• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

NPG Fenderwell Cold Air Intake pictures and review

79mustang351w

Hard-core CEG'er
Well I have heard alot of back and forth on this setup....but whatever....I knew my 120-135 degree IAT sensors temperature readings were NOT GOOD (intake air temperature for those who dont know the short term). I was seeing these hot temps.....now I see exact outside temps....thats a drop of 30+ degrees most of the time...I can only imagine how stout this car will feel in the Fall and Winter air!

So I bought the NPG Fenderwell Cold Air Intake setup....and WHALLA....problem solved. The car picks up after each gear and runs HARD!! This tuned (by NPG) 3.0L is one fun little daily driver...and this CAI was worth every penny. So stop thinking those short ram junkers are the way to go people...the stock units ran into the fenderwell for a reason...to pick up outside the engine bay COLD air! My cars IAT's are right with the outside air temps now (and the IAT's even dip below outside air temps when at wide open throttle).

If you car seems to lay over coming off the 2nd gear shift....its because your car is running lean because the IAT sensor is getting HOT engine bay air! Those short rams are junk IMO...maybe they perform ok shrouded...IDK on that subject cause I didnt try it. But for now I am happy as hell. One recommendation that I would say is....buy a K&N prefilter for the filter to keep water out.

Thats the only thing I havent tested yet is the running conditions in the rain....but we will have to wait to see on that....so I will let you know as this is my daily driver....hence the engine bay looking like crap again (its on my to do list to clean it back up. lol) And YES I will get nice matching Silicone couplers and hoses when I get a chance.

Let me know what you guys think. And now PICS!!!

NPGCAI5.jpg

NPGCAI2.jpg

NPGCAI.jpg

And your welcome Joey....I am sure this will bump sales!! lol

I agree I just read my IAT's from the data log with my short ram and I'm around 130* on a 95* day it is crazy! I was considering buying this same setup but I am concerned with introducing water to combustion chamber on my daily driver. Please update when you drive in rain and everything is still ok. Also, verify if the pre-filter is wet to see if it will actually prevent water from entering the intake. For now I am looking for a Pud shield but until one pops up I am going to a JY to get a stock airbox and compare the IAT and the MAF #/min to see if it drops temps and still flows. You are definitally right denser air is better! Rain aside (until proven otherwise) this is one of the best setups offered

if you have the splash shield/air dam in place under the front bumper, so many do not have it, I wouldn't think that water would be an issue. well unless you drive through a puddle.

I did some data logging a few summers ago. I ran the KKM on my SVT with and without the Pud heatshield. Taking off from stops the air temp spiked without the filter. It was alot better with the heat shield.

I cant remember the exact name of the engine but it completely contradicts those things. It uses very hot, compressed air/fuel as opposed to "cool and dense" charges to produce a more complete and powerful burn in the engine. Hot Vapor Engine I think is the name. It uses the hot air to completely atomize all the parts of fuel since normal N/A engines only atomize a smaller percentage of liquid fuel thus causing some drops (on a microscopic level) to never fully atomize or vaporize and therefore not having a complete combustion of the fuel.

I can say that I did notice a difference in performance when I went from the short ram to the cold air intake. I have also driven my car in the rain and snow storm and never had a problem, you would be silly to not have the splash guards on tho.

It's nice to see another NPG intake. :)

DSC00776.jpg

DSC00763.jpg

As for rain; I've driven mine in some HARD ASS rain and haven't had/seen any problems. It pulls just as hard and sounds just the same. Also, did you just recently purchase your intake? I don't know if its the angle of the picture, but your bend looks to be a bit different from mine. (I have the revised piping)

It's nice to see another NPG intake. :)

As for rain; I've driven mine in some HARD ASS rain and haven't had/seen any problems. It pulls just as hard and sounds just the same. Also, did you just recently purchase your intake? I don't know if its the angle of the picture, but your bend looks to be a bit different from mine. (I have the revised piping)

I also have the revised piping from NPG. My car also has a Cosmo Racing short ram setup on it (hence why the couplers dont match yet) and I had to cut the NPG tube down some in the engine bay to get it to fit up with the short ram setup (because as you can see by photo comparison of mine and yours....the Cosmo short ram is longer than the stock rubber tube setup).

