• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Spring Zing 2010

The Dells is a fun place, don't get me wrong, but in May most stuff is still closed as the season doesn't start until after Memorial Day. It will be another two hours of driving for people who have already had to drive an extra five+ hours to get through Chicago to Wisconsin. There's no major airport for people to fly into for those who don't want to drive. I don't know of a drag strip or circuit track in the area that I'm aware of. Some may not be interested in doing anything car related beyond show-n-shine, but others that come out are.

I also know those of you who live in farmland are afraid of big cities and all, but Milwaukee is not the ghetto you make it out to be. Milwaukee's crime rate has dropped 35% over the last few years; not that it was high to begin with. It has good neighborhoods and bad neighborhoods just like any major city. We will be in the good neighborhoods. As someone who grew up on the south side of the city I find it kind of offensive that it gets dissed like that when it's not even true.

http://www.wisn.com/news/7372054/detail.html

I am not afraid of big cities. I have been in and out of Milwaukee several times a week for the last 6+ years. It may not be "all that bad", but it sure isn't all that good. People driving to the Dells could pretty much bypass Chicago and go up through Rockford. Way easier than driving through Chicago. I bet most CEGers could care less about a drag strip, as most people at SZ this year didn't. One of my favorite events this year was the cruise, and the dells area has some beautiful scenery and great driving roads. You could push SZ10 to after memorial day weekend and then everything would be open. That way, some of the college guys that have finals can still make it. The event should be tailored to provide the most fun, entertaining, and enjoyable experience for us CEGers, not just in a place that is closer to a strip and track. Spring Zing is soooo much more than that.

Tell you what Hetfield, us WI guys should get together and talk about SZ ideas and what we can do to make it an amazing SZ. We can get together for a meet and drink, grill out, and discuss different ideas that we have. I know Joe and I have talked and we have some ideas that we thought of that are great. The more info and input we share can only prove to be beneficial. I'll PM you my number so we can talk if you'd like.

Getting upto the dells can be just as big a PITA as driving through ????chago or milwaugay. Allthese cities can be passed through with ease late at night midday. Timing is key. MIlwaugay has alot too offer,so does the dells and madison. If hatefield decided on milwaugay then so be it. then we all need to quit beetching about the other "cool" places and deal with it. if people don't mind driving i say this.
1.Safehouse banquet
2.Silk Juneau/roadtrip
3.Elkhart lake open track day/races
4.Union grove duh/RALLYCROSS!!!!
5.go carts anywhere in the state that is good.

More competition and less bench racing.

I am not afraid of big cities. I have been in and out of Milwaukee several times a week for the last 6+ years. It may not be "all that bad", but it sure isn't all that good.

Again with the opinionated misinformation? You talk like the entirety of the city is a ghetto.

I bet most CEGers could care less about a drag strip, as most people at SZ this year didn't.
The strip was canceled because it was raining. I know of several people who wanted to go, myself definitely included.

You could push SZ10 to after memorial day weekend and then everything would be open.
Then it's no longer Spring Zing, it's Summer Zing. The event used to be held in April from my understanding. There was talk in previous years to move it back to June, but that was largely disliked. The point of Spring Zing was to have a kickoff to the summer race/show season and give people a reason to get their cars out of storage and ready to go. I guess there's no real technical reason to not have it in June other than a name change. Still, it was not our intent to make drastic changes to how SZ is run.

The event should be tailored to provide the most fun, entertaining, and enjoyable experience for us CEGers, not just in a place that is closer to a strip and track. Spring Zing is soooo much more than that.
I fail to see how Milwaukee won't provide that, since the majority of the time we spend in the hotel parking lot. How many SZs have you been to now?

Hey Mike, is there going to be a list posted of people who can pickup/deliver from the airport so we know who is getting who? Let me know if you need anything else.

I fail to see how Milwaukee won't provide that, since the majority of the time we spend in the hotel parking lot.

I think you mean the majority of night time after dinner and clubbing, but not the daytime.

btw, summer starts in late June. :p
But I'm still a fan of SZ in May.

btw, summer starts in late June. :p

Meteorological summer starts June 1st. Memorial Day is typically considered the start of summer, and Labor Day is the start of fall. For the Dells, June 1st means ????loads of tourists and higher hotel rates. I stayed at a place in the Dells at the end of September a couple years ago and got a double bed room for about $90/night. During the summer the same place is about $150/night.

I really hate sounding like I'm dissing the place because I'm not; I spent my birthday there last year and had a lot of fun. I'd be open to an end of summer event in the Dells for the WI/IL/MN CEGers, but I'm not about to completely revamp SZ.

and the fact is.. SZ is still a CAR event... if i'm gonna be going to amusement parks and crap like that I have no reason to bring my car and there's no reason for it to be a car event.

Track, Strip, and Dyno are necessary otherwise we might as well just call it "Contour Spring Drinking Social"

and the fact is.. SZ is still a CAR event... if i'm gonna be going to amusement parks and crap like that I have no reason to bring my car and there's no reason for it to be a car event.

Track, Strip, and Dyno are necessary otherwise we might as well just call it "Contour Spring Drinking Social"

My sentiments exactly.

I just want to chime in on this.
The previous planners of Spring Zing have seen Mike & Josh's outline for SZ 2010 and all have said it's really good. It's very well rounded in terms of things to do, places to go, general activities, etc. My suggestion would be to get off their backs and allow them to make a great event.

Mark

Back