• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Plans for the Mystique

xtascox

Hard-core CEG'er
Well since the motor has to come out and I have a great DD now it's time to make up my mind about the Mystique. I'd love to make a track only car but I would miss driving around in it too much. My other thought was to gut the interior and lose as much weight in every area as possible and throw in two racing seats and call it a day. But I love leather:laugh: I then decided to do a build that can be swapped into "race mode" within a couple hours and then swapped back into street mode after events.

So here is what I came up with for the permanent mods:

Power:
Fully built N/A Oval Port 3 liter (I'm planning on investing around 2 - 3 grand just into the motor)
MSDS Headers
Custom True dual exhaust with Borla mufflers and no cat
Complete A/C delete

Transmission:
Rebuilt with upgraded parts
Zetec final drive ratio
Quaife LSD

Suspension:
Konis with ground controls
larger rear sway bar
poly bushings all around
rear and front strut tower bars

Braking:
Big brake kit w/ slotted rotors

Other:
Poly filled roll resistors
remove sound deadening material
remove carpeting and headliner

Safety:
Custom built roll cage

For the roll cage I figure I'll remove the function of the moon roof that retracts it all the way back and make it so it only tilts. That way the roll bar will be able to be flush with the roof and I still get to keep the sunroof.

Now for the mods that can be swapped in for racing. I won't nicely categorize these because I feel lazy right now:

Headlight CAI intake system
A removable cap on both exhaust pipes to open up the system before the mufllers
A custom made fiberglass roof scoop that can swap into place where the sun roof is
Racing seat and 5 point harness

Basically on the day before an event I would gut the interior and pull all the seats, install the racing seat and harness, pull the sunroof and bolt in the roof scoop, and finally set up the headlight CAI. Then when I got to the event I would remove the caps off the exhaust to open her up. BTW I got that idea for the exhaust from a buddy of mine who has that setup on his Camaro. I'm keeping the stock shifter just because its a shorter reach from the steering wheel. The B&M in the Cougar is amazing but I think trying to maintain high speeds through hard corners, I need to keep both hands on the wheel as much as possible.

Then the next day I could return it to street mode if I was planning on taking a trip or didn't have any events for a while. I love driving the Cougar but I think anyone in the back would be a "little" uncomfortable. I figure to swap "modes" would only take a couple hours at most with one person helping.

Anyway these are my plans and if anyone has any input or ideas (positive or negative) please feel free to post.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have one hell of a project! It definately sounds cool, but I bet the swapping in and out will get old quick. How long do you think this project will go until finished?

I think I can probably get most of it done by the end of summer. I'm not planning on competing in anything until next year but the 2.5 will be coming out next month most likely. The swapping probably will get to be second nature after a few times and be a quick job. I might even take the time to fab some stuff up to make the removal/installation easier and quicker. I'd really only be putting stuff back in if, say, I had a race in May, and didn't have another until July.

it is, but I wouldn't know why you would go with a BAT kit, he should go with Konis and ground controls, or K-sports.

Thanks. It's just an outline. I said BAT kit because I couldn't think of anything specific off the top of my head. When it gets time to do suspension I'll figure it out. But I will take into consideration what you mentioned. I'm not super knowledgeable when it comes to suspension. This is why I made this thread. So people can point me in the right direction!:crazy:

Thanks. It's just an outline. I said BAT kit because I couldn't think of anything specific off the top of my head. When it gets time to do suspension I'll figure it out. But I will take into consideration what you mentioned. I'm not super knowledgeable when it comes to suspension. This is why I made this thread. So people can point me in the right direction!:crazy:

I was thinking Konis and ground controls, because you can adjust konis to be soft or firm, and same with the K-sports.

I was thinking Konis and ground controls, because you can adjust konis to be soft or firm, and same with the K-sports.

Point taken. That would be nice since if I really had to I could adjust between firmness for street vs. competition. I'll take a look into that and update the first post. Thanks alias.

Well I pulled the center console and all of the seats except for the driver's seat. I'd say the passenger seat and the rear seat parts weigh close to 150 pounds or more all together. I took it for a short drive around the neighbor hood and it felt completely different. It took less than an hour to get that all out. Plus I was in and out of the garage during that hour so I probably could have pulled it all within a half hour. The carpet is next and I'm not sure about the headliner yet. I have to find a place to store the carpet before I pull it being that my garage is a little disorganized right now. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do about the dash? I figure it's gotta have a decent amount of weight but if it's not too much I'm going to leave it as is. Maybe just get rid of the passenger side airbag?

i would say completely gut the car except 2 seats and guage cluster, yank all that other useless :censored::censored::censored::censored: out, go for light as possible

get as many carbon fiber body panels as you can, stock panels aint light, if i had another car to drive, then i would make mine light, low, and loud

i would say completely gut the car except 2 seats and guage cluster, yank all that other useless :censored::censored::censored::censored: out, go for light as possible

get as many carbon fiber body panels as you can, stock panels aint light, if i had another car to drive, then i would make mine light, low, and loud

That's pretty much what I plan on. Will the cluster stay without the surrounding dash? I thought it screwed into the dash.

Y pipe should be coming off tomorrow. I loaded the bolts with PB blaster tonight. I want to run the car with open manifolds before I pull the motor. Just so I can annoy the neighbors a little:laugh:

its loud as hell WITH the y-pipe, you might have to fabricate something to hold the cluster on but shouldnt be hard, just get some metal banding and screw the cluster to the dash supprt

Well since the exhaust bolts are just rounding off everywhere it's time to take the hack saw to the exhaust. I hate cutting up the Y-Pipe since it could be optimized and then used by someone else but I don't think I'll be able to cut on the manifold side in the rear:shrug: Unless anyone has any suggestions?

Back