• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New Mod: Mondeo Trip Computer, modified, the money shots!

I have succeded in getting most of the trip computer to work but need to find out if our PCM outputs fuel flow rate and if so what pin it comes from. The large square connector F42001 does not have a wire at pin 28 on either end on my car, it may be on some others. This is where the fuel flow rate signal comes from on trip computer equiped Mondeos comes from. Otherwise I have all the functions to work except external temp which I will hook up this weekend. The clock is either 12 or 24 hour, temp is F or C, all distance/speed are mph or kph.
Without fuel flow rate it can't do MPG or distance to empty.
When I get everything finished I will post a how to with pictures and pinouts.

NotRatnerExcellent.jpg

^^^ Pic of Mr. Burns saying, "Excellent."

Sorry OB, not your Holy Grail. :laugh:

Last edited:
I have succeded in getting most of the trip computer to work but need to find out if our PCM outputs fuel flow rate and if so what pin it comes from. The large square connector F42001 does not have a wire at pin 28 on either end on my car, it may be on some others. This is where the fuel flow rate signal comes from on trip computer equiped Mondeos comes from. Otherwise I have all the functions to work except external temp which I will hook up this weekend. The clock is either 12 or 24 hour, temp is F or C, all distance/speed are mph or kph.
Without fuel flow rate it can't do MPG or distance to empty.
When I get everything finished I will post a how to with pictures and pinouts.

Great to hear you almost have everything all wired up! Perhaps one of you guys with a Ford CD can help oberthecat track down the elusive fuel flow rate wire to tap?

taken from:

http://www.mirez.co.uk/Trips.htm

(I would reverse any directions of "left" and "Right" orientation, black text = mk1 and mk2, blue = mk1 only, red = mk2 only)

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When splicing into wires in the engine bay compartment remember that they are subject to weather conditions. You must either crimp or solder the connections and make sure they are 100% insulated.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The other two wires go to the large connector just to the left of the passenger side suspension turret. You'll either have 3 small oval connectors here (Early Mk1) or one large square one. In this connector(s) you'll find signals from the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) and from the EEC's fuel flow monitor. It's worth noting that most Mk2 car's have the VSS signal already in the car feeding the speedo and the radio (if speed sence is active). Only Mk1 car's with the auxiliary warning module will have the VSS signal present in the cabin. If you want to find the VSS cable on the back of the radio or behind the instrument cluster (WH/BU) then you can splice it at this point rather then back in the engine bay - you'll still need to connect the fuel flow wire to the engine connector.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Now this is the trickiest part of the wiring operation as you have to identify the two wires in this connector out of about 40! Whilst is looks like a nightmare, if you take your time and work over the connector methodically you'll find it's actually pretty easy to ID the correct wire. Just remember that there are some colour repeats so take your time and make sure you count the correct number of wires. We'll start with the Mk2 (Note some late Mk1's also use this connector type) Square type connector and the VSS signal. The pin you are looking for in number 5 and is colour coded WHITE/BLUE. This is the easier one to find as the square connector only has 2 WH/BL wires in it. One running through an outter edge pin (the one we want) and the other coming from the centre of the connector. The second we need is a solid white wire running through pin 10 of this connector. Pin 10 is also on an edge and is at the bottom of the row next to the VSS signal.[/FONT]

M2Connector.jpg

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The colours shown are what SHOULD be at the relevant pins, however Ford have a habit of changing wiring colours for no apparent reason so don't be alarmed if one or possibly two of the help wires are incorrect. Just ensure that PIN5 is WHITE/ BLUE and PIN10 is SOLID WHITE.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SQUARE CONNECTOR NOTE: Cars made from Aug 1998 have a different engine loom fitted, as a result the pin locations are different. Pin 28 (Solid White) is the fuel flow wire and Pin 13 (White/VIOLET) is the VSS Signal.[/FONT]​

taken from:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SQUARE CONNECTOR NOTE: Cars made from Aug 1998 have a different engine loom fitted, as a result the pin locations are different. Pin 28 (Solid White) is the fuel flow wire and Pin 13 (White/VIOLET) is the VSS Signal.[/FONT]
Thanks for the post, I appreciate the help. I guess I should have made myself clearer about the resources I have. I printed out the above referenced artical and got the 99 Ford CD from AliesJerk. The connector as can be seen is F42001 and I used both references in an effort to find what is needed.

The Pin 28 (Solid White) wire is not there on my car. I have the CD and it calls for pin 28 the Ye (yellow) It is not there either no my car. I have a 1999 Mercury Mystique LS 2.5l MTX. The connector is there and pin13 is the VSS. Pin 28s' location is visable on the connector but there is no hole for a wire. That is why I am looking for information about where else to look.
Keep the ideas comming, sooner or later we will find the answer.

Thanks for the post, I appreciate the help. I guess I should have made myself clearer about the resources I have. I printed out the above referenced artical and got the 99 Ford CD from AliesJerk. The connector as can be seen is F42001 and I used both references in an effort to find what is needed.

The Pin 28 (Solid White) wire is not there on my car. I have the CD and it calls for pin 28 the Ye (yellow) It is not there either no my car. I have a 1999 Mercury Mystique LS 2.5l MTX. The connector is there and pin13 is the VSS. Pin 28s' location is visable on the connector but there is no hole for a wire. That is why I am looking for information about where else to look.
Keep the ideas comming, sooner or later we will find the answer.

whoops...i think I skimmed over your very clear explanation earlier about where you are in the process. Good luck!

does anyone have a wiring harness they can unravel and physically trace that white or yellow wire for fuel metering on ?......G.

I dont know if i am reading this right or not, but it looks like the Wh/Rd wire goes from the fuel pump module to the dash for the gauge, and somewhere along the lines a WH wire branches off. it looks like pin 11 on the big square connector and goes to the PCM, i wonder if that is the "fuel flow", it does match the colors on the mirez website?

Attachments

• fuel.JPG
    fuel.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 0
Working Functions

Working Functions

Trip odometer in miles and outside temp
IMG_3258.jpg

Average speed MPH and time in 12hr can be done on 24hr clock as well
IMG_3259.jpg

Average speed mph and stop watch
IMG_3260.jpg

Trip distance in Kilometers and stop watch
IMG_3261.jpg

Average speed in Kilometers per hr and stop watch
IMG_3262.jpg

Average speed in Kilometers per hr and outside temp in celcius
IMG_3263.jpg

The PATS light also works properly.
No MPG or other fuel flow rate dependent displays yet because I still need to find a source for this information.

Oh man, I've been following this for a while now, I was gonna wait til you got the last few things working but I may have to spring for one of these now.

I dont know if i am reading this right or not, but it looks like the Wh/Rd wire goes from the fuel pump module to the dash for the gauge, and somewhere along the lines a WH wire branches off. it looks like pin 11 on the big square connector and goes to the PCM, i wonder if that is the "fuel flow", it does match the colors on the mirez website?

anyone try this wire yet? i havent had a chance to

I may try that tomorrow, I have been working on getting what I have to work. Thanks for the idea, the worst that can happen it is not the right wire. I am hopeing for the best.

nice work don! I just checked ebay UK and found like 5 trip computers for like £4.99 plus shipping. Was it fairly difficult to put together? Lot of wiring and work involved?

Now the trick is getting one of those crazy brits to ship it to the states :crazy:

Back