• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New Mod: Mondeo Trip Computer, modified, the money shots!

Alright I gotta find out if anyone else has dealt this. The only indication I'm getting as far as the trip computer side is DTE I have no mileage, no avg speed, no instant mpg, no avg mpg everything reads 0. The weird thing is that the DTE does count down not sure how accurate it is yet. Gotta be something with the VSS but my speedo and dash mileage gauge is working.

Alright I gotta find out if anyone else has dealt this. The only indication I'm getting as far as the trip computer side is DTE I have no mileage, no avg speed, no instant mpg, no avg mpg everything reads 0. The weird thing is that the DTE does count down not sure how accurate it is yet. Gotta be something with the VSS but my speedo and dash mileage gauge is working.

Might be a stupid question, but did you populate all of the pins on the connector? This is not a simple plug and play install. You need to pick up the temp sensor, and trip computer wire pigtail and wire it up correctly per the diagrams that are refereneced in the first few pages of this thread. Otherwise the only thing you will get is the date and time.

I didn't get any responses on my last post, but I am hoping someone can chime in to confirm some things with me. I have a 1998 E0, and for now I just plugged my recently-purchased MK2 trip-computer with software version 5.0 into the factory clock plug and the basic features work fine. Getting the temperature sensor wired up will be cake, but I read through the 15 pages here and I'm not totally sure on what it's going to take to get the MPG working properly.

I understand that I will need a different fuel pump, correct? Which pump will I need? How do I know if my car doesn't already have said fuel pump (last owner did several upgrades)? It sounds like tapping the Fuel Flow pin into the TPS (throttle position sensor) may not work on the E0. I suppose the next thing I need to do is modify the PCM harness for pin 43? Or will I need to tap into somewhere else to get my MPG on the MK2?

I understand I will also need to make sure the fuel remaining wire gets tapped into Pin 8 on the trip computer harness. Am I missing anything else? Will I need a 1998.5 or newer gauge cluster???

Any help with this would be really appreciated!!!

I have an E0, but I haven't messed with getting everything functioning as of yet.

For the fuel pump I'm not sure, but doesnt that require a returnless style pump? There is no fuel flow pin that I am aware of on a return style system and your E0 most likely will have a return style. So that could be a problem as your ECM will not be able to drive a returnless pump correctly.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response. As far as requiring a returnless style pump I'm really not sure, don't think I've read anything about that yet. If that's the case, do you think I could just swap out my E0 ECM for for a newer one to do a returnless style fuel system? I really want to keep this car far now, and really want the MPG function!

It wouldn't be as easy as a PCM, lines, pump swap. Body harnesses are different... So not worth it.

Thanks for the response. As far as requiring a returnless style pump I'm really not sure, don't think I've read anything about that yet. If that's the case, do you think I could just swap out my E0 ECM for for a newer one to do a returnless style fuel system? I really want to keep this car far now, and really want the MPG function!

OBDII plug and smartphone app seems like it would be easier and way cheaper.

So is the fuel level output my only potential problem with an E0, for the most part? If the fuel flow shouldn't be much of a problem, I would imagine there must be some way to combine other fuel pump/sender components that could be installed and wired to the trip computer. I just really need to figure out what I need / what my car doesn't have, specifically and in detail, in order to get the fuel remaining reading to properly work with the MK2 trip software.

Just a few notes as I mess with this wiz bang computer...

Fuel Flow = Throttle position output wire. This has to be tapped into at the TPS - Solid White wire. - DOES NOT WORK, IDLE IS ALL MESSED UP!!!!

Fuel Remaining = Instrument cluster harness, pin #7 (White/Red - Fuel Level) - WORKS FOR ME

VSS = Instrument cluster harness, pin #6 (White/Blue - VSS) - WORKS FOR ME

Outside Tempature = ANY Ford OATS (Outside Ambient Tempature Sensor). Installed in engine bay, wired into Pin 14 & 15. (Note: Contour/Mystique does not have this part, you will need to buy one from Ford or salvage one from a junkyard). - HAS TO BE FROM A COUGAR/FOCUS, RECTANGULAR SENSOR W/ SPRING CLIP FOR MOUNTING...
[/B]

I am going to pull my computer and see if I can replicate tagging a wire off of the circuit board for pin #43... BTW, my car is a returnless style (obviously) 2000 SVT...

Back