• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My biggest financial mistake...

My decision came down to this, a MS3, Civic Si, or Mini Coop S. New and used...

Mine came to the same choices (and the Volvo C30), but I didn't have any interest in the Cobalt. The underpinnings are appealing, I've just never been a huge fan of the design. The new ones certainly deserve some credit, they are cool little cars. The A pillar pod is about the coolest thing I've seen on any of the "boy racer" models.

Pete's right on the Mini. Add that to the fact that the nearest dealer to me is 60+ miles (with spotty service history) and I didn't bite.

The C30 is great, but once you get what I consider to be necessary options (like cruise for cryin' out loud) the car priced itself out of what I was looking for ($26K+).

The MS3 was my second choice, I just decided that probably wasn't the best long term choice. Fun as hell though!

Enjoy the new ride!

"Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full."

Not even close. Base Vetter is over 4lb/hp better than the Cobalt SS.

Still a fantastic little car. I had one for a while during the development and was impressed for what it is.

-Todd

Where did you get this info? My info came from the guys at gm which designed this car, they told me this when I was on the power tour for hot rod magazine. I'm talking a base model new vette, I'm going to take gm's word as these guys built this car from the ground up!

I think "newsvt" is just a little confused. The base Vette has more power per pound hands down. I think he was told by the GM guys that is has more power per liter and things got a little confused in his head!

Anyways, very nice Pete! Congrats. :)

Where did you get this info? My info came from the guys at gm which designed this car, they told me this when I was on the power tour for hot rod magazine. I'm talking a base model new vette, I'm going to take gm's word as these guys built this car from the ground up!

From GM's own press releases.

2008 Cobalt SS:
2967lb curb weight
260 hp

2967 / 260 = 11.4 lb/hp

2008 Corvette Coupe
3217lb curb weight
436 hp

3217/436= 7.4 lb/hp

7.4 < 11.4 Its not rocket science.

-Todd

I think "newsvt" is just a little confused. The base Vette has more power per pound hands down. I think he was told by the GM guys that is has more power per liter and things got a little confused in his head!

Anyways, very nice Pete! Congrats. :)

Very likely. Either that, or it was one of the one-off cars they did for the power tour. I helped with the brake package on a Z06 powered Solstice for the Power Tour a few years back.

-Todd

lmao!!

don't lie, you loved it when pete packed it into your rear end!

I only did it so I could tell people I experimented once at a car meet.

But seriously, the worst part about it was it was the SECOND time the almost exact thing happened to that car. At least the repair job was better the second time around. Though it did result in my trunk lid rusting :( still haven't found a suitable replacement.

btw Pete, nice choice on the car, you'll have to let me drive it one of these days, since SilverSnake won't risk his job to let me drive any of his prototypes, lol.

Sadly that accident is still haunting me, but will go off my record this January.

Still, $200 a mo for insurance on this isn't too bad considering.

This January it will go down and then again in March when I turn 25. :eek:

Sadly that accident is still haunting me, but will go off my record this January.

Still, $200 a mo for insurance on this isn't too bad considering.

This January it will go down and then again in March when I turn 25. :eek:

Sweet balls of fury!!!!! $200/month. Ouch. $60/month here full coverage. :laugh:

I also didn't know the new SS's have 260 hp. That is quite the little mover, it would seem.

Well yeah, $60 a month on a ten year old car...if it was totaled out what would your ins company be out...$5000 max...

kbb says $6100 thank you. :shocked: How are the stock tires on that thing...I just don't like the stock tires on any car. Normally seems like a subpar tire for like $300 each.

kbb says $6100 thank you. :shocked: How are the stock tires on that thing...I just don't like the stock tires on any car. Normally seems like a subpar tire for like $300 each.

They grip very well.

I was used to $80 a month for full coverage on my Envoy...so I know what you're saying...it is a leap...but I'm only young once. What is scary is my friends saying, "oh man that is awesome, if only I didn't need to put a baby seat in the back..."

I may only have a couple more years of fun left... :shocked:

Well yeah, $60 a month on a ten year old car...if it was totaled out what would your ins company be out...$5000 max...

$200 per month! :eek: Both of my SVTs together are like 30% less than that. And my dad's Denali is only like $850 per year for full coverage and low deductibles with me listed as a driver on it. When he looked at insurance for a new Corvette, it was even less than that. You have a bad record or something?

Back