• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My Rear Strut Tower is Broken.. Structural Advice!

Yes I am going to talk to him about that as well. Reinforcing the otherside as well as the one thats Broken so when I put the RSTB it doesnt hurt the Strut tower.

Thanks for the reminder! Im actually going to be giving him my RSTB and saying GO FOR IT!!!!!

- amyn

stamping fracture

stamping fracture

Damn, never seen that before on any vehicle, but I do have another possible explanation. Not sure If I should admit this (lol), but I'm an engineer for Ford and have worked in stamping facilities. These shock toewrs and inner wheel wells are stamped seperately and obviously welded together. Every part stamped has the possibility of coming out of the stamping press with either a split and/or stress fracture. Maybe the steel itself was defective in this area, or the stamping dies were "misaligned" or there was too much press pressure when stamping the part or maybe there was insufficient lubrication sprayed on the steel as it was being formed/stamped while going through the series of dies that actually form the part. In any event, what I'm saying is most defective stamped parts (probably 99.9%) get caught right away and are scrapped out. However, the possibility of a split piece of metal or a stress fracture getting through is always possible. Add to that the amount of force that area is subjected to and yes, it can blow (obviously) apart. The twisted area by the rust is in my opinion secondary as to what really happened. Not that this helped in anyway, just another observation. Glad to hear it can be repaired and that it's not going to cost you an arm and a leg.

It can definitely be fixed. The question is how much it it going to cost. If you're not capable of doing the work yourself take it to a reputable body shop and get an estimate. If it's considerable more than a doner car, Id say swap your performance parts over and part out the rest.

Never mind, I missed the post about you repairing it.

Last edited:
Damn, never seen that before on any vehicle, but I do have another possible explanation. Not sure If I should admit this (lol), but I'm an engineer for Ford and have worked in stamping facilities. These shock toewrs and inner wheel wells are stamped seperately and obviously welded together. Every part stamped has the possibility of coming out of the stamping press with either a split and/or stress fracture. Maybe the steel itself was defective in this area, or the stamping dies were "misaligned" or there was too much press pressure when stamping the part or maybe there was insufficient lubrication sprayed on the steel as it was being formed/stamped while going through the series of dies that actually form the part. In any event, what I'm saying is most defective stamped parts (probably 99.9%) get caught right away and are scrapped out. However, the possibility of a split piece of metal or a stress fracture getting through is always possible. Add to that the amount of force that area is subjected to and yes, it can blow (obviously) apart. The twisted area by the rust is in my opinion secondary as to what really happened. Not that this helped in anyway, just another observation. Glad to hear it can be repaired and that it's not going to cost you an arm and a leg.

Now there's a reasonable explanation.

*update*

Pics added to first post and here! Part came into the shop today. Should be out in a couple. Hopefully I can go in and check the car out when it has a big hole in it and snap some pics and :cry:!

5-21-08Passinby006.jpg

5-21-08Passinby005.jpg

5-21-08Passinby004.jpg

5-21-08Passinby007.jpg

5-21-08Passinby001.jpg

If you are going to do the rstb, I would recommend you reinforcing the area on the exterior of the tower with some flat plate, if there is room. It's not that often that you have the opportunity to go in there and tig on some plate before it is installed.

Holy Frigging Dusty Body shops... Batman

If it stays there any longer it will look like a SF tour :shocked:

Pretty much almost White I passed by today and got some updates not much really done. But for reference I took some pictures.....

- amyn

IMG00041.jpg

IMG00040.jpg

IMG00039.jpg

IMG00038.jpg

IMG00037.jpg

IMG00036.jpg

IMG00035.jpg

Sorry about the cell phone pics.. but I forgot my camera @ the wifeys house and I really wanted pictures for future reference @ least. Cant wait 2 use my Rawburt Strut bar LOL!!!

- amyn

That is awesome. You should make sure to take one of those dorky pictures where you stick your head through and make a stupid face.:laugh:

I had nobody there to do it for me.... DAMNIT I think its gonna be done today too. Unless I go today...

But the Wifey wont let me!!!

- amyn

Hi guys!
nobody looked at the spring and shock absorber!!!
they are brand new (compare to the car and probably come from one of those sport kits which do not comply with manufacturer specification)
the sport shock absorbers are very tighter than the original one and transfer the hitting force to the body. and cause the metal to fatigue, it is because of unappropriate shocks and spring for sure. so after repaire better to change them!

Hi guys!
nobody looked at the spring and shock absorber!!!
they are brand new (compare to the car and probably come from one of those sport kits which do not comply with manufacturer specification)
the sport shock absorbers are very tighter than the original one and transfer the hitting force to the body. and cause the metal to fatigue, it is because of unappropriate shocks and spring for sure. so after repaire better to change them!

So what your saying is, it broke because he put an after market suspension that was built for this specific model car.

Where is that avatar..

Ahh yes here it is

noobaia2.jpg

Please read the whole thread. This happened before he put in the new suspension

Ohhh almost forgot, Hello

Back