• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

aluminum UIM for oval port 3l?

i was hoping for...... what year engines and what models had these intake manis, lol. junkyards is kinda an obvious one :)

That is what he was asking about at this point even though the discussion started on the oval port ones.

I think there was still some confusion. Some of the newer guys might not know. The UIM's look very similar, one being plastic and one aluminum. Just wanted to clarify since there were a few people not catching on. :)

Mark

i saw 3 different types, aluminum split- which each has its own runners for the spilt ports. Aluminum oval-looks like the black ones but is metal. Black plastic oval- we know what they look like.

I think there was still some confusion. Some of the newer guys might not know. The UIM's look very similar, one being plastic and one aluminum. Just wanted to clarify since there were a few people not catching on. :)

Mark

No problem. Further clarification never hurts in most of these discuccions.

I still haven't figured out the problem with boosting the plastic 3L intake manifolds. Or is it not a problem to throw 12psi through them? I just need to figure out if I need to go with the st220's or if I will be fine with high boost on the plastic 3L intake manifolds. Is the problem with heat disapation?

I still haven't figured out the problem with boosting the plastic 3L intake manifolds. Or is it not a problem to throw 12psi through them? I just need to figure out if I need to go with the st220's or if I will be fine with high boost on the plastic 3L intake manifolds. Is the problem with heat disapation?

my guess is that Al just looks better :)

Is that really it? I thought I read back in the day about why not to use the plastic intakes with boost. If it really doesn't matter, then sweeeet!
I think it depends on how high your boost pressure is and if the o-ring seals on the plastic manifold can seal at that pressure. I've seen pictures of the Noble 3.0L engine which uses the stock plastic manifold and they run ~12psi boost pressure.

Well, there are a couple reasons for the Al over the plastic.

First the ST220 flows at least a little better than the best plastic oval manifold, especially at the high rpms. Second is the looks; the Al looks cooler for sure, and last is that it is less likely to leak boost under hard operating conditions. The plastic stuff is pretty solid, but at higher temps, there is some concern that it may allow boost leaks. I don't know if anyone has ever actually had an issue with it, but it doesn't hurt to to use the aluminum, well, except its a few pounds heavier.

btw, the ST220 manifold has no EGR provision for those of you that were wondering.

i saw 3 different types, aluminum split- which each has its own runners for the spilt ports. Aluminum oval-looks like the black ones but is metal. Black plastic oval- we know what they look like.

I'm not going to say you're wrong about the aluminum split ports, but no they do not have individual runners. They do have 6 runners, where the primary and secondary ports for each cylinder have a shared runner.

Nobles use the plastic ones, that should clear up any questions about running decent boost with them

Now, to look good..... that's another story.
Here's my split-port 3L UIM.

IMGP2539.jpg

IMGP2566.jpg

IMGP2628.jpg

[/whore] :D

Last edited:
Back