This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #1382 Turbo CSVT numbers

I just got a call from the kid that bought my turbo SVT, said he took it to a local shop and they found it to be running 8% lean at WOT. The AEM A/F gauge said it was right on 12.8-12.9 at WOT when I sold it. He said this shop (Precision) said the plugs were amost burnt through due to the lean mixture. He said they "fixed" the tune and turned boost to 10#. He said he has the sheet to show it put down 310 hp at 10# on stock 2.5 motor. He said he will bring the sheet by so I can see it. I'm awaiting the painful call when he says "I blew it the F up". He also said it ran 13.85 @102 after this fix. Not sure of the track cause Kil-Kare only has test and tune on Thurs. and my neighbor saw him run a best of 14.15 ???

More to come..

Rod
    -2000 SVT-Silver Frost/Midnight Blue
    #1,382 of 2,150 born- 1/7/2000
    *NPG Stage 1 Turbo kit # 7 @ 8/10 psi (Sold 3/30/09)
    -2001 White Saleen S281 SC #720
    -2000 BMW 323 Ci

those are some great numbers!
    2000 T-Green CSVT 3L #1065/2150
    2000 T-Green CSVT #0998/2150 SOLD!!!
    Oo (xxx) oO
    o xxxxxxxx o

Comment

Originally posted by 2kSVT View Post
      I just got a call from the kid that bought my turbo SVT, said he took it to a local shop and they found it to be running 8% lean at WOT. The AEM A/F gauge said it was right on 12.8-12.9 at WOT when I sold it. He said this shop (Precision) said the plugs were amost burnt through due to the lean mixture. He said they "fixed" the tune and turned boost to 10#. He said he has the sheet to show it put down 310 hp at 10# on stock 2.5 motor. He said he will bring the sheet by so I can see it. I'm awaiting the painful call when he says "I blew it the F up". He also said it ran 13.85 @102 after this fix. Not sure of the track cause Kil-Kare only has test and tune on Thurs. and my neighbor saw him run a best of 14.15 ???
      I hate to be the one to break it to you but 12.8-12.9 A/F at WOT is lean. If that is the true A/F ratio and you drove it like that for some time it's a wonder it didn't gernade before you sold it. The absolute leanest it should be with an accurate reading (a tailpipe sensor is not accurate) is around 12.0 and that is borderline to me. For comparison a race gas file for my Cobra (110 leaded) would be about 11.7-11.8 max and my pump gas tune is 11.4-11.5. My pump gas tune is for 17 psi.

Eight cylinders or not a A/F ratio for a FI car should be about the same regardless.

Shannon
      99 Silver Frost SVT Contour #1987
      Not stock...
      03 Torch Red 10th Anniversary Cobra Convertible #4924
      Not stock either...

Comment

310 at the wheels on a 2.5 is impressive in the least. I hope he manages to show you proof.
        2006 Cobalt SS/SC AEM intake and nothing else atm......
        2004 GSXR 1000
        2005 Foci ZX5
        GONE 98 #0895 3L, 99 #2439, 98 #0474 3L, 98 #0844

Comment

So if it turns out he was right and the tuner fixed the problems in the tune is your ego gonna be able to take it?

Comment

Originally posted by Kilroy View Post
            I hate to be the one to break it to you but 12.8-12.9 A/F at WOT is lean. If that is the true A/F ratio and you drove it like that for some time it's a wonder it didn't gernade before you sold it. The absolute leanest it should be with an accurate reading (a tailpipe sensor is not accurate) is around 12.0 and that is borderline to me. For comparison a race gas file for my Cobra (110 leaded) would be about 11.7-11.8 max and my pump gas tune is 11.4-11.5. My pump gas tune is for 17 psi.

Eight cylinders or not a A/F ratio for a FI car should be about the same regardless.

Shannon
            I have been told the 11.5-11.9 that my NA runs at WOT is rich.
            2011 Fusion SE V6 & 07 Honda Pilot EX-L
            98 3.0L SVT Sold 9-11-11
            99 3.0L SVT Silver Frost #1264 Sold 1-22-10
            95 SE MTX---Sold 9/14/07 sniff
            98 E1 SVT #4892 of 6535T-Red Sold 8-29-08

Comment

Contour's have typically run very well at leaner AFR's than is typically expected. Mostly because the engine seems to have a very good combustion chamber design.

The only real reason you try to run richer is to cool down the combustion chamber to prevent detonation. If however the combustion is resistance to detonation you can run a leaner mixture for better power.

