• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I need 333 hp!!!!

There are too many variables anyways, the hp and 1/4 calculators are crap imo. Every track is different with altitude, track condition, humidity ect... Just dont worry about what you think from a computer calculator you will run, and just go get out there and run the damn car!!!!!

There are too many variables anyways, the hp and 1/4 calculators are crap imo. Every track is different with altitude, track condition, humidity ect... Just dont worry about what you think from a computer calculator you will run, and just go get out there and run the damn car!!!!!
Thats your opinion. I have seen too many comparisons between the calculations and what people have actually run to disbelieve them.

ASSUMING YOU HAVE TRACTION THEY ARE PRETTY DARN ACCURATE

You're not going to have traction. that's the point you're missing. the flaw in your logic is you're overlooking the fact that the car is FWD. Nothing is going to change that. Your "formula" does not account for weight transfer form the front to the back of the car which will always = a loss of traction for you unless you want to have traction bars hanging off the back of your ride.

You want to do 5k clutch dumps, go right ahead and watch your wheels spin. Or you can go with slicks, but then you'll just bog off the line or break something. You wanna feather and smoke the hell out of your clutch fine, but you're still not going to overcome physics.

You are touting this new formula like it's the second coming of god. The fact is people have been boosting very similar cars (the focus) for years. where are all the 12 second foci that aren't either making lots and lots of power, or have extreme modifications specifically designed to make the car a better drag racer? Yeah, that's right they don't exist. Same goes for pretty much any fwd car. How many fwd cars that weigh ~3000lbs and have 250whp are even remotely running close to 12 seconds? enough already.

You're not going to have traction. that's the point you're missing. the flaw in your logic is you're overlooking the fact that the car is FWD. Nothing is going to change that. Your "formula" does not account for weight transfer form the front to the back of the car which will always = a loss of traction for you unless you want to have traction bars hanging off the back of your ride.

You want to do 5k clutch dumps, go right ahead and watch your wheels spin. Or you can go with slicks, but then you'll just bog off the line or break something. You wanna feather and smoke the hell out of your clutch fine, but you're still not going to overcome physics.

there are other weighs to help with the traction issues. stiffer rear springs, increased compression dampening in the rear, and higher ride height in the rear all help greatly. I have launched my turbo Zetec at 5K RPMs, with very little wheel spin or burning the clutch.

TGO said:
You are touting this new formula like it's the second coming of god. The fact is people have been boosting very similar cars (the focus) for years. where are all the 12 second foci that aren't either making lots and lots of power, or have extreme modifications specifically designed to make the car a better drag racer? Yeah, that's right they don't exist. Same goes for pretty much any fwd car. How many fwd cars that weigh ~3000lbs and have 250whp are even remotely running close to 12 seconds? enough already.
im stating the formula works given you have traction. the reason there arent tons of FWD cars running 12s is because most people dont know how to setup their suspension. lets go back to turbo Tom. the equations say that with 400WHP (which i know he had hit) and 2500lbs (curb weight of a stock SVTF is about 2700lbs so minus weight reduction plus driver is a decent estimate) it should run mid-high 11s. which is exactly what he was running.

FWD or RWD, the equations work if you can get traction. you want to get traction in a Contour? adjust the suspension accordingly and make less low end torque, the later is exactly what the Zetec does.

Im done trying to convince CEG that a turbo Zetec Contour can be just as fast or faster in the 1/4 mile than a Duratec Contour.

i'm not planning a shoestring budget. its a project i want to tackel after i graduate college next winter. So if the 6 speed is weaker, u'd say swap in the FSVT 2.0 with the MTX-75 tranny? i really think i can get the car to break into the 12's with full interior. its not gonna be a reliable street car. i know that, but i wanna take the challenge.

Im done trying to convince CEG that a turbo Zetec Contour can be just as fast or faster in the 1/4 mile than a Duratec Contour.

i'm not saying a zetec can't be faster than a duratec in the 1/4. that all depends on the cars being raced, i'm saying you're not gonna hit 12's unless you've got a lot of money in your car like turbo tom and more than 250whp. That's my story and i'm stickin' to it! until someone proves me wrong.

i'm not saying a zetec can't be faster than a duratec in the 1/4. that all depends on the cars being raced, i'm saying you're not gonna hit 12's unless you've got a lot of money in your car like turbo tom and more than 250whp. That's my story and i'm stickin' to it! until someone proves me wrong.

tgo might be right on this one. the kid who installed my turbo the first time has a 500+whp focus. i mean, the kid spins wheels on the freeway for crying out loud. he's barely in the 11s in the quarter mile. stock axles too.

it's not me that's right, the facts are out there already...you want to run in the 12's, you better have deep pockets.

