• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Bogging down

SVTnKC

CEG'er
Hmmm... So i'm thinking distributor... Here's what's going on. Every so often, she'll die off the start and other times, when i go to give her gas she boggs down. Most the time in 2nd... After a good warm up.. no problems. No white smoke... So, i'm not thinking Gasket. The rpms will act like they want to raise, but just can't get there. ? Any Thoughts?

THANKS!

Ouch, see that's what i thought... and i tried looking before... but that's the previous problem i had with my Chev's! So the IMRC huh, aight i'll get a code on her and see what's up ! THANKS FOR THE INPUT

No distributor in the Contours.

Post the exact CEL codes. How many miles on the car? Does it bog down at 3500 RPM or so? If yes, chances are your IMRC is broken.

Read post no. 3 in this thread.
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=22104&highlight=IMRC

IMRC failure would almost ALWAYS make your CEL illuminate.

You would have NORMAL drivability at or below ~3200rpm but once you get to 3200-3750 (WOT or part throttle respectively) you will fall FLAT on your face. NO power.. that's it.. stops pulling.

Is this your problem?

IMRC failure would almost ALWAYS make your CEL illuminate.

You would have NORMAL drivability at or below ~3200rpm but once you get to 3200-3750 (WOT or part throttle respectively) you will fall FLAT on your face. NO power.. that's it.. stops pulling.

Is this your problem?

Hey I've been having that exact same problem.... exactly what you are say is whats happening to my 99 svt. so what does that mean? Is that bad? :help: :help: :help: :shrug: Ow and whats an IMRC relay? pls help.

Last edited:
Get the CEL code(s) read free at Autozone or Advance. Then post exact codes here.

The IMRC costs about $200 and may be one hour labor (about $100) to install. If you are handy, may want to try repairing it. It is located under the plastic Water Pump (says DURATEC DOHC on it) cover.

From Sticky on top of this forum. Duratec Maintenance-Read First.
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=41

Get the CEL code(s) read free at Autozone or Advance. Then post exact codes here.

The IMRC costs about $200 and may be one hour labor (about $100) to install. If you are handy, may want to try repairing it. It is located under the plastic Water Pump (says DURATEC DOHC on it) cover.

From Sticky on top of this forum. Duratec Maintenance-Read First.
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=41

Well whats the CEL codes? dont know but im pretty handy and me and my cousin could try and fix it.... but what goes wrong with it though? Does it get carbon build up and close it? thats what kinda ive heard.

Check Engine Light codes. Go to Autozone or Advance and get it read free and then post it here.

The IMRC module (Intake Manifold Runner Control) opens the secondary butterflies when at higher RPM, given more air to the engine (for more power).

Carbon build up might rob away some power but won't make the engine go flat at 3500 RPM or so.

Back