• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

my 98 SVT Vs a 97 3.5l Intrepid

heres a video of a 3.89 gear setup going 0-60 mph in an autostick tranny that the R/T sports.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuM04ntoBSo

Only thing is overdrive, if you notice when he starts OD is causing the engine to stay under 4000rpm, once it goes over 6000 rpm it gets to haul.

heres an example of a tuned stock exhaust that fits the intrepid which i have on my own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yvUGeGjQcM

What the intrepid guys do is upgrade the intrepids to the 300m special which was the sporty version because all of the parts fit. Ie someone converting over to an SVT.

CM

At the track I have taken down a 2000 intrepid,stratus r/t and a purple prowler.Prowler beingthe closest followed by the other not even giving me any trouble.But I have not raced the older gen 300 S.E. but they do look pretty quick but the weight on those cars is so much and the auto tranny I think they run ot of steam on the top end whn our cars (svt) are really starting to kick ass. just my input.

the 2000 models had smaller engines in the intrepids anyways.

The prowler is faster off the line, way faster than a contour anyways.

Its rated at around 6.3 seconds 0-60mph. Around the track i cant comment so it all comes down to where you are racing this vehicle.

4 the record, the 3.5H.O. 99+ are screamers!
I would rate them almost the fastest domestic (factory non modded) v-6 out there without sc's/turbo's.

Any faster?

my x-wyf had a 99 3.5H.O. (LHS) and that thing would spin the fronts like nothing!
if your CSVT lined up with a non accplished driver, you'd probaly beat him with nifty shifts, but if you line up with a "driver", even with a 3.5HO ATX, that slushbox can be worked to out perform the CSVT.

I know.......:nonono:

dont forget some people dont advertise what they are pushing under their treps LOL...

I know for one that the upgraded oem 300m special exhaust doesnt seem like much but its adds up overall not to mention altered gearing which most forum intrepid guys have done already.

I changed my gears to the 3.89 to increase the acceleration, the speedo had to be reprogrammed to take the ratio into account but shifts are much faster and the auto tranny does help vs a manual off the line.

The R/T and SXT / 300m/ LHS models shared the same design overall, same engine, tranny, gearing and breaking systems for the most part. Some suspensions parts were different. Also dont forget chyrsler made an error on their police sway bar, a 360$ part is sold for 36$ HHAHAH.. so a lot of ppl took advantage of that little mistake.

I dont think an svt would have an issue against the 97 intrepid tho, just because its so old and the SOHC is probably dying down, some older members on our forum have NOS in their LHS 98s etc... but overall most engines are dying.

Also keep in mind most intrepids are slow because they need to fly over 4000 rpm to get any real power and the stock tranny wont let u do it off the line unless u peel off and most old drivers will not do this to race to a red. If they have autostick they can always down shift max 2 gears lower. The intrepid like many older american cars have a lot of cabin nose, its very very loud at 4000+ rpm range so most ppl will stay at 2000ish which is 0-60 in prob 20 seconds.

It would be a close call to a newer model intrepid, but IMO having driven both cars i would be careful with fords reliability with that engine as ive had issues with mine and ive seen others with problems too, also make sure the intrepid is racing LOL that should be #1 on ur list.

Ive been a g35 man for a while now and even with the G35 there are some flaws, shifts are awesome but the very well geared 5 spd auto is a bit annoying taking off as the car falls back often. Its still fast but shifts way too frequently, about 3-4 shifts before 80 kph.

Anyways thats a bit of a ramble, hopefully ull find an answer on a dyno run. I know my trep ran about 191 hp in its stock form with just a K/N CAI and it has a 3.5HO running on 89 octane. I dont know about others but i may have gotten one in a million reliable chryslers LOL because i know of all the stories, cant argue with no maintenance or break downs in 70,000 km so i cant complain and its still in warranty until 115km or another 1 year LOL.

Whatever you do just dont get your car taken away or fined more than the car is worth LOL. Its up to 10k in ontario right now, some hefty laws on speeding.

CM

hhaha....i had a 94. first car i ever spent to much money on. swapped a 3.5 high output from a 300, power demon trans,trans star shift kit, 300M special ed. gear set, phanton grip LSD, NX 100 shot. K&N cone filter, asp pulleys, msd dis-4 ignition, m,agnecor 8.5mm plug wires, air raid throttle body spacers, iRotors cross drilled/slotted rotors, hawk hps pads, eibach pro kit, kyb gr-2 struts, to many neons to list, black with tan leather, 1100 watts of alpine bass, 2 3 1/2 kenwoods on the dash, 6 3/4 kenwoods in door, 2 6x9 kenwoods on the rear deck, plus way to many other things i forgot. i spent way to much money on this car. it was my first and i had her for 6 years 258,000 miles. wya to much wheel spin. she was a blast to drive though. i was on those forums for soooooooooo long, thats what got me hooked on cars. i still have the dyno sheet some where, ill find it and post it. got a couple videos also. man this brought back memories.

Last edited:
@ FORDRACING25 : you are right......way too much wheel spin! just think if we put some really sticky tires up front.............:cool:

ahahah..... I was so excited to see somebody else from DI.net. I assume thats the forums you were speaking of? The phanton grip made a huge difference. i personally loved the car and have considered getting another. It was huge and all tan leather inside and i loved how the front seats slid all the way forward and tilted towards the windshield. That made the back seat quite convenient in my high school days.

Back