it's not me that's right, the facts are out there already...you want to run in the 12's, you better have deep pockets.
That's just it...the facts AREN'T out there already! No one has modified a Zetec Contour the extent that striker has. I'd wager with a few slightly higher quality products (ew on Probe pistons :nonono:) and a tad more boost, it could hit 12's. With a lack of low-end torque, you could get into the throttle much more without it breaking free and losing traction. So how can you say there are facts? We only know that the Duratec can't make it into the 12's. Period.

can you read at all?

i said you're not running 12's with 250whp.

you want to run those times, take a look at the focus guys running those times. same engine, samy tranny...similar size/weight car. that should give you an idea of what you'll need to do. who really gives a damn if it's a contour or not?

lack of low end torque my ass :rolleyes: you can spin the tires through 1st, 2nd and 3rd on an NA SVT with 169ft lbs peak. you're going to be making less than that with ~275 crank hp? ok...whatever. if you guys want to be blind to the world around you that's fine. i'll shut up until someone does it. but i won't hold my breath that's for sure.

even though i think i'd have more success beating my head against a wall than repeating myself one more time...what the hell? ANY car can make it into the 12's. You're just gonna need more than 250whp and a lot of money for supporting mods in the case of the contour. i challenge you to prove me wrong.

lack of low end torque my ass :rolleyes: you can spin the tires through 1st, 2nd and 3rd on an NA SVT with 169ft lbs peak. you're going to be making less than that with ~275 crank hp? ok...whatever. if you guys want to be blind to the world around you that's fine. i'll shut up until someone does it. but i won't hold my breath that's for sure.

Have you seen my Dyno plot for the Turbo Zetec? while i peak at close to 220ft lbs i dont hit even 170ft lbs until 4200 RPM:shocked: even if you up everything 10% since this was on a dynapack dyno and they tend to read low compared to dynojets it would still be at about 4000RPM. this was using a T3 60 trim at 10PSI. go to a Super 60 trim and bump the boost slightly and 250-260 WHP is easily attainable. the Zetec contour was rated at 2700lbs curb weight so even if the driver weighs 200lbs, you would only need to loose 100 lbs from the car (easily doable) to get it to the 2800 lb weight im refering to.

I have never seen an NA 2.5 SVT (since the 3Ls make more than 170 ft lbs torque) spin 1st, 2nd, AND 3rd. If you are then you need some better tires. Hell, i have to be really hard on it to even chirp second in my SVT.

also, 250 WHP is going to be closer to 300 BHP, not 275. If i didnt have my sights set on building, frame and all, an all around better car (except for getting groceries :laugh:) and hadnt sold a lot of the parts, i would take you up on the Challenge.

i'm not planning a shoestring budget. its a project i want to tackel after i graduate college next winter. So if the 6 speed is weaker, u'd say swap in the FSVT 2.0 with the MTX-75 tranny? i really think i can get the car to break into the 12's with full interior. its not gonna be a reliable street car. i know that, but i wanna take the challenge.

Have you ever run a car down a quarter mile track? :shrug:

To keep this on topic, I think that with good track and weather conditions, it'd take close to 300whp with a stiff suspension setup and good tires to pull a 12 second time. I think the best chance would be with a 3L on the bottle. I was able to pull a 2.13 60' time on street tires, and think that with a 1.9X 60' with d/r's, and waiting for 2nd gear to spray, then a 12.99 or better is feasible. Had I kept my old SVT, I would have proven this a year ago. When you own a car for 7 years and have taken it down the strip quite a few times, you learn the feel of a car, and what its capabilities are.

Mark

only way to get a fwd contour into the 12's is by pulling it behind a 10-second lightning.

:)

This might also cut the mustard:

car-off-cliff.jpg

only way to get a fwd contour into the 12's is by pulling it behind a 10-second lightning.

:)
theres a Cobalt SS/TC out there running 13.2s on street tires with nothing but an exhaust and tune. I imagine he'll see 12s soon. it weighs as much as an SVT BTW.

EVERYONE says they are going to do some sort of huge car project when they graduate from highschool/college. Or they are going to be making mad money and buying vipers, nobels, vetters, pintos with a jet engine on them. It isn't going to happen unless you live at home, don't spend any of your money on anything else, and work on it every day after work. I know the amount we have put into our house could have paid for a turbo kit, drag tires, full suspension, nitrious, breaks, full exhaust....and even more. Other priorities will take over.

We can't compare the two. The suspension layout on both cars are fairly different. The SRT-4 Neons are the same way, those guys are pulling 1.6 60's on drag radials, and 1.9's on street tires from what I've seen/heard.

Mark

theres a Cobalt SS/TC out there running 13.2s on street tires with nothing but an exhaust and tune. I imagine he'll see 12s soon. it weighs as much as an SVT BTW.

OMG NFW!!!!! :rolleyes:

there's also srt-4's running tens. so we should expect that soon too, right? :help:

Back