• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Lightly Modded Probe Gt vs. Stock SVT

I've owned both cars. I actually owned 2 Probe GT's, an '89 w/ 2.2L turbo and a '96 w/ 2.5L. In terms of quickness, I would say '89 PGT>CSVT>'96 PGT. I wish I never got rid of my '89:blackeye:

I've owned all of those cars too and I completely agree. I actually owned my 89 at the same time I owned my CSVT. It would destroy the CSVT in a straight line. However, my CSVT is the best handling car I've ever owned.

I've run against may Probes at the track with my SVT...most were running mid to high 15's and I was easily taking them. I had run a consistant 14.9 that day and was not beaten in any of my runs, however, there was one that did pull better times.

Since it was years ago, I can't recall what he had or what he ran...I just know he was giving me hell for getting a better time. :(

Those 1st gen 89 GT turbos are no joke. They have plenty of tourque! 195 ftbls stock! I got raped by one when I first purchased my CSVT. The guy had modded it lightly and it pulled alot harder than I thought it would.

Who would have thought such an ugly car can be so quick LOL. Underdog factor all the way with those it would seem.

I have an 89 Probe GT. Before the turbo went south it was a pretty quick car for a 4 banger. It handled pretty well too, but I don't think that it handles as well as my CSVT. Now if I want to go fast through the twisties or straight on I just take the T/A out for a drive.

I had a 93PGT with the secondaries pinned open, intake, headers, exhaust and high flow cat and I got beat on a highway by a stock appearing CSVT. My PGT was faster than any of the PGTs I ca,e across in my area. A year later traded the PGT for a CSVT and the CSVT felt faster.

To beat a dead horse. I've owned several second gen PGT's (in fact, I still own my show car), and I now own my CSVT. I definetly would put my PGT against my CSVT anyday. They both seem comperable, but my PGT pulls alot harder throughout the entire RPM range. And handeling, I would put my PGT against my CSVT again. Not that my CSVT is bad in anyway, its just slightly worse than my PGT.

Mike

i'd say slightly modded pgt would beat a csvt. i've owned both(actually 8 pgts,3mx6's,1 626, four of the car's were turbo'd) my 197k 93pgt w/just 100 dollar ebay headers and 20 ebay intake and a borla catback ran 14.9. my 89 mx6 gt turbo stock ran 15.1,15 dollar boost controller,open downpipe and 15 psi on the stock peashooter it ran 13.9(it was guted too)
however,the csvt in terms of overall performance,fit/finish(if those two words even belong in the same sentence w/contour) is a better car. hard to believe the pgt won car of the year in 93. i however prefer the mx6

OVERALL... And I think many would agree, as stated many times on this site, CSVT was not built to be a 1/4 car. Not saying a pgt is, however with 4 doors, full leather, etc, it is obvious which car is meant to be more style with some performance, than more performance, less style such as a pgt. I've owned both (96pgt) and if your research probetalk.com you'll find numerous problems with the KL03 motor. I replaced my motor twice before saying screw it and selling the car for a couple K. Head gaskets, heat soak, horrible ATX's, faulty VRIS (sp) systems, the list goes on, however in comparision there is little that the 2.5 duratec is bad for. So yeah a pgt would be great race for a CSVT, but which would you rather have sittin in your garage :idea: :D

Oh yeah and my ATX 96pgt with full exhaust, intake, tb, ported uim, and the IAT mod only ran 16's in the quarter. That should tell you right there how slow those ATX pgt's are :D

Last edited:
blah

blah

first, there is NO WAY a slightly modded 2nd gen pgt will run a 14.7.. thats not possible. i would say anywhere between 15.1 - 15.7, which in my experiences is plenty good enough to beat a csvt.

i currently own and drive both cars regulary.. a stock pgt will beat a stock csvt everytime if driven the same.. i honestly never had a problem with svts in the 1/4 mile mod for mod.. even less moded than a csvt

as far as suspension and handling i personally think the csvt handles liek absolute crap. I actually just put koni's and hr springs on hoping it would make a difference, but the fact is it weighs too much to handle remotely good, those that say its a handling car have never driven anything else.

i have eibachs and tokicos on the probe and it handles great.

but like the last post said, i would rather have a csvt in my garage, ive found them mechanically better, more dependable, more comfortable, and better looking actually :)

This is an old thread, but I'm gonna post anyhow :)

I test drove a probe gt before I bought my previous 4 cylinder probe... It was slow as dirt! I don't know what was wrong with it but the guy had "just replaced the timing belt" and he didn't seem like he knew what he was even talking about :help: Lets just say my 4 cylinder probes have all been faster :laugh:

I don't see a lightly modded PGT beating a SVT for sure but maybe thats just me..

Back