• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

The $5,000 car thread

My g/f has a 2003 Forester XS. Quite practical, as you say, though not much character. That little boxer 4 has got some umph... must be those long intake runners. BTW, are Subaru's on the expensive side to maintain? I heard that somewhere...
My parents have two Foresters which is why I didn't buy one myself. Maintenance costs are on par with other Japanese vehicles, they are known for bad wheel bearings and some older Subaru engines (late 90s early 00s, 2.5L mostly) like to blow head gaskets. Other than wheel bearings my dad has had almost no issues with his 2000.

Recently picked up a mid-80s W123 diesel Benz. Holy crap that thing is solid, and you can entertain yourself for hours watching the German reviews on YouTube. I pulled 30mpg in mixed driving (60% city, 40% highway), although I'm getting less on my current tank of B50.

hmmmm expect PM's from me about it...lol

I don't think FSVTs are that cheap yet are they? if so them maybe that will be a good dd when I need a new one ...

Thats funny you say that because there was just an 03 blk fsvt on ny craigslist for $3800 in very good condition, but it did have 160k on it.

On a side note 76 ranchero GT would be a sweet project

Last edited:
still kicking myself for not buying a ranchero years ago when one was offered to me.
it came with a parts car and enough parts to build a third all for $1500.

grrr

still kicking myself for not buying a ranchero years ago when one was offered to me.
it came with a parts car and enough parts to build a third all for $1500.

grrr

no kidding one of my sisters boyfriends had a ranchero gt, green and white with 8,000 miles on it for sale maybe like 15yrs ago, sold it for cheap(don't remember, maybe 3g's), it would be worth some $$ now. He also had a ford ranger gt, red and mint.

Back