• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

The $5,000 car thread

XR4Ti with money left for mods :cool:

I'm with brian on the X-Type thing. I hope we can all move on to them collectively so that we can support them as a group lol. jag forums are terrible!

I've wanted a Jag x-type 3.0 sport since they came out. Everytime I talk about wanting one, I get made fun of :nonono: I hear they have a lot of problem too...

i believe the first year of the x-type had alot of problem, much like the contour. They should have been straighten out for later years.

the miata is my intention for Feb/Mar...I've sourced a couple already, just hope they last until then. I hope the snow flies soon to help preserve the availablity. Amazing the low miles for $5k.

If I were to add to the fleet, without a single hesitation I would get one of the following Miatas:
1991 Classic Red with black top
1991 Special Edition BRG with tan interior
1993 Limited Edition Brilliant Black with red interior (just because it's rare!)

If there's money left over, I'd entertain a black 190e.

what? no love for the '92 SE, black & tan? :cry:, I miss her so...irked me when the following year black was made a standard color. I wished they would've kept it special like the BRG, even the ugly yellow, bah! There was a woman in a standard black pulling into the tanning salon as I was pulling out, she gave me a huge smile like "we have the same car!"...I'm like, "no f'king way, bimbo!" :mad: "you see these, they're BBS...you see this? it's Nardi!" I mumbled to myself all the way home...

92brilliantblack.jpg

actually after reading this thread, you guys made me remember how I wouldn't mind an x-type or a Lincoln LS
We have off and on looked to purchase either of the two in the past, but ended up with other cars instead.

Also, I've always had a silly sick crush on the late '90s early '00 Lincoln Town Cars.
soooooo sexy

actually after reading this thread, you guys made me remember how I wouldn't mind an x-type or a Lincoln LS
We have off and on looked to purchase either of the two in the past, but ended up with other cars instead.

Also, I've always had a silly sick crush on the late '90s early '00 Lincoln Town Cars.
soooooo sexy

You mean the 1998-2002?

98_lincoln_towncar.jpg

I did not expect that from you. I love the Eighties ones as well as the 1990-1994s.

I had a 1993 that looked just like this:

1994LTC.jpg

It even had the chrome fender trim, which I removed the first day. It had a red interior, though. Such a perfect interior color for that car.

I would also love a 1994 SHO in great condition with low mileage. Since SHOs of that description are now so rare, five large might not cut it, but maybe. Make mine deep jewel green with mocha leather, please. And 5-speed. With a sunroof. Just like my first SHO. :cool:

800px-ford_taurus_sho_second-gen.jpg

what? no love for the '92 SE, black & tan? :cry:
I can't see your pic at work but I'm sure it's a beautiful car.

I have much love for all Miatas, in particular the first gens with no passenger airbag (the dash just flows better).

Those three were merely the top of the list. I'm not overly partial to Special Editions. I think black/tan would be number 4. Then Sunburst Yellow, then the Montego Blue.

After that, anything except silver or white. Worst colors on a Miata ever. :)

Thought of another.

Jared, this one's right up your alley. I'd SO rock one of these, even though they're 100% impractical...

Lots of folks say they're a good bit more reliable than most people think. Get out your Brillo pads and throw away your wax. :laugh:

Here's the man himself:

stainlessWings-John.Delorean.2.jpg

John-Z-DeLorean-resized.jpg

I'd SO rock one of these, even though they're 100% impractical.

I would also.

I remember driving my grandmothers 90 Crown vic. talk about floating down the road. only thing I disliked about it was it was almost impossible to get it to kick down out of overdrive. But around a corner with enough pedal it would light up one of the wheels.

I would also.

I remember driving my grandmothers 90 Crown vic. talk about floating down the road. only thing I disliked about it was it was almost impossible to get it to kick down out of overdrive. But around a corner with enough pedal it would light up one of the wheels.

I will say that my '88 T-Car requires a less than subtle jab of your right foot to effect downshifts, but one thing that could have been at play in the case of this Crown Vic, if it was really difficult, is an out of whack throttle valve, or TV, cable. The Ford AOD shifts based on accelerator position, unlike the 3-speed (and excellent) vacuum-controlled C5 that came before it. If the cable stretches, you can get the problem you're describing.

Lots of folks say they're a good bit more reliable than most people think. Get out your Brillo pads and throw away your wax. :laugh:

It's not a reliability issue... it's a parking space, two-seat only issue. ;) Though, admittedly, I'm routinely driving only myself and occasionally my wife around.

That would definitely be a fun ride. And I would have to get it up to 88 miles per hour within 24 hours of owning the car. ;)

I will say that my '88 T-Car requires a less than subtle jab of your right foot to effect downshifts, but one thing that could have been at play in the case of this Crown Vic, if it was really difficult, is an out of whack throttle valve, or TV, cable. The Ford AOD shifts based on accelerator position, unlike the 3-speed (and excellent) vacuum-controlled C5 that came before it. If the cable stretches, you can get the problem you're describing.

I don't think that was the case. when it was sold a year or two ago it only had 50k on it and was just driven around town. It had the 5L of course but it didn't put out alot of power. I think it was all in how it was designed to run, ie trying to be fuel efficient. It would down shift but there was a noticable pause between the pedal was on the floor and when it actually kicked down a gear.

It's not a reliability issue... it's a parking space, two-seat only issue. ;) Though, admittedly, I'm routinely driving only myself and occasionally my wife around.

yeah but the mustang is basically a 2 seater also ... like anyone could fit comfortable back there for any length of time ...

After that, anything except silver or white. Worst colors on a Miata ever. :)

the best one I've found is white, I don't care for it either...luckily it's a small car & my dad has a body shop :D

A bright cherry red (brighter than factory) w/ black interior would be nice...a simpson rear bumper, bright silver mesh wheels w/ a polished lip & a set of springs, that's all I want. Keep it simple & clean.

Thought of another.

Jared, this one's right up your alley. I'd SO rock one of these, even though they're 100% impractical.

good luck touching one that runs for anywhere near $5k

there is one sitting in my grandmother in-laws parking lot. which is wierd because its a condo complex mostly full of older people.

good luck touching one that runs for anywhere near $5k

there is one sitting in my grandmother in-laws parking lot. which is wierd because its a condo complex mostly full of older people.

Yes, a five-thousand dollar deLorean will be a project, indeed. They are cool cars, nonetheless. :cool: A buddy of mine and I used to see one down on Pickering Wharf in Salem.

Back