• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Question about 4 channel amps

I wasn't entirely sure what the knobs on the amps did. I know bass boost is pretty self explanatory but i wasn't entirely sure what gain did.

When it comes to the ohms, or resistance, how does the ohm load correlate with sound quality? I've heard that a lower load generally reduces the sound quality but i could be wrong. The majority of people I've talked have said that 4 ohms is the best mixture of sound quality and efficiency. What's your take on it?

Gain is how much your going to amplify the signal coming in by, pretty self explanatory, I don't use the bass boost too often unless I have too...

I really don't see too much of a "quality" issue with sound reproduction in subs as long as the amp and the subs match up properly and are tuned correctly. My setup is running 2.37 ohms or something like that IIRC... Sounds just as good as others who have a 4ohm load...

As far as I know, there's no difference in SQ regardless of what impedance your amp is running at. I know back in the day Orion made some phenomenal amps called HCCA. I think they have a new version of them now but I'm fairly certain they do not carry the same components as the originals. The original HCCA amps were notorius for being stable down to very low impedances. Some down to a 1/2 ohm if I recall. The reason these were phenomenal amps is because you could have a 2 channel amp that produced 25 watts per channel at 4ohms and then run something like 200 watts per channel at 1ohm "those are estimates". You would still be able to compete in a 50 watt class with that amp! They were notoriously reffered to as cheater amps. As far as I know, they still retained the same excellent SQ down to those low impedances.

Okay so let's go hypothetical. If you had the choice between 1 ohm load or a 4 ohm load which would you choose?

Okay so let's go hypothetical. If you had the choice between 1 ohm load or a 4 ohm load which would you choose?

Would depend on my speaker setup and amp.... usually the best starting point is to pick one or the other, than match from there....

For example, when I started thinking about my setup I knew I wanted X number of subs, which happened to be dual voice coil 4 ohm, went to rockfordfosgates's website and punched it into their woofer wiring wizard to see my availiable impedances, then bought an amp based on that that would give the most RMS output at that load and for a decent price...

If you're talking about that MTX enclosure, your only option is going to be 4 ohms. I'm fairly certain the subs are single 12 ohm subs so you have no other option.

There's really no set mark that you should have the gain on. There are alot of different variables involved. Just start with the gain at the minimal setting and increase it until you think the subs sound good to you.

I did some shopping around and a few friends mentioned Power Acoustik.
760 rms at 4 ohms bridged
How would i set my gain in order to get right around the 675-700 watt mark, or should i just run the full 760 to the subs?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_8847_Power+Acoustik+PS2-1800.html

There's really no set mark that you should have the gain on. There are alot of different variables involved. Just start with the gain at the minimal setting and increase it until you think the subs sound good to you.

You have adjust it properly but don't turn it up so far that you start clipping, which is a bad thing for your speakers if you turn the gain up too far and they can't handle that much power....

Back