• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

The $5,000 car thread

LauraSVT

I'm a dude, no really!
What car would you buy for $5,000?

You can spend less if you like.

I was just faced with this very question a month ago. After searching for a couple weeks, I ended up with my CSVT. 2nd/3rd choice were both Cougars. On the less practical side, if I had another 5k today...1988 T-Bird.

2000-2001 Lincoln LS.

- It has most of the standard luxuries.
- 5-speed option
- V8 out of a Jag.
- Relatively little problems and everyone I asked still loves theirs.

For $5k they can be had in the 140-160k mile range.

...On the less practical side, if I had another 5k today...1988 T-Bird.

I suspect it would be a Turbo Coupe?

I would go with a 1983 or 1984 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe or a 1982 Capri White Lightning. I am considering going with one of them in the spring, but don't know which way I'll end up going. I think I am leaning toward the T-Bird. I love driving my girl's 1986 Cougar. :cool:

-5.0L Fox
-huge-engine land yacht, preferably a Caddy.
-CSVT
-FSVT
-Jeep Cherokee Sport or Wrangler (depends if I want body lift, or if I'd go rock crawling...probably go for the Cherokee...)

NO MORE CARS! please!
:help:

I can't add a beast to the fleet right now...

In the spirit of Johnny Dangerously: I cannot believe my fargin' ears!!! I'd like to suggest www.monster-storage.com for your growing fleets. :D I had to rent out a 10x20 storage space so that I wouldn't be constantly shuffling cars in and out of the garage, and also not to relegate the g/f to parking on the street.

To answer the original question in the post: I'm tossing around a W123-chassis diesel Mercedes or a smaller-engined car like a Slant-Six Dodge Dart (Al Bundy's car), a 6-cyl 1964-1966 Mustang, or a BMW 2002. Admittedly, if you got any of these for under $5k, they might need some work. :(

That Lincoln Continental Mark VI is looking better. :D

-5.0L Fox
-huge-engine land yacht, preferably a Caddy.
-CSVT
-FSVT
-Jeep Cherokee Sport or Wrangler (depends if I want body lift, or if I'd go rock crawling...probably go for the Cherokee...)

I don't think FSVTs are that cheap yet are they? if so them maybe that will be a good dd when I need a new one ...

FSVT's will take 300whp to a stock block all day long. Bolt on a turbo and your go for some seriously fast foccy. Variable cam timing makes the torque band infinitely more usuable.

But, the cheapest I have seen a FSVT for was asking $5. I suppose 4 might have taken it with 1000 left over for the turbo fund?

XR4Ti with money left for mods :cool:

I'm with brian on the X-Type thing. I hope we can all move on to them collectively so that we can support them as a group lol. jag forums are terrible!

I suspect it would be a Turbo Coupe?
Well, preferably. But either way is fine...good body is more important. In the long run it would end up 302 powered, likely with a mild twin-turbo setup and would run via 5/6 speed stick. But '88 is absolute (or at least that's what it would look like in the end). I love the '87-'88 tail lights and only the latter had the good headlights. I've only fantasized about this car for 5-6 years now:crazy:. I ran across one advertised here in MI same time as finding my CSVT...turbo coupe with built 302/T-5, 4.10 gears:drool:. I had to let it go cuz the whole idea of the purchase was to save miles on my truck during the winter (it'll still be the nasty weather ride but we only get dumped on 3-5 times per winter). The CSVT will be perfect for dry to 2 inches snow. The T-bird....mmm, not so much:nonono:.

Back