• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Just came back from the strip...

Nima, I've already asked this twice with no response. Are you going to dyno your car?

I think this would really help us to see what your platform is making in terms of power. Demon appears to have no interest in terms of dynoing his car, so it would be nice to see what kind of numbers your car is putting down.

Last edited:
Nima, I've already asked this twice with no response. Are you going to dyno your car?

I think this would really help us to see what your platform is making in terms of power. Demon appears to have no interest in terms of dynoing his car, so it would be nice to see what kind of numbers your car is putting down.

I'll make sure he dyno's the car by spring time :cool:.We will have pretty much the same setup in the spring time and would be a great time to dyno our cars back to back.

Aaron

Not really in a rush (and also haven't had the time) to dyno since the numbers don't mean much and can't use for comparison unless you have the same cars running on the same dyno preferably the same day...

Either way from the 1/4 times my guesstimate is that the engine should be making somewhere around 270hp

i wouldnt excatly consider myself a crappy driver or however u put it. i've been driving since i was 9.(africa). remember, some of us are turboed. theres a very thin line between holding traction and none at all. a 200+whp tour will take off very nicely with little wheel spin at around 3500rpm, keep good traction through the gears and its gone. a 300+whp and 300ft/lbs tour on the other hand isnt that easy. with street tires??? 4getaboudit! that 14.4 was my first run ever at a track. i'm sure i can do better. gimmie the car with just enough power n torque, and some of us will be there or close.

And my grandma has been driving for over 60 years - length of time spent driving has zero correlation to skill on the drag strip.

And my grandma has been driving for over 60 years - length of time spent driving has zero correlation to skill on the drag strip.

no disrespect, but thats bologne. by ur reasoning then, someone who got a license yesterday will do equal or better than someone who's been driving for a while no matter the circumstances. my comment about the length of time i've been driving was only to try n show that am not that bad a driver. answer me this... are u the same driver today at the strip that u were the very first time u went there? didnt think so. time passing = experience = better driver.

Not really in a rush (and also haven't had the time) to dyno since the numbers don't mean much and can't use for comparison unless you have the same cars running on the same dyno preferably the same day...

See my comment in the post above yours :cool:.

Aaron

no disrespect, but thats bologne. by ur reasoning then, someone who got a license yesterday will do equal or better than someone who's been driving for a while no matter the circumstances. my comment about the length of time i've been driving was only to try n show that am not that bad a driver. answer me this... are u the same driver today at the strip that u were the very first time u went there? didnt think so. time passing = experience = better driver.
I agree with you that experience is important but in regards to driving on the track----some guys have it and some guys don't, regardless of experience.
-J

Either way from the 1/4 times my guesstimate is that the engine should be making somewhere around 270hp
Just wondering how you got 270? Have you weighed it yet?
-J

no disrespect, but thats bologne.

Bologna.

by ur reasoning then, someone who got a license yesterday will do equal or better than someone who's been driving for a while no matter the circumstances.

I'm not guaranteeing that every new licensee is better than every experienced driver, I'm just saying that's a possibility.

my comment about the length of time i've been driving was only to try n show that am not that bad a driver.

I understand. But you don't understand why that's not true. Like I said, someone can drive a car for a long long time and still be terrible at it.

answer me this... are u the same driver today at the strip that u were the very first time u went there? didnt think so. time passing = experience = better driver.

Well I've only been to the drag strip once, but I did manage to crack off a 2.20 60' time on tires that were too bald for me to use on normal roads and a car with 188hp to the wheels - I'd venture to guess this puts me around at least average for this site, especially considering it was the first time I ever went to the drag strip. I am by no means saying that I'm the best driver here, just in the better half. On the other hand, it looks like you've run one of the slowest times for a boosted Contour. Can you guess where that puts you on the spectrum? I'm not saying you can't improve once you get more familiar with the car, but the only evidence of your driving ability is a mid-14s quarter mile in a car that should be doing easy mid-13s. What does this say about you?

Bologna.

I'm not guaranteeing that every new licensee is better than every experienced driver, I'm just saying that's a possibility.

I understand. But you don't understand why that's not true. Like I said, someone can drive a car for a long long time and still be terrible at it.

