• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

NPG Fenderwell Cold Air Intake pictures and review

Lol. Yeah thats a negative of the spray...hell even K&N's own cleaning kit is a bad idea and can cause MAF issues due to the oil. Is your car the wicked black SVT with the Mirko and eyelids and the one everybody looks up to? Cause if it is....you inspired this LOVE of my CSVT!!!

You shouldn't have problems with air cleaner oil in the MAF unless your grossly over-oiling the filter. If you oil the filter correctly, you won't have MAF problems.

You shouldn't have problems with air cleaner oil in the MAF unless your grossly over-oiling the filter. If you oil the filter correctly, you won't have MAF problems.

Could be....but I have never used it on my filters....I am too cheap. lol I always brake clean my filters and blow them dry with compressed air and run the bag off my stuff some more! lol

http://www.autoanything.com/air-intakes/65A3167A0A0.aspx

http://www.amazon.com/AEM-20-403S-Air-Bypass-Valve/dp/B000CFQF5W

Need something like this for the water. I wish I could tell you of anyone that has used them, but I can't. But those may be an option. I'll look more into it, but if they're selling, they must work or something.

Yeah I remember reading about those. Since its my daily driver...maybe I will go ahead and add one of these for peace of mind...but I dont understand how the hell they work??? lol And I dont really want the sound it makes to change...I love the way this thing sounds...but I dont wanna hydrolock a 30,000 mile 3.0 either.

The way it works, I assume, is if the filter becomes submerged in water, the end filter that is, the force generated trying to suck that water in is being reverted to the bypass valve, which is supposed to be installed further up the pipe.

one would think so but many do not have them anymore. Also most post 98 non-svt cars never had one anyway.

I would still have one if it hadn't of came loose going down the interstate and ripped off by my tire...lol. That was 6 years ago and never replaced it. Anyway I want one of these for my car. I have one of those crappy short air filters. I can tell a huge difference when my car is cold vs warmed up so I am sure my IAT temp is way up. I think until I can afford one of these npg cai I will go back to stock.

I also seen this on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I didn't know whether to laugh or buy it for ••••s n giggles.

http://www.autoanything.com/air-intakes/65A3167A0A0.aspx

http://www.amazon.com/AEM-20-403S-Air-Bypass-Valve/dp/B000CFQF5W

Need something like this for the water. I wish I could tell you of anyone that has used them, but I can't. But those may be an option. I'll look more into it, but if they're selling, they must work or something.

Yeah I remember reading about those. Since its my daily driver...maybe I will go ahead and add one of these for peace of mind...but I dont understand how the hell they work??? lol And I dont really want the sound it makes to change...I love the way this thing sounds...but I dont wanna hydrolock a 30,000 mile 3.0 either.

I'm not sure about your setup or clearance, but from my 3'' filter all the way up to the IAT, I have damn near no room for a bypass valve. And besides, the filter would have to get fully submerged for the motor to hydrolock, and if that does happen and you somehow push the front end completely under water, I think you deserve to get a hydrolock'd motor...just sayin'

Overall, I just avoid big puddles and potholes like it's second nature anyways. Can't afford a bent rim either. And i've driven in some serious monsoon status rain with the CAI and have had no problems.

Last edited:
Driving without the splash guard is a really bad idea. I wouldn't risk it anyway. When i installed mine it made a massive difference after romping around alot vs stock air box. The only down side to the CAI setup is unless you roll your inner fender you will scratch the piss out of your NPG tube. I just went to AutoZone and picked up some of that "door ding" protector and laced my fender with that to prevent scratches. I have my SVT as my DD and have driven in relentless rain storms and have never had a problem. When i first put on my CAI though, i was really scared to drive in the rain but now I have no problem hitting puddles and not worrying about it. I never looked at my IAT before and after but i am sure i makes a difference. Later on sometime i am going to relocate my IAT to further down into the CAI tube so it will have NO heat soak while doing stop and go or little runs. Anyone think that would make a difference or would it be more pain then gain?

And does the stock accordion tube "choke" the air before it enters the motor? I am not sure if the accordion part of it slows the air down or does close to nothing?

So if I get a CAI because you guys talk me into it and I get a hydro-locked motor from normal driving in rain who is buying me a new 3L? haha honestly I have always been skeptical about CAI's because of stories I've heard with water but maybe they are not so bad. I might be looking into one in the future...

