• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I'm not sure how to approach this.

Pen_Two

Is not easliy amused.
So I need to spend a good chunk of change to get my car inspected (finally, right?).

I've priced the various things I need to change out as of now just to make it legal with standard OE parts. So far I have...

Wheel Bearings: $86/unit OE, or $139/unit
Tie Rod Kit (complete): $160 OE, or $230 HD

Now that part I'm stuck at...

Would you, being in my financial/employment situation, spend extra for the better parts or just settle for an OE replacement and hope it works?

What's wrong with standard parts? They are what was meant for your vehicle when it was manufactured, right?
Go with the cheapest possible fix. The likelihood of you keeping this vehicle for more than 3 years is pretty slim, given your past history.
It's doubtful those parts will fail anytime soon.

Speaking for myself, since I install stuff myself, I use the money I saved on the install to buy upgraded parts. But for many things, I just stick with OE parts.

Go with OE. You really need to get that thing inspected and soon!

I just hit another snag too. I need a new NSS for it since the stocker is broken. I can't find a rebuild kit and there's no junkyards around that have one. :mad:

Add another $150+ to that.

Neutral safety switch. ;)

How did you make out at Harry's today? Find one?

Go me!

I haven't seen these bad boys for the entire time I owned it!

P1010081.jpg

Finally. Soon you just might be all legal and be able to get it inspected. ;)

My mother and sister asked me why I don't just take it to the "lick it and stick it" place in the next town over. My answer was, "Because this way I actually fix it instead of putting it off for longer."

So after the wheel bearings, tie-rods, alignment and "muffler" it'll get inspected.

Oh I'm a good 5 hours away from you. Probably cheaper to fix it than to spend the money on the gas. :laugh:

If anyone doesn't know what the NSS looks like on the XJ, here you go.

That single tab that sticks out shouldn't be the only one. There should be 4, hence it being broken.
P1010080.jpg

But WILL he :shrug: , is the real question ;)

He will. :D

My mother and sister asked me why I don't just take it to the "lick it and stick it" place in the next town over. My answer was, "Because this way I actually fix it instead of putting it off for longer."

So after the wheel bearings, tie-rods, alignment and "muffler" it'll get inspected.

Good idea fixing things first. :)

Back