I didnt put the splash guards back in for those pictures...they are on the car now though...those were just taken before I buttoned things back up. So far so good....I love it....the car has never ran this RIGHT and pulled this hard! Gotta send Joey another datalog and finalize the tune...and then I will work on making things look pretty again on my car. It need TLC in the look department. haha

one would think so but many do not have them anymore. Also most post 98 non-svt cars never had one anyway.

my 98.5 had one. It's sitting in my parents garage and is obnoxiously different than the SVT one, which I lost driving, probably in the snow.

Make sure you tighten the •••• out of those T bolt clamps...that stainless steel piping is heavy. You don't want it to fall off while driving....

I wish they were made in aluminum.

I wouldn't trust any pre-filter thing. U ABSOLUTELY DO NOT WANT WATER NEAR UR FILTER!!! U need to do sumthn about the length of ur piping OP. Ur filter is too close to the ground. Like the other person who posted a photo of his, its supposed to sit higher up in the bumper. That reduces the chances of water getting to it by a lot, even without the bottom splash guard that runs the front breadth of the car.

The tubing is the same as his....its just that mine is sitting more straight down until I make some aluminum brackets to hold everything in tight. And my foglights are out until I find some nicer ones...so that helps too. And the prefilter just goes over the filter...I had one on my truck and all my race quads K&N filters....so I know they work....not sure why your so skeptical about a pre filter?? (not trying to start an arguement...just wondering man)

It sounds a little more wicked IMO...you can tell its breathing good now....I am SOOOOO happy with it now. This is how I was expecting the 3.0L to feel all along. And I dont have headers or a good exhaust yet...am still kicking around at the turbo idea...but for a daily driver I may just stick NA since I already spent the money on this setup.

The tubing is the same as his....its just that mine is sitting more straight down until I make some aluminum brackets to hold everything in tight. And my foglights are out until I find some nicer ones...so that helps too. And the prefilter just goes over the filter...I had one on my truck and all my race quads K&N filters....so I know they work....not sure why your so skeptical about a pre filter?? (not trying to start an arguement...just wondering man)

It sounds a little more wicked IMO...you can tell its breathing good now....I am SOOOOO happy with it now. This is how I was expecting the 3.0L to feel all along. And I dont have headers or a good exhaust yet...am still kicking around at the turbo idea...but for a daily driver I may just stick NA since I already spent the money on this setup.

My mistake then. I assumed it was some sort of a liquid that u spray on the filter that keeps water out. Carry on...:)

Its really impressing me guys. Take your 135-150 degrees IAT temps and knock off over 45-60 degrees of temp in the air coming into the motor and you can really feel the difference....not only in the way it puts you into the seat....but just the crispness of throttle after shifts....it really is night and day compared to the short ram.

Its not like this is new to anybody...but why havent I seen this setup on more cars? Yes you gotta cut your car some....but who cares....STOCK SUCKS anyhow! lol

I dont want it to rain this weekend....but maybe next week I can test this setup out in the rain.....if and when it rains. I will keep you all posted.

My mistake then. I assumed it was some sort of a liquid that u spray on the filter that keeps water out. Carry on...:)

Lol. Yeah thats a negative of the spray...hell even K&N's own cleaning kit is a bad idea and can cause MAF issues due to the oil. Is your car the wicked black SVT with the Mirko and eyelids and the one everybody looks up to? Cause if it is....you inspired this LOVE of my CSVT!!!

Lol. Yeah thats a negative of the spray...hell even K&N's own cleaning kit is a bad idea and can cause MAF issues due to the oil. Is your car the wicked black SVT with the Mirko and eyelids and the one everybody looks up to? Cause if it is....you inspired this LOVE of my CSVT!!!

As much as i'd like to take all that credit, no it isn't mine:D. I think that's outlaw'd. Mine's the silver one with the mirko & morettes headlights:)

Back