• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Question about 4 channel amps

2000SE

Veteran CEG'er
The setup i am looking to get is three MTX 4500's in a sledehammer enclosure. Each of these takes about 225 watts rms and the box has three 4 ohm connectors (one for each sub). My options are to use it as is or wire the entire thing into one connector and have a 1.34 ohm load. I'd much rather keep it 4 ohm.

Anyway, as i see it, having 3 connectors i would need 3 channels or an individual amp for each one. I finally came to the conclusion that a 4 channel amp with one channel unused would fit my needs the best. With it being 4 channel though, I'm unsure as to what wires need to come from the HU to the amp in order to provide for all 4 channels. Normally there would be a single wire going into your typical red and white ports on the amp, but when i look at the pictures of the amp, i see 2 sets of these connections. (channels 1-2 and channels 3-4.) What would i need to do?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_10234_Lanzar+MXA422.html# <amp
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=510&i=236T4510X3&tp=112 < subs

If that's the exact sub enclosure you are buying, it's wired for a final impedance of 4 ohms. FORGET about the 4 channel amp scenario!!!! You need one amp that will produce around 600-800 watts rms into a 4 ohm load. You can achieve this via a bridged 2 channel amp or a mono sub amp. I'll get back to you with some suggestions.

the box has three 4 ohm connectors (one for each sub). ..

Anyway, as i see it, having 3 connectors i would need 3 channels or an individual amp for each one.
:shrug:

Do you allready have this enclosure at your house? The reason I ask is because usually "not always" when you buy a pre-loaded enclosure, the subs are allready prewired inside the box and have one set of terminals. Please let me know and I'll do further research from there.

Do you allready have this enclosure at your house? The reason I ask is because usually "not always" when you buy a pre-loaded enclosure, the subs are allready prewired inside the box and have one set of terminals. Please let me know and I'll do further research from there.

I was looking to buy it but was unsure as to what amp to get. The reason i figured that there were 3 terminals is because that and the 1.34 ohm load are the only possible ways to wire the subs. No other combination makes it a 4 ohm load besides each one being wired individually.

I was looking to buy it but was unsure as to what amp to get. The reason i figured that there were 3 terminals is because that and the 1.34 ohm load are the only possible ways to wire the subs. No other combination makes it a 4 ohm load besides each one being wired individually.

Understood. I would call them and ask but it's probably just one terminal and it's already set up to run at 4ohms. Again, I would go with one 2 channel amp or a mono sub amp.

Sledge hammer enclosure FTL! Anyways, why don't you just get a 1-ohm stable amp to handle your 1.34 ohm load.... or why don't you get some DVC subs so you can change your impedance up a little.

Based on some research I've done, I think these subs have single 12ohm coils which would result in a final impedance of 4ohms.

Sledge hammer enclosure FTL! Anyways, why don't you just get a 1-ohm stable amp to handle your 1.34 ohm load.... or why don't you get some DVC subs so you can change your impedance up a little.

Well two problems. The majority of amps that can handle a 1 ohm load, put out about 900 watts or more at that impedance, so i'd be pumping a good bit over rms to the subs. Secondly, i chose the enclosure because of the price, # of speakers and reliability of mtx. I wouldn't want to buy it and then swap out the subs. :shrug:

Based on some research I've done, I think these subs have single 12ohm coils which would result in a final impedance of 4ohms.

Details:
  • 10" 4-ohm subwoofer
  • carbon-filled poly cone with foam surround
  • power range: 50-225 watts RMS
  • peak power handling: 450 watts
  • frequency response: 35-150 Hz
  • sensitivity: 87.6 dB
  • top-mount depth: 4-5/8"
  • sealed box volume: 0.6-1.0 cubic feet
  • ported box volume: 1.25-1.75 cubic feet
Courtesy of Crutchfield.

Last edited:
I'm fairly certain what they meen is that the final impedance for the enclosure is 4 ohms. If this is the case, the subs would have to be either dual 6 ohm subs "which according to MTX's website they don't make" or 3 12 ohm single voice coil subs which according to their website, they do make. I find it very hard to believe that they would construct an enclosure that would net an impedance of 1.33 ohms or require you to run 3 seperate amps at 4 ohms each. Why don't you just call them to confirm? This way you'll know what kind of amp or amps to look for. EDIT* I called Crutchfield and it is in fact a single terminal with a final impedance of 4 ohms. With that in mind, I would go back to my original suggestion of getting 1 amp that will produce 600-800 watts rms bridged at 4ohms.

