• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

joining the club.......

I'm just curious has anyone run a charger off of the cam pulley? It would be a lot closer to where you are trying to get the air to flow versus running piping all the way over from the passenger side. You also wouldn't have to screw around with a jack shaft like the Vortech kits.

Also unless you use a water to air intercooler you'd still have to run just as much piping for a front mount intercooler even if it was on the throttle body side.

Backyard engineers don't realise that a Turbo bearing isn't made to take ANY real radial loading, like when you throw a belt onto a turbo shaft.
It'll never work without using some sort of supported jack shaft that has decent sized DGBB's to take the radial loads from the tension of the belt.

chris had mr knight put different bearings in the supercharger so they are not the same as a turbo bearing. they are made to handle the load of the pulley and supposedly i could run the thing at 67k rpms and still be fine on side pressure. however, if this doesnt work when i get it back, i will be extending the engine mount, and having my favorite machinist make me a new shaft, which will extend further out through the compressor housing and that will take much of the side force off of the two bearings which are so close together. this could also be why there are problems with the bearings going out. it will work either way, but i'd rather just get bearings that are so overbuilt for the application that i cant blow them out no matter what i do :p

mr knight shoulda got the blower unit today so hopefully he will work on it before the holiday, so i can get it back in about a week from thanksgiving. we'll see. and as for the restriction.....i have no idea why it would be a problem, but my car would not go over 5000 rpms when i took the piping off and the blower off and ran through the intercooler/second half of piping. i took off the intercooler and it ran great. i think the intercooler is too restrictive for the setup. i'm going to try to see how it runs without the cooler, and if it's good, i'll probably invest in a good intercooler, probalby a air/water with a radiator and a pump, just run onto a switch for when i need it :) and if none of this works, i've got a mustang lined up that i will make into a poor man's saleen (clone, cuz im a po white boy) and put a blower on that. so....uh....wish me luck! (yea ya this thread is worthless without pics)

Hopefully he isn't using a "hammer-press" to pound the bearing into the housing. #1 reason for bearing failure is incorrect installation - most notably NOT supporting the correct surface when pressing in the baring into the housing. So many people THINK and CLAIM to know what they're doing, but they are often mistaken.

When you press a bearing into a housing you press it in by pressing on it'sOUTER race, NOT the inner, and vice versa for the shaft - i.e. you support the INNER race when you press a shaft into the bor of a bearing. Don't do this and you'll most likely brinell the bearing in the process and it's fuxored from the get go.

he's a pretty smart dude. and apparently i am, because i was going to hammer press the bearings in myself but i decided that i wouldnt be able to install it correctly without possibly mashing the bearing seals thus ruining the bearings. if this doesnt work, i'll update with the new plan, which seems to make more and more sense as days go by.... :)

he's a pretty smart dude. and apparently i am, because i was going to hammer press the bearings in myself but i decided that i wouldnt be able to install it correctly without possibly mashing the bearing seals thus ruining the bearings. if this doesnt work, i'll update with the new plan, which seems to make more and more sense as days go by.... :)
I was being facetious about using a "hammer-press", i.e. a hammer, to install a bearing, and I hope you were joking too.:help:

I was being facetious about using a "hammer-press", i.e. a hammer, to install a bearing, and I hope you were joking too.:help:

But I have a hammer-press out in the garage... and it works great.. I can press, bend, and crush with it. It's multipurpose.

My hammer press is also great at pressing things that I didnt even know I needed or wanted pressed. I guess it knows more than me.

I got the newer model. It has the optional finger and TOE (don't ask.. lol) press, too.

yes, i was joking lol. i prefer to use the "bench vise with a socket the same size as the bearing" press. it works great. lol.

well, Blackcoog got a UPS slip on his doorstep so he missed them yesterday, but the blower is back. i'll have it today or monday, depending on if chris gets out to grab it or not. hopefully this time we'll be able to run it!

i'm so lazy lol, the blower is sitting in my room in the box......the mount and 2 of the pulleys are on the car yet..... i might not put it on till spring.... but i can take pics of piles of parts? lol

Back