little, but theres about a 500 pound difference which would give the type r more top end and most likely the win..

There was a Type R at the drag strip when I went a couple weeks back. He was running mid to high 15s from what I remember. I really would have enjoyed lining up next to him in my car.

he was probably doing :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty launches, according to some honda-tech members (http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=62278) the type R should run somewhere around 15.1-14.9 depending on the driver. http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...ntegra_type_r_vs_toyota_celica_gts/index.html
on this link, the motor trend guys managed to pull a 14.8 quarter mile time, (third paragraph at the bottom). im sorry to say but stock SVT contour vs stock typeR, the contour would loose.

he was probably doing :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty launches, according to some honda-tech members (http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=62278) the type R should run somewhere around 15.1-14.9 depending on the driver. http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...ntegra_type_r_vs_toyota_celica_gts/index.html
on this link, the motor trend guys managed to pull a 14.8 quarter mile time, (third paragraph at the bottom). im sorry to say but stock SVT contour vs stock typeR, the contour would loose.

And a guy has managed a 14.8 on a SVT with a res delete and k&n.

ok, further down on the honda-tech link, people have done low 14's with basic bolt-ons too. i was merely comparing a stock csvt to a stock type-r

Wow the age old thread...

Driver's race no matter who's fence you are on or how jaded you get. Couple tenths either way tops. If I had to pick. 51 of 100 to the ITR based on weight and the fact the CDW-27 sucks to launch. :shrug:

The ITR has the weight advantage and the SVT has CoD and flat powerband. This was the age old debate nearly 10 years ago and I always said it was a compliment to be compared to a purpose built 2 DOOR FWD track car since we were a mildly hopped up family 4 door.

I was thinking about this the other day. One of my employees bought a CSVT when they first came out. At the same time I was shopping an Integra Type R. Two really different cars but one contest the Type R wins hands down with a TKO is resale value. A good condition, one owner, high mileage, unmolested Type R brings about $15k today, equivalent CSVT $4k. Price of both cars brand new was almost the same $22-$23k.

I was thinking about this the other day. One of my employees bought a CSVT when they first came out. At the same time I was shopping an Integra Type R. Two really different cars but one contest the Type R wins hands down with a TKO is resale value. A good condition, one owner, high mileage, unmolested Type R brings about $15k today, equivalent CSVT $4k. Price of both cars brand new was almost the same $22-$23k.

Very true point. My friend bought his last year around this time I believe for $16k, number 00-00271...so it's a fairly low number (not sure of total produced though).

So, you are saying buy a turboed 3.0l CSVT and a stock CSVT for the same price as a Type R? :laugh:

LoL...well I'm sure the limited production of the Type-R is a driving factor in it's price. How many do you see? I think I've only ever seen maybe 5 real ones. You'll see many more CSVT's.

You are handed 15k and told either to buy a Type R integra or a CSVT... So you get the integra and are out 15k, but have a Type R.. Buy the SVT, and 3L conversion with turbo and other mods and your looking at maybe top end 10k:shrug:? Now lets see who wins :laugh::laugh:... oh and the extra 5K! you have left, might as well just go buy anther CSVT for the hell of it :rolleyes::rolleyes:... And anther thing, it doesnt sound like a rice can!:rolleyes:

You are handed 15k and told either to buy a Type R integra or a CSVT... So you get the integra and are out 15k, but have a Type R.. Buy the SVT, and 3L conversion with turbo and other mods and your looking at maybe top end 10k:shrug:? Now lets see who wins :laugh::laugh:... oh and the extra 5K! you have left, might as well just go buy anther CSVT for the hell of it :rolleyes::rolleyes:... And anther thing, it doesnt sound like a rice can!:rolleyes:

very very good point or you can get a 2000 audi s4 for 11k and pee on everybody with 4k in your pocket.

i dunno it will be close you will have to be a really good driver with that turbo svt. got a buddy with a 2001 s4. yea nothing done but a boost controller and that thing pulls very hard.0-60 stock is what 5.5 some places i read 5.3. his car feel like 4.3..!:) i have a e39 m5 so i know his audi is crazy fast with just a boost controller.

Back