So if I get a CAI because you guys talk me into it and I get a hydro-locked motor from normal driving in rain who is buying me a new 3L? haha honestly I have always been skeptical about CAI's because of stories I've heard with water but maybe they are not so bad. I might be looking into one in the future...

I would ask Joey how many of these intakes he has sold, I would say around 75 of them but thats a random guess. I think it is safe to say that no one has hydrolocked their motor from having one of these. Even with the lower splash guard off I dont think you would hydrolock your motor, sure the filter will get wet and its not a good idea at all but like mentioned you would need to submerge the filter in a puddle or something to really do some damage.

I love the look of this cai. Looks like it is an excellent upgrade. Is that 3 1/2" pipe? Time to hit the bender, I'll try it out of aluminized or stainless steel. The hardest part I have been having to find is the connectors in the 31/2".

I'm not sure about your setup or clearance, but from my 3'' filter all the way up to the IAT, I have damn near no room for a bypass valve. And besides, the filter would have to get fully submerged for the motor to hydrolock, and if that does happen and you somehow push the front end completely under water, I think you deserve to get a hydrolock'd motor...just sayin'

Overall, I just avoid big puddles and potholes like it's second nature anyways. Can't afford a bent rim either. And i've driven in some serious monsoon status rain with the CAI and have had no problems.

Yeah thats the problem I see is nowhere to put the bypass valve....plus its ugly and I dont wanna run one. lol Yeah I agree with you 100%....if your driving you CSVT through water that deep...your an idiot and deserve a hydrolocked motor. And I have 17" rims and still drive around potholes and such.

I will be really curious when you guys start posting some IAT temps. You are all gonna •••• a chicken when you get this CAI and notice and feel the difference. lol

And as for moving the IAT sensor...no need....thanks to the ACTUALLY cold air rushing through the tube....the temp of you IAT sensor is dead nuts witht the outside temp at all times! Trust me I have been playing with my dads Snap On Solus scanner and my SCT tuner alot lately. And like I said...at WOT the temps even dip below outside air temps by a couple degrees. It really is one of the BEST upgrades I have done to my car (besides the NPG CNC'ed lower intake and escape fuel rail).

I love the look of this cai. Looks like it is an excellent upgrade. Is that 3 1/2" pipe? Time to hit the bender, I'll try it out of aluminized or stainless steel. The hardest part I have been having to find is the connectors in the 31/2".

It's 3'' piping. Although you may be able to fab up something with a 3 1/2''. In measurement terms vs a 3''...it's only 1/4'' extra one each "side"

I would ask Joey how many of these intakes he has sold, I would say around 75 of them but thats a random guess. I think it is safe to say that no one has hydrolocked their motor from having one of these. Even with the lower splash guard off I dont think you would hydrolock your motor, sure the filter will get wet and its not a good idea at all but like mentioned you would need to submerge the filter in a puddle or something to really do some damage.

I know for certain that one person has hydrolocked their motor with the NPG CAI (possibly two) but I don't remember the CEG member names. The one person I am certain of was out at some meet and a big rain storm hit. The owner was unwilling to wait for a big puddle crossing a road to drain away and took the risk of driving through it. The puddle was something like > 1 foot deep so you just know that is playing with fire right there. I think the second lock-up happened in a similar manner, i.e., driver stupidity.

Well the 31/2" spec I was talking about is on the one end of the maf. Between the throttle and the maf. I have a fabricated replacement it is in one of my threads somewhere. Just can't seem to find a coupler for it.

051311202235.jpg

I can get that cai tube bent in aluminized way lighter. Then powder coat it.

My question is, with me running as low as I am, well, either way shouldn't matter, and without running any fender wells or the bottom tray on the bumper, will that not even be a big risk when it rains outside from the kick up of the tire?

I dont have the front tray...didnt know their was one for my car?? I have fender liners and thats it. But yeah Mikey your car is REALLY low...I would be a tad worried.

So far so good in the rain....and I am still so happy with this upgrade....dont care what the haterz say. She is slick and quick now. I am still dreaming of a turbo setup though....(sigh).

I'm debating on doing this but with a shield on the bottom side since I have no fender liners. I can tell my IATs are RIDICULOUS right now during the afternoon drives.

Back