• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Turbo Project: Progress Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welp, after i got the injectors in. I basically just did an inventory on everything. Found out that I need a couple things. Changed the wastegate spring. So no major updates tonight.

Pics are always fun.

DCFC0539.jpg

DCFC0539.jpg

DCFC0540.jpg

DCFC0541.jpg

Noooo! You need to tap into the oil passage in the block just above the oil pan! I really need to take a picture for you.

I know this isnt funny at all, but I just cant seem to stop laughing at it.

As far as the oil drain goes. Has anyone EVER tapped the block with the motor in the car? I cant see it being possible. I dont like the idea of having to remove me header and anything else that would be in the way to get a drill and pretty large bit up there. You guys make it seem like tapping the pan is a catostrophic error, and after talking to joey its not a big deal.

I guess the question you need to ask yourself is this. Do you want to do it 100% correct or not soo much? Ya you can tap the oil pan, but if/when the oil backs up your gonna be kinda crabby that you didn't tap it into the block.

But hey your not listening to advice from everyone else so do whatever you want

I'm not ignoring anyones advice. When and if the oil backs up, it'll just burn out the exhaust with no harm done IIUC. ADC kits were tapped to the pan.

Either way, I need to know if it is even possible to tap the block with the motor in the car. Has anyone actually done it?
If someone can answer this, I will consider doing it.

yeah that would be a bit scary. Well for me at least. I'm planning on buying this kit in the fall so I'm interested in what way is the best for the motor, thats why I didnt by my kit first because I knew there would be facets of the instal that were up to discussion.

Just so you know if the oil backs up in the turbo drain line, which is what people are talking about, it will not just blow out the exhaust. It could potentially have a very negative effect on the turbo bearings.

As far as tapping it in the car, I have no idea, but sometimes a little extra effort in the beginning is worth it in the end... and besides, if you ever have to drop the oil pan again you don't have to undo the oil drain line :)

I don't understand why you are making a big deal out of it. You call me out on everything I do and try to talk me down. I'm excited about it, and I made a progress thread. If you dont like it jason, then just look past it and let me enjoy this, okay.

I don't understand why you are making a big deal out of it. You call me out on everything I do and try to talk me down. I'm excited about it, and I made a progress thread. If you dont like it jason, then just look past it and let me enjoy this, okay.

chillax a little, I am excited to see its turn out too.

Jason is always like this, why worry about it so much?

I don't understand either. If you don't agree with what someone is doing, especially if someone is doing something helpful for all of us CEG’rs, you might want to respond with a useful solution rather than obtuse comments that are meaningless to the cause.

Thanks for posting the pictures Rawburt. I, as well as most others, share your excitement. Keep them coming. :laugh:

don't worry about negative comments, everything looks good, i got my kit last night. too bad i have to pull my tranny first before my kit goes on.:nonono:

i wouldnt listen to steeda, i think hes upset that people dont want to spend 600+ on a freakin exhaust system haha

i am tapping the oil pan. after talking with joey too, i decided to do it this way rather then tapping teh block. i am keeping 2 pans one for the turbo and one for when i go back to n/a. i didnt want to tap the block because as joey said its much more difficult to do. joey said that tapping the pan is fine, given it is high enough in the pan. after talking to my mechanic, he said that you could be asking for trouble by tapping the oil feed to the block because thats just another area that could be prone to leak oil. like burt said, the adc kit had the oil feed to the pan, joey thinks its ok if done in the right spot. i am not really sure why everyone insists on tapping the block rather then the pan. sounds like joey should be the one instructing us on how to feed the turbo with oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back