• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Oil feed idear

todras

Pretty fly for a white guy *cowbell*
standard.jpg

Saw this set up on a twin turbo sand rail this weekend. Just wondering why people tap and block and pan instead of something like this. Could run it off the remote mount I have.

standard.jpg

you could run your oil supply from there, but it is super easy to just take the hex-head bolt out of the head and use it. that would be your shortest run. to run from your remote oil filter location is a long run to the turbo.

Todd, those are for the oil feeds . . . the tapping of the block or pan is for the oil return.

The remote mount stuff would work just fine for oil feed, but I think most folks are just using the galley plugs in the heads for the turbo or sc oil feed.

Because unless you have an oil sump and a pump right under the turbo it must be downhill all the way to where it reenters the engine.

And whats to say that the relocation is mounted above the turbo?

where it is on the pic I am pretty sure would be below the turbo but wouldn't the oil pressure from the pump cause a problem? right isn't the oil filter the first stop from the oil pump? where as tapping the pan wouldn't have any pressure except for gravity from a turbo

And whats to say that the relocation is mounted above the turbo?

while it may be mounted below the turbo on V6 contours, based on the picture it appears to be on the outside of the chassis next to the horn. this would require you to drill a hole through the frame. if your using NPG's turbo setup with an intercooler you already have to drill one fairly large hole through it, i wouldnt want to drill a second hole through the frame.

where it is on the pic I am pretty sure would be below the turbo but wouldn't the oil pressure from the pump cause a problem? right isn't the oil filter the first stop from the oil pump? where as tapping the pan wouldn't have any pressure except for gravity from a turbo

another very good point. you would end up having pressure coming in from both sides of the turbo. that would keep the oil from circulating through it and would quickly coke the oil. not to mention the extra pressure is more likely to blow out seals in the turbo.

First, on the feed side of turbos, you pretty much ALWAYS use a restrictor to reduce the pressure / flow of oil to what the turbo needs.

Second, on a turbo oil return, you need as large, short and straight a shot as possible. The oil coming out of the turbo is very foamy, and doesn't flow well, and if it has any opportunity to back up, it will build up in the turbo, leading to leaking seals, or coked up bearings.

Gotcha. Forgot about the return. :troutslap: I thought using the head to feed was a no no though.

while it may be mounted below the turbo on V6 contours, based on the picture it appears to be on the outside of the chassis next to the horn. this would require you to drill a hole through the frame. if your using NPG's turbo setup with an intercooler you already have to drill one fairly large hole through it, i wouldnt want to drill a second hole through the frame.

Do I look new? Not only did I have a set of NPG turbo pipes, I have an oil filter relocation. Im well aware of how both products mount. 3 bolt holes through the frame don't scare me in the least, the big turbo pipe does. Thats why I had planned on welding a larger pipe through to maintain some strength. Additionally the relocation could be mounted anywhere, and in any orientation... Which is why I was curious about its use as a drainback.

Back