• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My biggest financial mistake...

$200 per month! :eek: Both of my SVTs together are like 30% less than that. And my dad's Denali is only like $850 per year for full coverage and low deductibles with me listed as a driver on it. When he looked at insurance for a new Corvette, it was even less than that. You have a bad record or something?

Again, a 10 year old car compared to a new one is not apples to apples.

Also, how old is your dad? 40's. 50's. 60's.

That also makes a difference...

How many cars on the insurance etc...

I have no speeding tickets, but an at fault accident in 06 that wasn't really my fault...

That will go away in January and I turn 25 in March.

How old are you? Go out and get yourself some insurance quotes and then come back and talk to me... :rolleyes:

does not compute.....self destruct......booom.

How in the world.....

Multiple car discount (CSVT is about the same per month, maybe slightly cheaper) no at fault accidents and over 25. And its not skimpy coverage, I've got high limits and a $500 deductible on collision, $100 on comprehensive.

$200 per month! :eek: Both of my SVTs together are like 30% less than that. And my dad's Denali is only like $850 per year for full coverage and low deductibles with me listed as a driver on it. When he looked at insurance for a new Corvette, it was even less than that. You have a bad record or something?

Go out and get yourself some insurance quotes and then come back and talk to me...

yup, having your own insurance is going to be alot different then being on your own policy.

and since we are doing the insurance thing again ... my bill for a year is $2200 for 3 vehicles, 2 with full coverage and one with everything but collision. So that is ~$183 a month or $61 a car a month ... plus paying up front for the year I get a dividend check ...

must hold tongue . . .

Ok, I have to say, who's responsibility was it to maintain the brakes on your oldsmobuick? :D

I replaced several feet of hard brake lines...I would have replaced more but I couldn't jack it up in certain spots because the jack went through the body of the car...

Moral of the story...don't buy beaters to save money...because it will bite you and your friends in the ass...literally...

From GM's own press releases.

2008 Cobalt SS:
2967lb curb weight
260 hp

2967 / 260 = 11.4 lb/hp

2008 Corvette Coupe
3217lb curb weight
436 hp

3217/436= 7.4 lb/hp

7.4 < 11.4 Its not rocket science.

-Todd

I understand it's not rocket science I haven't ever really looked at the specs as I just took his word for it. He was driving the yellow SS/TC on the powertour and that's what he was telling everybody there. He was part of gm's design team for that project.

I understand it's not rocket science I haven't ever really looked at the specs as I just took his word for it. He was driving the yellow SS/TC on the powertour and that's what he was telling everybody there. He was part of gm's design team for that project.

Again, either he wasn't driving a stock Cobalt SS, or you misunderstood what he said.

Multiple car discount (CSVT is about the same per month, maybe slightly cheaper) no at fault accidents and over 25. And its not skimpy coverage, I've got high limits and a $500 deductible on collision, $100 on comprehensive.

Similar figures going on over here. $900/yr for the MS6
Age of owner, driving record, number of vehicles, location, etc all help make for some decent rates.

yup, having your own insurance is going to be alot different then being on your own policy.

and since we are doing the insurance thing again ... my bill for a year is $2200 for 3 vehicles, 2 with full coverage and one with everything but collision. So that is ~$183 a month or $61 a car a month ... plus paying up front for the year I get a dividend check ...

That IS my own personal policy. insurance is cheaper in Texas. we don't have dangerous things like snow and such.

Nice ride. Did you get the lsd? I know they were options in the HHR SS's. I didn't realize they lapped Nurburgring that quick. Does anyone know the time the MS3 laid down?

Still, factor in the cost to replace a vehicle 5x the cost of a Contour and $200 a month doesn't seem that bad...

It will go down shortly...if not, I will change providers...

I'm not going to argue with you that either of my two 8 eight year old Contours are comprable to a new car, but that amount is SIGNIFICANTLY more than what I was paying a few years ago driving a new car worth more than that Cobalt, with more power, and being considerably younger than you are now. That being said I reiterate that I like the car and I hope you enjoy it. I would be interested in one myself if I could fit into them.

Still, factor in the cost to replace a vehicle 5x the cost of a Contour and $200 a month doesn't seem that bad...
And you have an accident on your record. Not bad at all.
$255/mo here ... multi-car discount, no collision on the SVT, and completely clean record. It would be $50/mo less if I lived in any surrounding town (though this is cheap compared to Boston).

Again, either he wasn't driving a stock Cobalt SS, or you misunderstood what he said.

Would the real hp number change this? I know gm under rates these cars, I had a 06' SS/SC which was said to be rated at 205hp, once put on the rollers was a different story the car put down 217.5whp. I'm sure it's the same with this year as well.

But you are currect it could have been modded or simply more boost as this was a gm car :laugh: I know I didn't misunderstand

How do you guys get such cheap rates. I have zero points with full coverage paying $109 a month.:nonono:

Einsurance offerd me just $82 a month. Which was the cheapest i could find. :shrug: I would never go with such a no name company.

Congrats on the car Pete!! :cool: I thought about getting into a Cobalt SS. They are beautiful cars. :drool: I just wish they would stay more exclusive. They quickly became played out in my area with too many young tools behind the wheel. As much as I shouldn't let that be a deciding factor, it really drove me crazy.

I'm suprised at how cheap my insurance is compared to some of you guys. At my age (22) and with a few tickets on my record, I would think mine would be high in comparison but I guess not.

I'm only paying $72/month for my 03 BMW 540i. :shrug:

Back