Well two problems. The majority of amps that can handle a 1 ohm load, put out about 900 watts or more at that impedance, so i'd be pumping a good bit over rms to the subs. Secondly, i chose the enclosure because of the price, # of speakers and reliability of mtx. I wouldn't want to buy it and then swap out the subs. :shrug:

Details:
  • 10" 4-ohm subwoofer
  • carbon-filled poly cone with foam surround
  • power range: 50-225 watts RMS
  • peak power handling: 450 watts
  • frequency response: 35-150 Hz
  • sensitivity: 87.6 dB
  • top-mount depth: 4-5/8"
  • sealed box volume: 0.6-1.0 cubic feet
  • ported box volume: 1.25-1.75 cubic feet
Courtesy of Crutchfield.

Last edited:
I'm fairly certain what they meen is that the final impedance for the enclosure is 4 ohms. If this is the case, the subs would have to be either dual 6 ohm subs "which according to MTX's website they don't make" or 3 12 ohm single voice coil subs which according to their website, they do make. I find it very hard to believe that they would construct an enclosure that would net an impedance of 1.33 ohms or require you to run 3 seperate amps at 4 ohms each. Why don't you just call them to confirm? This way you'll know what kind of amp or amps to look for. EDIT* I called Crutchfield and it is in fact a single terminal with a final impedance of 4 ohms. With that in mind, I would go back to my original suggestion of getting 1 amp that will produce 600-800 watts rms bridged at 4ohms.

Wow thanks a bunch! You really went out of your way to help me on this one and i appreciate it. I'll probably end up doing the 2 channel bridged route now because you can get a decent amount of power for cheap.

Yeah, most of those output 900 watt when they have there gain cranked all the way up, which means you could run the amp at a lower gain, and it would be much more efficient than running a 500 watt amp at full gain to get the same effect....

yeah if you're looking for a 1ohm stable and a pretty good price... hifonics seems the way to go.. i have plenty of friends w/ them and they dont seem to fail. maxxsonics makes some great products w/ hifonics being the entry level models.

Yeah, most of those output 900 watt when they have there gain cranked all the way up, which means you could run the amp at a lower gain, and it would be much more efficient than running a 500 watt amp at full gain to get the same effect....

So less gain = less power from the amp?

Wow thanks a bunch! You really went out of your way to help me on this one and i appreciate it. I'll probably end up doing the 2 channel bridged route now because you can get a decent amount of power for cheap.

No problem. At least now you know that you need an amp that will produce quite abit of power at a 4 ohm load. Forget about the 1 ohm amps, you will not need it for this setup. These days there seems to be an abundance of amps that will produce the kind of power you'll need at a reasonable price.

The amp I was mostly referring to, does 500W x 1 @ 4 ohm, 900W x 1 @ 2ohm and 900+W @ 1 ohm stable. It would be applicable to your situation, and also allow for some room to grow should you pick another setup....

For a 4 ohm setup.... there are tons of amps that can handle your setup, like I said before, I'd go with an amp slightly over your setups RMS to make it more efficient plus have room to grow for future setups.... Just make sure when picking out amps (and subs in the future) to look @ RMS and not peak/total power.....

Let us know what you find for amps and if you have any questions just keep on posting...

Slow day at work :D?

LOL. Just a quick break!

The amp I was mostly referring to, does 500W x 1 @ 4 ohm, 900W x 1 @ 2ohm and 900+W @ 1 ohm stable. It would be applicable to your situation, and also allow for some room to grow should you pick another setup....

For a 4 ohm setup.... there are tons of amps that can handle your setup, like I said before, I'd go with an amp slightly over your setups RMS to make it more efficient plus have room to grow for future setups.... Just make sure when picking out amps (and subs in the future) to look @ RMS and not peak/total power.....

Let us know what you find for amps and if you have any questions just keep on posting...

Slow day at work :D?

Do you honestly think an amp at minimal gain is outputting its maximum wattage?

I wasn't entirely sure what the knobs on the amps did. I know bass boost is pretty self explanatory but i wasn't entirely sure what gain did.

When it comes to the ohms, or resistance, how does the ohm load correlate with sound quality? I've heard that a lower load generally reduces the sound quality but i could be wrong. The majority of people I've talked have said that 4 ohms is the best mixture of sound quality and efficiency. What's your take on it?

Last edited:
Back