• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

sunroof problem

millertime86

CEG'er
My sunroof doesnt work, when i press the button, the motor works and tries to open it, but it doesnt move. it seems to be pushed down in (see pictures) it also leaks a bit.

any ideas? easy fix or do i need to take it somewhere?

imgp2041oq3.jpg

imgp2042rv4.jpg

Sounds like your plastic drive gear is shot. This is a common problem and not that hard to replace. Do a search and you can find more info on this. Seems to me I read a post reciently where someone was selling this part. I think it was around $30. Yes that is steep, but it is what it is. If you have your car long enough it will fail again too.

It is leaking because it isn't closed all the way. See if you can help it close while running the motor. Don't know if that will work but worth a try.

Regards,
AF

Last edited:
what that guy said above me is right my plastic gear is busted as well as i will be replacing it shortly for the second time lmao it`s a bit of a pain but well worth it for such a awesome car love my 98 contour svt toredor red :)

one easy way to do is to take the screws out of the little plastic thing, should be a couple of philips. Then slide it back and you'll see some torx screws(can't remember how many), take those out and your sunroof glass should come right out. then you'll be able to see exactly what it is. mine was just popped off track and now it's fixed. but that was my car not yours. if you take the glass out, you can reset it to sit flush with the car. that's what i did til i got a new motor for it.

Back