• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Dynoed the 3.0

I know it sounds like flame bait, but it's completely and utterly true.

Aesthetic purposes? Cool. Just don't complain when the numbers are lower than expected.
Seriously? Are you done yet? Lets make a little comparison

Going by your dyno from this post: http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?p=379240#post379240
scan0001aa3.jpg

Your car made over 175 wtq between 4k and 5500RPM. It hit 150whp at 4250RPM and peaked with almost 190whp at around 5700RPM, dropping to 175whp by 6500RPM. Would you agree?

Now we'll compare it to my split port 3L (granted I might have a few more supporting mods) dyno here: http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=18396
scan0001.jpg

My car made over 175wtq between 2500RPM :)eek:) and 6250RPM. Hit 150whp at 4250RPM (same time as your car) When your car was peaked at HP at 5700RPM I was breaking 200whp and was still climbing, topping out at 213whp at around 6500RPM.
PurpleMystique said:
Yeah, if you want to sacrifice ~10hp throughout the entire power band for a ~3hp advantage at the top 300rpm, feel free to use the SVT UIM.
So basically I'm not seeing the whole sacrifice of 10hp throughout for a 3hp gain for the top 300RPM when I made equal to if not more power and torque than you THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE POWERBAND. I made over 175wtq for a range of 4k RPM, you did for 1500RPM... I mean your 3whp difference was actually 38whp at 6500 rpm... :shrug:

Now can we get back to the original topic without misleading people into thinking the split port intake is the devil? :help: Both setups can be done right, there is no one right way.

...no longer a valid comparison. And once I get my COP conversion, oval port injectors, Escape fuel rail, and Escape UIM, installed in the next two weeks, I'll re-dyno and then we can talk.

I don't have that many more performance mods than you :shrug:

I'm not making a pissing match, I just want you to give up on the idea that split ports manifolds are worthless (and to quit trying to influence everyone else in that direction).

The split ports are not by any means weak the test are not final because we only made one dyno comparison with Taurus cams which are profiled for the oval ports intakes for midrange. The taurus cams may not be suited for the split port intakes at all. Now we had someone dyno Aaron with SVT cams and made great gains but had all bolts on too. You must remember we made over 200whp at the dyno that day with no headers stock Catback no porting just my tune we do. We did 190whp with the SVT UIM intake but until we run the SVT cams with the split port UIM and then swap over to the oval port at the same time we still do not have enough info to say what is best yet.

Now as of right now we know Taurus cams do not fair well in the SVT UIM based on my dyno and the taurus cams do very well in the Oval ports UIM but only in midrange power and torque. If it wasn't for the midrnage torque the whp numbers would be indentical after 5.5k so the intake is tuned for that cams.

We will retest the SVT cams in a Taurus 2004 with all the same intakes and tune to see what UIM works best with the SVT cams. I will even add some Headers and my custom y-pipe with CAI and some hand porting to see what we can make the baby do all out too. Then we will ditch the :censored::censored::censored::censored:ty exhaust cams then run the VVT engine and see where we can bring the platform too.

The results are not final yet to we explore all the variations so stay tuned. Joey

Oh wait till we put the LS intake on the setup for testing..........that things is fricken huge and well built too. Joey

Joey, I have the same bolt-on parts as the original poster ( I wish I had more mods though :cry:).

I look forward to seeing the rest of your dyno comparisons :).

Aaron

BLACKCOOG- 225 WHP. NO tune
REDLINERACER12- 212 WHP Mail order tune, less than 2k miles on short block

i did KYLEQ's headers and clutch/flywheel with him. his car made what... 180's with a full 3L and headers/ Y pipe, and a K&N.

my SVT did 170 at the wheels with no tune and 11:1 AFR, on the 2.5L with 164k on it.

i GUARANTEE you that my 3L now untuned will peak over 200 WHP..

and aliasjerk....... your a good guy and all, but some of your ideas don't hold water.

not many guys have made over 200 WHP with plastic manifolds and 3L cams. i know none of them have topped blackcoog's 225 WHP. so who wins?

I know it sounds like flame bait, but it's completely and utterly true.

If you want to use the SVT UIM you either have to shell out $325 for the adaptor LIM or spend 6-8 hours grinding. The full 3.0 isn't any more expensive or time consuming...a few vacuum lines, the EGR tube, TB bracket.

Aesthetic purposes? Cool. Just don't complain when the numbers are lower than expected.

two hours of grinding at most, unless your an idiot and are trying to grind with a piece of sandpaper :shrug:

Seriously? Are you done yet? Lets make a little comparison

Going by your dyno from this post: http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?p=379240#post379240
scan0001aa3.jpg

Your car made over 175 wtq between 4k and 5500RPM. It hit 150whp at 4250RPM and peaked with almost 190whp at around 5700RPM, dropping to 175whp by 6500RPM. Would you agree?

Now we'll compare it to my split port 3L (granted I might have a few more supporting mods) dyno here: http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=18396
scan0001.jpg

My car made over 175wtq between 2500RPM :)eek:) and 6250RPM. Hit 150whp at 4250RPM (same time as your car) When your car was peaked at HP at 5700RPM I was breaking 200whp and was still climbing, topping out at 213whp at around 6500RPM.

So basically I'm not seeing the whole sacrifice of 10hp throughout for a 3hp gain for the top 300RPM when I made equal to if not more power and torque than you THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE POWERBAND. I made over 175wtq for a range of 4k RPM, you did for 1500RPM... I mean your 3whp difference was actually 38whp at 6500 rpm... :shrug:

Now can we get back to the original topic without misleading people into thinking the split port intake is the devil? :help: Both setups can be done right, there is no one right way.

:) that's muh boy! lol. seriously though. what rules the street (or strip) is the most important here. i'll be at SZ with my ported 3L if anyone wants to see what it can do.

Huh - Sean seems to think that he has the SVT cams in there... Blackoog needs to call him then...
I've always known they were stock 04 3.0 Cams. Must be a misunderstanding. I'm happy with the powerband. BTW, Without a tune and rich, the ported 3.0 did alright. 14.59@95.84. 100% street trim. It may not dyno great right now, but it runs strong, and when it's tuned, it will run 13's with traction.

Last edited:
not many guys have made over 200 WHP with plastic manifolds and 3L cams. i know none of them have topped blackcoog's 225 WHP. so who wins?

And how many '04/'05 engines have you included in this comparison? The '04-'05 UIMs are different enough that they really can't be grouped together with the '01-'03s.

two hours of grinding at most, unless your an idiot and are trying to grind with a piece of sandpaper :shrug:

Sorry, I'm just going by what I've read, posts like this:

http://contour.org/ceg-vb/showpost.php?p=399042&postcount=9

I've always known they were stock 04 3.0 Cams. Must be a misunderstanding. I'm happy with the powerband. BTW, Without a tune and rich, the ported 3.0 did alright. 14.59@95.84. 100% street trim. It may not dyno great right now, but it runs strong, and when it's tuned, it will run 13's with traction.

Nice run - congrats on reaching your goal!

i did KYLEQ's headers and clutch/flywheel with him. his car made what... 180's with a full 3L and headers/ Y pipe, and a K&N.

Hey - don't make it sound like I didn't do anything!

Back