The 11.7 is typical for a Forced Induction tune because it is the Rich Best Power point for gasoline and the extra fuel helps to keep things cool.
              04 Subaru WRX - 12.638 @ 111 Corn Powered
              SZ Top Troll '06 & '07
              SZ Fastest CEG'er '06 & '07 & '10 (w/ 4 wheels)

Comment

Originally posted by elraido View Post
                it is rich, but that is irrelevant to the topic because yours isnt turbocharged.
                97 M3/ 93 RX7 touring ls1/t56
                SOLD: 98 SVT #2663,89 Mustang GT Twin Turbo, 00 SVT #985-SF,98 SVT #948 BLK/Tan E0, 99 SVT #587-T-green,98 SVT #3969 blk/MNB

Comment

I thought I just saw a video of the dyno on youtube or streetfire or something. The description in the video said it was running lean and the dyno op wouldn't go any further. I thought it was showing 330whp or around that...I am pretty sure it was this car.
                  95 SeVT 3.0L
                  Audi A4 From Hell

Comment

Originally posted by 2000ZxT View Post
                    I thought I just saw a video of the dyno on youtube or streetfire or something. The description in the video said it was running lean and the dyno op wouldn't go any further. I thought it was showing 330whp or around that...I am pretty sure it was this car.
                    the car you saw is black lol his car was silver not to mention that vid is almost 2 yrs old now lol if i just found the one you were talking about
                    2006 Cobalt SS/SC AEM intake and nothing else atm......
                    2004 GSXR 1000
                    2005 Foci ZX5
                    GONE 98 #0895 3L, 99 #2439, 98 #0474 3L, 98 #0844

Comment

Oh yeah your right I could have sworn it was a silfro The description is the same though thats what must have thrown me off.
                      95 SeVT 3.0L
                      Audi A4 From Hell

Comment

Originally posted by elraido View Post
                        Well yeah that is rich for a N/A motor. From the discussions I've had with my tuner a N/A motor makes optimum power one full point leaner than a FI car.

Originally posted by Barge View Post
                        Contour's have typically run very well at leaner AFR's than is typically expected. Mostly because the engine seems to have a very good combustion chamber design.

The only real reason you try to run richer is to cool down the combustion chamber to prevent detonation. If however the combustion is resistance to detonation you can run a leaner mixture for better power.

The 11.7 is typical for a Forced Induction tune because it is the Rich Best Power point for gasoline and the extra fuel helps to keep things cool.
                        What you speak is the truth... but running a FI set-up that lean is not using good sense. Running a tune that lean is the ragged edge so to speak and all it would take is one bad batch of gas to ruin your day. I'd rather run a little richer and keep my motor than make a few more horsepower and run the risk of blowing up the motor.

Perhaps my logic is why the stock longblock in my Cobra is still in there as assembled by Ford with 46,000 rather hard miles on it :o

My .02... your mileage may vary.

Shannon
                        99 Silver Frost SVT Contour #1987
                        Not stock...
                        03 Torch Red 10th Anniversary Cobra Convertible #4924
                        Not stock either...

Comment

As far as my ego..it will be fine. The guy who tuned my car..well his name is Joey and he uh..built the kit. He did the tune by datalogs, but I thought we had it right. The sensor is in the section of pipe just before the cat-back, where the cat would have been. I have been hanging out on a local forum, and have heard all about his daily attempts to destroy the car. A local "spotted" thread turned in to a 12 page bash on this kid. He went to the track and bragged about how "we" built the car together. I had to inform his buddies, that I met him when he replied to the craigslist ad! Unless he is a pasty white skinny kid from Mi. that drives an Evo, he did not wrench on the car!! He called me and told me that the car handled great and pulled hard to the limits of the speedo! It's a matter of time. When he wraps it around a tree, I'll try to salvage the kit from the JY and sell it to one of you.

Rod
                          -2000 SVT-Silver Frost/Midnight Blue
                          #1,382 of 2,150 born- 1/7/2000
                          *NPG Stage 1 Turbo kit # 7 @ 8/10 psi (Sold 3/30/09)
                          -2001 White Saleen S281 SC #720
                          -2000 BMW 323 Ci

Comment

I think your A/F was fine...I believe Joey said he tries to tune it to about 12.6 to 12.8...mine goes to about 12.1 to 12.4 depending on the temps. and humidity.
                            2013 Explorer Sport 3.5 Ecoboost with Livernois Motorsport flash tuner
                            2010 Hyundai Genesis 4.6L V8 w/Tech. Pkg slightly modded
                            1999 Contour SVT - Tred and turbo

Comment

Originally posted by 2kSVT View Post
                              I have been hanging out on a local forum, and have heard all about his daily attempts to destroy the car. A local "spotted" thread turned in to a 12 page bash on this kid. He went to the track and bragged about how "we" built the car together. I had to inform his buddies, that I met him when he replied to the craigslist ad! Unless he is a pasty white skinny kid from Mi. that drives an Evo, he did not wrench on the car!! He called me and told me that the car handled great and pulled hard to the limits of the speedo! It's a matter of time. When he wraps it around a tree, I'll try to salvage the kit from the JY and sell it to one of you.

Rod
                              Damn. That sucks to hear that something that you put so much work into is being abused. That's part of the reason why I never want to know what happens to my cars after I sell them. I just don't think that I could take something like that. The local forum isn't xceedspeed, is it? I don't remember if that's just Michigan or Michigan and surrounding.
                              Something Green
                              2009 Pontiac G8 GT
                              2000 SVT #0801 (sold)
                              2000 3L SVT #2094 (sold)

Comment

Working...
                              X