• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Proper disposal of coolant?

How would you dispose of used coolant fluid? Is there a particular agency responsible, etc.? [I'm in the metro-Atlanta area and AutoZone and Advance only recycle used motor oil.] I have a leaky water pump seal and I want to replace it. I was also wanting to replace the fluid since I'd be in the neighborhood. ...looking to do the right thing

:shrug:, only time I've dealt with coolant was for motor swaps and I just mixed it with the oil drain I had. Put it in a milk jug, took it to an autoparts store I dont frequent much and told them "this is coolant and oil mixed, I'm not going to dump it in your oil thing and I'm not taking it home. Thanks!" and walked out.

We used to take ours to PepBoys when we lived near one (along with our old oil)
Now we just dispose of it during our city's semi-annual, hazardous waste disposal days.

kudos to you for trying to dispose of it properly, rather than dumping it or something.

Contact your Sewer and Water department. I know that were I live, you just send it down the drain to the treatment plant.

Contact some of the smaller garages in your area, one may take it.
If not, contact the City/Town and ask about Haz. material collection as suggested previously.

Flush down toilet (if you have sewer). May not be OK, but certainly better than dumping in woods or storm sewer.

It's an energy drink for dogs I hear. :shrug:

I usually just throw it in with oil in a 5 quart jug and take it down to Auto Zone when I dispose of my oil.

Unlike with oil, it is totally acceptable to pour coolant down the drain if you are connected to a municipal sewer system. With a septic tank, I'd be iffy but it's probably also ok.

Unlike with oil, it is totally acceptable to pour coolant down the drain if you are connected to a municipal sewer system. With a septic tank, I'd be iffy but it's probably also ok.
NOT IN NJ!

It is totally unacceptable to dump coolant to the muni sewer system.

I hope you (mcgarvey) actually do not do this. Thanks for helping to pollute my state's waterways, if you do.

If you want the correct answer, call your local DPW. If you don't have one, put it into jugs and drop it off at any auto chain store. They are more than happy to NOT INTRODUCE HAZARDOUS WASTE TO THE MUNI SEWERS.

Yeah I'm no tree-hugger. But I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing that I helped pollute the water system of any city or state. That kind of :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: is unacceptable.:blackeye:

go to a repair shop late at night and leave it if they tell you they wont take it

or tell them to call the DEP and explain why they won't take it. if they still give you crap, whip out your cell phone and offer to call for them.

around here, ALL service stations (local mechanics to places like autozone, if they have a garage they have a disposal drum) are required by law to take waste oil/coolant and i tihnk even batteries.

i hate when they give me crap about their drum being full though...not my problem.

NOT IN NJ!

It is totally unacceptable to dump coolant to the muni sewer system.

I hope you (mcgarvey) actually do not do this. Thanks for helping to pollute my state's waterways, if you do.

If you want the correct answer, call your local DPW. If you don't have one, put it into jugs and drop it off at any auto chain store. They are more than happy to NOT INTRODUCE HAZARDOUS WASTE TO THE MUNI SEWERS.

I will double check with my municipality, but I believe I actually read that it is acceptable in one of their publications that get sent out to all taxpaying residents. I live in Gloucester county, BTW.

It depends on where you live. Call your local DPW and ask them if it's safe. I've talked to about 10 different people at mine and no one seemed to know. I finally got the commissioner and he told me it was safe to pour in the drain. He told me all the bad crap in it will be safely removed at the treatment plant.

I asked around until I found the local Jiffy Lube would take it. I sort of had to plead with the owner but he knew I was trying to do the right thing and was in a hard spot. Pouring it down the drain would have been easier but I would have felt like a turd doing that.

Back