• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

torsen spec 2 clutch noise?

"So in reality we can't compare unless we got some statistical data and just started counting the number sold to the number of reported failures.
I'm sure that in quantity the OEM SVT clutch will win out because of the higher number installed and tight production quality.
When you got to buy a heavier clutch though, you can't use the SVT clutch. It won't hold nitrous nor will it hold up to 300 ft-lbs of torque.
At that point you just have to pick your poison and do the best job you can installing it."

So with that being said it may not be the best advice to tell those with light-moderate mods to get a Spec. For those that are in the range of say 200-270 crank horsepower the stock SVT clutch sounds like it may be a better option.

So with that being said it may not be the best advice to tell those with light-moderate mods to get a Spec. For those that are in the range of say 200-270 crank horsepower the stock SVT clutch sounds like it may be a better option.

That's pretty much been the concensus around here for a long time. Stick w/ the stock SVT clutch until you have enough power to need a more aggressive clutch.

That's pretty much been the concensus around here for a long time. Stick w/ the stock SVT clutch until you have enough power to need a more aggressive clutch.

Thats sounds like a good consensus. Hopefully those who are active and giving advice in the transmission section will be telling people that in the future!

Good post warmonger, but I'm not sure on the nitrous part. Unless you're spraying off the line, won't the clutch be fully engaged and moving when the nitrous kicks? In other words, it doesn't get the brunt of the torque (which, from what I've read, is what wrecks clutches)?

Well I didn't provide enough detail.

True if you don't spray off the line the clutch is already engaged, but when you shift 1-2 and so on, the simple nitrous kits will engage right as you punch the throttle, meaning as you engage the clutch. Then it gets hot and slips.
So I should qualify it that by saying with My 75 shot I ran, after the clutch got hot it would slip in 3rd and 4th just under the load of the engine, not just from engagement. I stopped before I destroyed it though.

If you are sparing about it then yes the SVTclutch on a 2.5L with nitrous 75 shot and below ought to last a whilel.

Thanks Tom. Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a jerk, I was actually wondering, as my system is set up to spray between 3400 and 6400 only, so I'm wondering if it's going to ruin the clutch immediately...

Wow this thread went off the path huh!

I just wanted to post my vid of the SPEC stage 2 clutch noise!

Enjoy.

Good God, my stage 2 sounds nothing like that at all. In fact, mine makes no noise inless its really cold out.

Sounds very close to my kevlar clutch. Will only do that in reverse though or leaving from a stop sometimes.

Is that like a slighty grinding sound but from the clutch, not the gear box? Mine makes kind of a loud friction noise on the first one or two times i let it out after the car has been sitting a while(atleast 3 hours). After that though it never makes any noise besides a little noise that goes away when you push the clutch in.

Back