• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Lightly Modded Probe Gt vs. Stock SVT

mattsBLK99cSVT

Hard-core CEG'er
My friend talked to some random dude and the dude says his probe was way faster than his contour svt. He said he ran a 14.7 in the probe with just an intake and exhaust. And he ran a 15.7 in his stock svt. I believe svt's will whoop probes all day and svt focus's

My friend talked to some random dude and the dude says his probe was way faster than his contour svt. He said he ran a 14.7 in the probe with just an intake and exhaust. And he ran a 15.7 in his stock svt. I believe svt's will whoop probes all day and svt focus's

*sigh*

Headers and an intake do make sizable differences on the Mazda 2.5L plus the Probe GT has a better power to weight ratio. a 14.7 in a probe is a possible number. But really, right from the factory they were running 15.7's It would take more than an intake and an exhaust to shave a full second off a 1/4 mile, he would have to gain 30-40 more horses at the wheels just from those mods, which isnt possible.

As for Focus SVT compared to Contour SVT, yes a stock contour SVT would walk all over a contour SVT on the drag strip... However, if we are talking about a circut, I would put my money on the focus SVT

...Further more, who cares? the contour SVT was designed to excel in cornering, not straight lines, it was the same with the focus SVT.

ok i've driven the focus svt (my roomate has one), and there is no way that car would beat ours on a road circuit. The svt focus' dotn handle well at all. My roomates SVt Focus had exhaust, intake, and chip, and i still pull on him

SVTC > SVTF

..Further more, who cares? the contour SVT was designed to excel in cornering, not straight lines, it was the same with the focus SVT.
Dunno about you, but my '95 PGT was the best handling car I've ever owned. Can't say the SVT would beat it in autocross either.

As for PGT vs SVT speed, I'd put my bets on the better driver more than the better car.

Dunno about you, but my '95 PGT was the best handling car I've ever owned. Can't say the SVT would beat it in autocross either.

As for PGT vs SVT speed, I'd put my bets on the better driver more than the better car.

I never said the PGT was a bad handling car, its on the same terms as the contour SVT or focus SVT in handling, it was designed to be a sports coupe, if it doesnt handle well, I would be concerned.

I never said the PGT was a bad handling car, its on the same terms as the contour SVT or focus SVT in handling, it was designed to be a sports coupe, if it doesnt handle well, I would be concerned.

i wasnt comparing the PGT to the CSVT, cause i've only ridden in one for a few minutes, i was saying the CSVT > FSVT in the twisties and straigtht line

i wasnt comparing the PGT to the CSVT, cause i've only ridden in one for a few minutes, i was saying the CSVT > FSVT in the twisties and straigtht line

there is no way a SVTC will outcorner the SVTF. I have driven a bone stock svt, and a bone stock zx3 focus, and hate to say that the focus would spank the svtc in the corners! If it had more power to keep up on the straights, it would be a far better road course car!

As far as the probe gt, i had a buddy who had one when I was in high school, and for its day, it was an awesome little car, but by todays standards, it would get owned. And I know the SVTC will own it all day long! Heck, even the SVTF would own it!

Last edited:
I've owned both cars. I actually owned 2 Probe GT's, an '89 w/ 2.2L turbo and a '96 w/ 2.5L. In terms of quickness, I would say '89 PGT>CSVT>'96 PGT. I wish I never got rid of my '89:blackeye:

boys i have autocrossed against both old body turbo PGT and new body PGT as well as 3dr focus and i spanked them all with an SE. ive raced new PGTs and never had a problem destroying them. again im driving an SE v6 ya i have a 5-speed which helps but ive not found a probe that has proved a threat to me. now the new focus SVT around corners has given me a little trouble but nothing an CSVT couldnt spank.

boys i have autocrossed against both old body turbo PGT and new body PGT as well as 3dr focus and i spanked them all with an SE. ive raced new PGTs and never had a problem destroying them. again im driving an SE v6 ya i have a 5-speed which helps but ive not found a probe that has proved a threat to me. now the new focus SVT around corners has given me a little trouble but nothing an CSVT couldnt spank.

must be the drivers then! I'd glady step into a svtf and show you what it can do better then the CSVT!

must be the drivers then! I'd glady step into a svtf and show you what it can do better then the CSVT!

I have to agree, a good friend of mine bought a focus sport over here, & he was shocked how well it handled. His Mondy was lowered & on Konis with a bat bar etc. He reckoned that the focus was far more nimbler. Having driven various /foci, I'd have to agree, they are much better balanced with no heavy v6 lump out front & can be made 4 wheel drift beautifully with a touch of oversteer. I think drivers and different tyres will result in different opinions but thats been my experience of both cars.

I have to agree, a good friend of mine bought a focus sport over here, & he was shocked how well it handled. His Mondy was lowered & on Konis with a bat bar etc. He reckoned that the focus was far more nimbler. Having driven various /foci, I'd have to agree, they are much better balanced with no heavy v6 lump out front & can be made 4 wheel drift beautifully with a touch of oversteer. I think drivers and different tyres will result in different opinions but thats been my experience of both cars.

Your Focus is very different than our Focus. Your Focus uses the same platform as the Volvo S40.

The US did get another version of that platform though, in the Mazda 3.

Back to the original question. In stock form the Contour SVT had a slight edge over the Probe V6. If the Probe is lightly modified it would come down to a driver's race. Now the earlier 4 cylinder Probe GT with a factory turbo, that's another question. The original Probe GT was faster than it's better looking V6 replacement. I think the Contour SVT would have a hard time against it.

I had a 93 Probe GT back in high school. It was alright, more of a Ricer Domestic like the SVTF... Anyway's I'd take my CSVT over a Pube GT. :laugh:

I've owned an 89 probe gt and a 94 probe gt. My brother has a 98 svt and I've driven one other CSVT. In terms of speed I'd say 1st gen pgt > CSVT > 2nd gen pgt. But in handling I'd say CSVT > 2nd gen PGT > 1st gen PGT.
But I have no idea how a modded probe would do since I've never done that.

I've owned an 89 probe gt and a 94 probe gt. My brother has a 98 svt and I've driven one other CSVT. In terms of speed I'd say 1st gen pgt > CSVT > 2nd gen pgt. But in handling I'd say CSVT > 2nd gen PGT > 1st gen PGT.
But I have no idea how a modded probe would do since I've never done that.

I remember reading a while back that sport compact car had a project 97 PGT that they wanted to see what they could get out of the motor out of basic bolt ons, and they were really disappointed in the results. They did a cat back exhaust, MSDS headers, AEM cold air intake, MSD ignition system and only put down an additional like 10 horsepower to the wheels.

needless to say they scrapped the project.

Back