• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

6000K vs 8000K

I'm down for whatever - they are cheap enough if they burn out in a year I won't care about ordering another set or a ballast.

have not heard anything about this before but wouldn't doubt it.

I think a few things would hold true
  • dont get ones that are very blue or pink and therefore draw more attention to yourself
  • make sure the lights are aimed well
honestly I see it like the laws about having a plate on the front of the car. yes you are suppose to have them and alot of people don't. however I have never heard nor have I been stopped because I didn't have a front plate. but lets say someone without a front plate is pulled over for something else its just something else that they can and most likely will ticket for.

i had to laugh alittle about the guy saying he doesn't flash people with poorly aimed hid coverted lights. if some one flashed me I would at least reaim the headlights. I know that happened after I installed my new lights and thought I aimed them well. someone flashed me so I reaimed the lights again and it hasn't been an issue.

Had the new car for a month before I was pulled over for just having no front plate. Ran the talon for 2 years with out one and nothing

Sorry it took so long.

Here are my VVME 6k H.I.D.s

Camera on top of steering wheel to try and give you a driver perspective:
DSCI0011.jpg

It's looks more white than it is. Very slight tint of purpleish/blue. Personally, I think it's perfect. Plus, keep in mind that I have really bad hazed/condensation headlights. No projector. With stock fogs on.(doesn't really do much with these on)

Last edited:
4300K owns all colors...I am still baffled on how many cars I see with their ridiculous blue HIDs thinking they are increasing their light performance when in general they are not and they are causing crazy glare for others.

Ive had both 4300K and 5000K..both Philips brands and they were absolutely amazing..I juuust recently reverted back to 4300K on my G-coupe and boy the difference is clear even from 5000K to 4300K

ALWAYS go 4300K for HIDs..

I hate it when you do that....
What about for those of us that want more light output and be aesthetically pleased also.... 6000K FTMFW!

If your going for the lighting soley I agree with the Goonzer, but I do believe that 85% of HID people are going after the lighting and the looks. I mean really Goonz, who needs to see the road when they look so cool?

Anything above 6000k and you better not try to drive those dark TN. twisties at night

6000k over 8000k or over 4300-4500k?

Depends on your needs and wants I guess. I chose 6000k because of the aesthetic principles, I like the looks. I actually had no problems seeing down the dark backroads of TN with them either. But if you are upgrading for lighting because you need more light output or you just don't like the color blue, then go 4300k.

8000k-10000k in my opinion are purely aesthetic and are used just for color. When I see a car driving around with these bulbs the first thing I notice is how purple the road is and how hard it must be to see in the rain or fog.

There are a lot of people in this world like Goons and Pud who tell you the world will swallow you whole the second you install anything over 4300k, but I say to each there own. I see the road just fine with my 6000k. But I will agree with those posers that I probably would see it better with 4300k....But how many hours a day do we actually drive down a road dark enough to need all that lighting anyway. Before you purchase a set of HIDs, ask yourself "WHY" you're doing it and the set you get will be a little bit easier to choose...

Last edited:
I emailed DDM last night cause I'm getting tired of waiting for the 55w raptor kits, and they told me there was no ETA on the 55w kits.... I also asked if they did group buys but they didn't even bother answering that question.... It says to call, so I don't know if we'd get better answers over the phone then thru e-mail....

E-mail.....

no ETA on 55 W.

If your E-mail is URGENT, please call in. This is the fastest way to get your issue resolved.

(858) 565-1742
DDM Techsupport

"All good things come to he who waits."

reading on the bimmer forum they would much prefer that people call

Annoying.... Last place I called they referred every option to some sort of e-mail address or their website.... I hate that... why can't both forms of communication be done.... argh!

Annoying.... Last place I called they referred every option to some sort of e-mail address or their website.... I hate that... why can't both forms of communication be done.... argh!

I know ... if I purchased via the internet I would expect to communicate via email.

as for my raptor kit I had one not fire the night I installed the ballasts. this morning I believe the same one didn't until i turned the lights off then back on. however I did turn them on last night in the garage next to my svt that I test fit my DDM set into. not sure if that and the colder temp this morning was a reason or not. I think I will swap ballasts with the other side and see what happens.

I did note that the output on the wall was better on the post 98 headlights compaired to the pre98 mystique lights.

I know ... if I purchased via the internet I would expect to communicate via email.

as for my raptor kit I had one not fire the night I installed the ballasts. this morning I believe the same one didn't until i turned the lights off then back on. however I did turn them on last night in the garage next to my svt that I test fit my DDM set into. not sure if that and the colder temp this morning was a reason or not. I think I will swap ballasts with the other side and see what happens.

I did note that the output on the wall was better on the post 98 headlights compaired to the pre98 mystique lights.

I had this problem of one firing and one not with my Philips OEM kit. One would always fire and the other sometimes would...or click rapidly as trying to ignite (which sometimes would but most often would not). So I had to turn off the lights and back on 5-10 times to get the to both fire up. I knew this is not good for the system so all I did was switch the bulbs (put left headlamp bulb in right lamp and vise versa) and problem solved. I'm not sure what it was maybe the bulb was not seated on the connection all the way or what but give it a try. It will only take 5 mins and could solve your prob. Also check all the wires and make sure not of them are pinched or bare.

HTW

well that would be the same thing as swapping the ballasts from left to right and that is what I plan to do if it keeps happening. if not life time warrenty ftw :laugh:

well I think my prob was the bulb wasn't seated correctly on the connections (then again mine are D2S and not 9006 so they work a tad differently) so it wasn't getting enough juice to ignite. Switching the bulbs from side to side had me re-seating the bulbs and checking the wires. So somewhere in that process I fixed the issue.

cliffnotes: double check your connections (unplug and re-plug etc.):laugh:

So I called them today... waited like 2/3 mins... then got the same answer as the e-mail.... like not even a hint of an ETA...... poooo

well the raptor hids are a "new" product and they have only had them for a few months. reading around the bimmerforum again it seems like they want to get them out in the field and get some time on them. so that would make sense why the eta is tbd ...

well the raptor hids are a "new" product and they have only had them for a few months. reading around the bimmerforum again it seems like they want to get them out in the field and get some time on them. so that would make sense why the eta is tbd ...

Buy the 35watts, then they "fail" and see if they'll let you upgrade to the 55wwatts when they come out..... :shrug:

Back