• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Svt #1256

i cant wait to see your car when its finished!!! (you can see my seriousness by the three exclamation points)

i cant wait to see your car when its finished!!! (you can see my seriousness by the three exclamation points)

Yeah, me too. It doesn't seem that my dad is to willing to help me change the paint. I asked again when I was home and I honestly think I would have had a better response telling him I was dating James.

Changing from Black to a white-ish color is alot of work. Then using a 3 stage paint with pearl in it is even harder. Maybe I should start offering more cash to him?

Anyone want to start a "Help Mike convince his dad to help spray a color change on his SVT" fund? Maybe a dollar or two to a paypal acct, offshore of course, and in return get lots of cool desktop wallpapers. I know I like the sound of that already. :crazy:

I would have had a better response telling him I was dating James.

nice :cool:

Anyone want to start a "Help Mike convince his dad to help spray a color change on his SVT" fund? Maybe a dollar or two to a paypal acct, offshore of course, and in return get lots of cool desktop wallpapers. I know I like the sound of that already. :crazy:

i'm down

Of course, James is a very nice guy...just saying it wouldn't fly. No offense James. I'll always treasure our pizza together. :help: :laugh: hahaha, I'm gonna die for that

So anyway, how can I convince my dad to help me change the paint? It would be like the last paint job. I did all of the prep work, he redid the parts that were beyond my skill level and he sprayed.

Which the spraying is where it's causing him the problem. The color I want is a Lexus 3 stage pearl. Very labor intensive to paint. The base coat goes down, then however many layers of pearl to get it right (which can a handfull) then several layers of clear. Oh, and the flash time in between each layer. And all the trimming that needs to be done. I can see it easily taking 2 days worth of paint time.

Maybe, if I took a junk hood to a lexus body shop, and get them to spray it in the color I want and then show him what it would look like.

Or do I need to cave, since alot of this is free to me, and go with what he says and paint it back the way it was.

For what its worth, few are the times where a non-original paint color does not hurt a car's value. Not that our cars are worth the moon at this point, but if you ever decide to get out of it, you'll most likely be better off with the original color. I understand the allure of doing something different that has great personal appeal, but you may find, after some careful reflecting, that the much cheaper paint job, and thus the more fiscally responsible move, may be the one that brings you the most joy, particularly over the long term.

Oh Em Gee Boss, you son of a beech! i was planning on paintin the ole dirty white next summer! i hate you!
thinkin.gif
Okay fine, I'll let you do it if you sale me those superlegerras!
hifinger.gif

Instead of a total color change (if you go white) my second choice has always been a flat / matte black (M'mmm!) FTMFW!

Last edited:
For what its worth, few are the times where a non-original paint color does not hurt a car's value. Not that our cars are worth the moon at this point, but if you ever decide to get out of it, you'll most likely be better off with the original color. I understand the allure of doing something different that has great personal appeal, but you may find, after some careful reflecting, that the much cheaper paint job, and thus the more fiscally responsible move, may be the one that brings you the most joy, particularly over the long term.

Guess it depends on the quality for me. I'd buy one non stock if it were done right. Not too many are though.

With all the labor being put into it, and Mike's passion for the SVT.. its VERY doubtful that he will ever "decide to get out of it"... I have a feeling it will be buried with him. Just so that no one can ever enjoy it but him... :laugh:

All kidding aside though, Anastasia is right that I'm not going to give up the car. It is originally black but the current black is a Land Rover color. So technically, it's not original anymore. And what kind of value does a salvaged car bring anyway? Nothing.

All in all, I'm keeping it no matter what.

Its been 5 years and still it sits wrecked. Work resumes in 2 weeks.

I believe I'll stick with doing a 3.0 swap, NPG LIM and fuel rail mod to make it easier. I probably won't change the paint color on this one afterall. But instead paint the 98 SVT I have the pearl white. The main reason is that I need something more economical than my truck soon.

Back