• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My custom 3.5" cold air intake

I fabricated this before NP came out with theirs. I've always had cold air intakes on my cars and I was frustrated by the lack of one for our cars. I used a BAT MAF adapter, a 3.5" silicone adapter from ebay, a 3.5" U-bend from Summit, a K&N filter with a 3.5" opening, and some insulating wrap. The fuse box was rotated to underneath the MAF, there was just enough room to make it fit. The next time I take it out to clean the filter i'll snap some pics of it out.

DSC_0081.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

Matt

thats cool and all but i have a fuse box there on my 99 where did you move it to?

Has anybody tested the temperatures of the NPG intake. It looks like it would be draxing in stagnant air from within the bumper.

The idea of the 'ram' intake isn't so much for the volume but for the effect of the air. My friend has a cold air intake with a scoop under his car in a suzuki aerio 2.3 and when we are driving around at 45mph the intake temp is sometimes 1-2 degrees lower than the outside temperature. That is because of the air rushing over the sensor. That is what I am trying to achieve.

Look in the duretec performance section . Searc NPG CAI and it will come up. He posted temps of the intake tube and the outside temp.

Ram air is pointless after 45mphs.

Tourige is right, why waste soo much time for 1-2 hp:shrug:

curious...why doesn't anyone try an external point..ie hood scoop, or any other place other than a couple inches from a 200+ degree engine?? am i missing something or is it just that people don't wanna f-up their hood? i am thinking about fabricating my own hood scoop simplily for the cooler air and the ram-air effect. please if i'm wrong or fix'n to f-up my car let me know how and why!

PM Zerohour for pictures of his SE.

Back