• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

my 98 SVT Vs a 97 3.5l Intrepid

you should be at the slushbox LOL, I think those have 214 hp and more torque than our 2.5 though, so shift the heck out of it

the intrepid is lighter than the charger
Stay away from the SXT/RT. They have sport suspensions and autostick in most cases.

I had a 99 svt and still have my 03 intrepid SXT. The intrepid has 3.89 gearing vs the 3.68 that was stock so it has greater acceleration gain similar to the prowler (similar gearing).

Dont forget the prowler uses the same engine and tranny as the 3.5HO intrepid (255 HP, 250 torque).

I just wanted to keep up with the contour when i had mine, a friend that bought it raced me and gave it all it had at the time, the trep won by about a car lenght.

Keep in mind that cars do degrade over time. SO you may have beat a 95 intrepid with your 2000 svt but if you have say 100k miles you will have a hard time against a newish intrepid with more power that can meet more of its efficiency.

Intrepids redline at 6500rpm. Autostick will let the trep stay in high revs and out of overdrive. Straight away he will beat you with a 2nd gen 3.5HO, if its a base one with the 2.7L then no. You were saying its a 95 i think so it has no chance, those things were slow as hell and if he tries to redline it, he will have issues at that age and mileage. Mind you your ford is getting old too.

However that being said, we raced on a back road, stay away from any cop infested areas.

Also on the topic of small fast cars (or slow rather). My 07 civic EX is the slowest thing ever. If you race civics, its not even considered a win.

...Stay away from the SXT/RT. They have sport suspensions and autostick in most cases.

I had a 99 svt and still have my 03 intrepid SXT. The intrepid has 3.89 gearing vs the 3.68 that was stock so it has greater acceleration gain similar to the prowler (similar gearing)...

What about a 98 E0 SVt with cold air intake, a couple of exhaust mods, and an XCalibrator2 tuner chip with the performance program? Any hope there?

Last edited:
tuner chips arent really an amazing mod.

Dyno would be the best assessment to get your power to the wheels.

The intrepid gets about 187 brute HP to the wheels out of 3.5HO. Im not sure of the other motors. The 3.5HO stock claims around 250hp but in reality the dyno is around 190 with a CAI and tuned exhaust.

Generally for its size the intrepid is made to keep up with the 99-03 TL-P (3.2L Vtec).

I dont street race so i have no idea how it keeps up but overall for its size its pretty quick seeing how it is a full size automatic v6 made for 60yr + drivers.

One thing i always hated about my contour was the basic interior. Absolutely ghetto beyond belief.

Even Chrysler did a better job in the 98 startup lineup LOL.

DSC05248.jpg

DSC07030.jpg

Im a pretty big chrysler guy for another few months and then its all about the G coupe LOL. Also as a word of advice, the contour svt has no chance against the charger srt8 or g35 (even 04 auto). The Charger pulls away not at the amazing 5.0sec its rated at but nearly 6 seconds flat without any slip in autostick. I had a chance to take one out for a test drive when i was getting some maintenance done. They are quite a beast but due to its low resale value, the intrepid is my last American vehicle to date. Not because its unreliable because i havent had any issues at all, you will see throughout the forums that any intrepids with the exception of the 2.7L oil sludge have been flawless. But resale is just terrible, so im switching to infiniti for the future and sticking to their G coupe series.

Overall ford did a decent job with the svt, however completely ruined the 2.0L, my mom had that car and it gave up before 100k km. Timing idler gave up. Again resale on any ford is terrible, maybe the svt has a rare factor but not to most people.

Im kind of glad that this forum actually mentions possible large sedans keeping up with small so called race vehicles. Its funny how much power is packed into large sedans nowadays. Japanese sedans are getting faster and faster, the v6 accord and g35 sedan are pretty fast affordable vehicles for their size. So i guess we will see more and more middle aged drivers racing out there.

Back