• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My biggest financial mistake...

You bought a new car now?

ughhh, bad idea to say the least, financially that is. Buying used would have saved you a lot of money and got you a MUCH nicer car.

I like the new cobalts though, and that in dash display is pretty funky.

And the idiot speaks! You have zero tact...

I thought about going used, but when you factor in things like...no warranty and repair costs...you might as well buy new.

Right now is a great time to buy with all the deals they have going...

And the idiot speaks! You have zero tact...

I thought about going used, but when you factor in things like...no warranty and repair costs...you might as well buy new.

Right now is a great time to buy with all the deals they have going...
I slightly agree with Tourige on this one (dear God!). If you buy from a dealer, a used car will still have a warranty. Sure, not as long, but it will still have one. Also, the car will already have gone through it's largest stage of depreciation. So you're basically comparing the warranty with it's depreciation + 20/30k miles. :shrug: It's a bit of a toss up. That being said, I'm glad you got the new model Cobalt SS. The old ones are just as a "souped up Cavalier," as was said. Pretty good pickup.

I slightly agree with Tourige on this one (dear God!). If you buy from a dealer, a used car will still have a warranty. Sure, not as long, but it will still have one. Also, the car will already have gone through it's largest stage of depreciation. So you're basically comparing the warranty with it's depreciation + 20/30k miles. :shrug: It's a bit of a toss up. That being said, I'm glad you got the new model Cobalt SS. The old ones are just as a "souped up Cavalier," as was said. Pretty good pickup.

My decision came down to this, a MS3, Civic Si, or Mini Coop S. New and used...

Used Mini Cooper S models on dealer lots have insane inflated prices. Basically MSRP for a 2 year old car with 30k miles. The new models are also pulling a silly premium.

I really thought about used, but the deals just weren't there.

For an extra 3k I get to be the original owner of a brand new car...I'll take it!

n2306597_47984534_1553.jpg

Yeah, the cars you were looking at don't depreciate, so I guess that made for an easy decision :crazy: :laugh:

The Cooper S models had depreciated, but not enough for me to buy, in fact with the whole shortage of them, some dealers were asking over MSRP...fug that...next year when MINI cranks out more models to keep up with demand I would have lost my ass on it...

It's going to be hard to tell how this car will depreciate. The 07 SS/SC depreciated like a rock because of this 08 SS/TC model, but this drivetrain should stay in place for some time and the Cruze will be sold alongside the Cobalt for a couple of years. :drool:

one thing I don't understand is when people say they would rather have a new car with a warranty vs a 1-2 year old car with less of a warranty. When you take the car off the lot, you lose a certain percentage of the "value" of the car right away. What repair would even come close to the initial hit of depreciation on a brand new car in the 1st year or 2? Normally we are talking thousands of dollars.

I have never seen a forum look down on people for buying new / newer (expensive) cars like this one. If this was a non automotive related forum, then yeah I could see why. But coming from a bunch of car enthusiasts, I just dont get it. Buncha snappers I tell ya! Anyway, congrats pete. The SS looks really nice. I have a newer car planned myself. Im not going to call it a financial mistake though, cars are my hobby, worth every penny to me.

I have never seen a forum look down on people for buying new / newer (expensive) cars like this one. If this was a non automotive related forum, then yeah I could see why. But coming from a bunch of car enthusiasts, I just dont get it. Buncha snappers I tell ya! Anyway, congrats pete. The SS looks really nice. I have a newer car planned myself. Im not going to call it a financial mistake though, cars are my hobby, worth every penny to me.

I think the main reason why people come down on others here for a new car is because the person why buys it is normally a younger buyer who just got a new job etc. When people like Joey, Kim, or Hector buy new most people know they afford them. I might be wrong. :shrug:

See this is not a financial mistake, it is an investment in enjoying life. Now what you should do is sell rides for $1 to make up for the price of new :laugh:.

Understand that but still...
Looks like I'm going to get a ton of crap if this deal works out for me. I dont really care though... As long as I can pay my tuition every semester then Im happy.

one thing I don't understand is when people say they would rather have a new car with a warranty vs a 1-2 year old car with less of a warranty. When you take the car off the lot, you lose a certain percentage of the "value" of the car right away. What repair would even come close to the initial hit of depreciation on a brand new car in the 1st year or 2? Normally we are talking thousands of dollars.

That depreciation is ONLY REALIZED if you sell it within 1-2 years of purchase. :blackeye:

I can't take credit for that...someone on Xceedspeed has something pretty similar.

"Plus I'm going to have very little opportunity to have a fun sports car in my future since I'll probably have kids with my future wife in a couple years.

Live in the now, any new car is a bad decision, think of every penny that goes into your car as a penny spent on making you smile everytime you drive to your boring job."

"Plus I'm going to have very little opportunity to have a fun sports car in my future since I'll probably have kids with my future wife in a couple years.

Live in the now, any new car is a bad decision, think of every penny that goes into your car as a penny spent on making you smile everytime you drive to your boring job."

Ahhh yes, soooooo true.

Pete, love the car. That little ecotek <sp> is a fantasitic motor and I am sure the aftermarket will treat it well. Congrats on getting what you want.

The ecotecs are awesome. Great gas mileage is a plus for the power it generates. I have 9500 miles on my sky turbo and haven't gotten anything less than 24mpg city driving. Highway I get approximately 33mpg if I use the cruise control. There are a few vendors out there that are working on several tunes that will bump up the HP/Tq

Mild re-fresh.

The supercharged LSJ engine was gone after 2007MY, it is no longer available.

The SIDI Ecotec is just fantastic, so smooth for a 4 banger and fuel efficient to boot! I've only got 70 miles on it and I am averaging about 23mpg and I haven't touched the highway. :drool:

Here is some info on the display...

Air / fuel ratio (yes it has a real wideband)
Shift light
Digital MPH
Boost
Engine Temp
Outside Temp
Current weather for the day
Tire pressure
Oil Temp
Spark advance
Knock retard
Engine HP and TQ
Cam Phaser
G – meter
Digital gear number you’re currently in.

rpd3pz7.png

Back