• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Motor Mount

TourEnvy

Hard-core CEG'er
Are people still changing to a cougar front lower motor mount, or is this a thing of the past. Why was it done? I had a problem with finding application and reason.

The cougar mount was supposed to be able to be removed without removing the heads. I think that was the reason for the swap. The part # is in the sticky. I just cut up the contour one.

I think it was the pass side top mount that you are talking about.

Last edited:
Yep. passenger side top mount.

I believe it was chosen becasue the SVT mount bolts and bolt holes are a different diameter than the 3L block bolt holes and the 3L mount will not work in the contour.

If I recall correctly, all mounts, including the cougar will need to be ground down in certain areas to allow it to be fitted to the 3L without removing the heads.

Around 1998 model year, the bolts which attach the mount to the block were changed from 10mm to 8mm. Just use which ever one fits the block you are using. Note: Taurus 3.0L engines never used the front mount system used in the Contour/Mystique/Escape but the block still has the holes.

You will just need the one mount. I would order it from Bill Jenkins and ask him if it would be returnable if you ended up not needing it. Pretty sure the escape mount will not fit the tour. My 3L came out of a Sable so I dont know what the escape mount looks like.

The alignment dowels on the contour mount are also larger than the 3L holes, so the holes will need to be enlarged if you plan to use the Contour mount. Just removing the dowels might allow the mount to slip around on the block and maybe loosen the bolts.

The alignment dowels on the contour mount are also larger than the 3L holes, so the holes will need to be enlarged if you plan to use the Contour mount. Just removing the dowels might allow the mount to slip around on the block and maybe loosen the bolts.
Go reread above. It's not a Contour vs. 3L issue. It depends on when the engine was produced as to what size the holes are in the block. If his engine actually is a 2000 MY then he will already have 8mm threaded holes in the block and the smaller dowel holes which go along with them.

Out of the many 3L build I've put together I've only had to drill out the engine mount holes on one block. It must only be a small percentage of the early 98's with the larger centering dowels on the engine mount. FYI I thought they also used different bolts so you may have to pick up a set of bolts that fit into the 3L. You could cut the dowels and let the bolts center the mount. There is enough play on the mount that bolts to the frame that it really shouldn't matter if the mount isn't perfect.

So at this point in my situation, to use a contour mount I have to trim the mount itself to fit between the heads? As for the mounting dowels and bolts, these (if truly a 2000 MY) will be the same as a late model 3L.

So at this point in my situation, to use a contour mount I have to trim the mount itself to fit between the heads? As for the mounting dowels and bolts, these (if truly a 2000 MY) will be the same as a late model 3L.

Sounds good to me, my 00 was a direct fit with my 01-03 3L block. The only reason you have to trim the mount is to get it to fit between the heads with them mounted. If for any reason you have a cylinder head off, no grinding is required you can just bolt it in.

You won't have to change the mount as it's not different for each vehicle. It's either there or not and it came in two sizes.
1995-1998ish 2.5L: 10mm bolts, large dowel, 10mm threads in block.
1998ish-present 2.5L/3.0L: 8mm bolts, small dowel, 8mm threads in block.

Note1: 3.0L Engines which will have a bracket installed...
2001-2004 Escape
2001-current Tribute
2002-2007 MPV
2002-2007 Mondeo ST220

Note2: 3.0L Engines which will not have a bracket installed...
2005+ Escape (mount integrated into front cover)
All Mazda6 (mount integrated into front cover)
All Fusion (mount integrated into front cover)
All Taurus (mount integrated into front cover)
All Lincoln LS/Jaguar X-Type/S-Type/XJ

Back