Well I've only been to the drag strip once, but I did manage to crack off a 2.20 60' time on tires that were too bald for me to use on normal roads and a car with 188hp to the wheels - I'd venture to guess this puts me around at least average for this site, especially considering it was the first time I ever went to the drag strip. I am by no means saying that I'm the best driver here, just in the better half. On the other hand, it looks like you've run one of the slowest times for a boosted Contour. Can you guess where that puts you on the spectrum? I'm not saying you can't improve once you get more familiar with the car, but the only evidence of your driving ability is a mid-14s quarter mile in a car that should be doing easy mid-13s. What does this say about you?

the mid 14s run was simply a screw up in my first run ever. u on the other hand were fortunate, in addition to ur ok driving;). maybe u missed it the first time i said it; a 300+whp tour is not easy to take off at. it takes quite a bit of practice. practice that i havnt had time for yet. i dunno if u've driven a turboed tour yet, but u probably would have to take one for a spin to see what am talking about. besides, my 60ft explains exactly why i'm a sec behind the fastest tours. my nerves got the best of me while waiting for the green light:mad:. a few more take off runs, and i should be fine. pssst... oh, by the way, bald tires are exactly what u need on the dragstrip;).

the mid 14s run was simply a screw up in my first run ever. u on the other hand were fortunate, in addition to ur ok driving;).

Are you serious? Knowing nothing about me, my driving ability, and my time at the dragstrip, you chalk up my times to luck? I suppose it wouldn't matter that I put down 10+ sub-15 second runs that day, and my second and third runs were both 14.7?

maybe u missed it the first time i said it; a 300+whp tour is not easy to take off at.

Nope, I didn't miss it. But the "good" drivers can manage it.

it takes quite a bit of practice. practice that i havnt had time for yet.

And once you do that, you might be a "good" driver. Until then, not so much.

pssst... oh, by the way, bald tires are exactly what u need on the dragstrip;).

Actually, tires that provide good traction are what you need at the drag strip, not tires that break loose at the top of first in a car with 188whp. But hey, what do I know, I just got lucky, right?

Are you serious? Knowing nothing about me, my driving ability, and my time at the dragstrip, you chalk up my times to luck? I suppose it wouldn't matter that I put down 10+ sub-15 second runs that day, and my second and third runs were both 14.7?

Nope, I didn't miss it. But the "good" drivers can manage it.

And once you do that, you might be a "good" driver. Until then, not so much.

Actually, tires that provide good traction are what you need at the drag strip, not tires that break loose at the top of first in a car with 188whp. But hey, what do I know, I just got lucky, right?

i'm tired of argueing with u dude. nuthn's gettn thru ur cranium. 10 sub15 runs means u had practice. bottomline. besides, if u were as good as u say u were, u'd hit 14.6 everytime or better. so a LITTLE luck then on ur first try?;). bald tires are better on the dragstrip dude. how could u not know that?... really? if u wanna keep this up, as if u were 2yrs old, be my guest. for now, i'll keep quiet till i'm able to better my times... wow. and all i said was "I'm not that crappy a driver." Goodness!!! i cant stand unnecessary childish behaviour from an adult:mad:. sad thing is purplemystique, u act that way quite a bit. anyway, am done. hey 96, when u do get a chance, i'd also like to see what u're putting to the ground with ur setup in terms of power.

really? if u wanna keep this up, as if u were 2yrs old, be my guest.

Okay.

i'm tired of argueing with u dude. nuthn's gettn thru ur cranium. 10 sub15 runs means u had practice. bottomline.

No it doesn't. It means I was consistent from the start.

besides, if u were as good as u say u were, u'd hit 14.6 everytime or better. so a LITTLE luck then on ur first try?;).

Of course not. Times varied a lot due to air temperature, tire temperature, engine temperature, and clutch condition, not just my own skill. Two of my three fastest runs of the night were in my first three runs.

bald tires are better on the dragstrip dude. how could u not know that?...

Okay, well tell 96BlackSE to ditch those worthless drag radials for some super-awesome worn out street tires since they'll net him way better times. Is this what you're saying?

Alrightyyy then......lets get back on track here lol.

Because i want to smoke both of you guys with my stock 2.5L engine.It only has bolt ons.:laugh:

Back