• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

the new sho makes an appearance

I'm an "American Made" kinda guy myself but that doesnt mean I'm gonna spend much extra to buy American unless its also better than other the offerings.

Well, the cars it's aimed at...I'm almost positive it comes in a good bit LESS than them, so you wouldn't be spending extra to buy this American car...you'd be spending less.

Well, the cars it's aimed at...I'm almost positive it comes in a good bit LESS than them, so you wouldn't be spending extra to buy this American car...you'd be spending less.

You're aiming it at those cars in a different class, not Ford.

Oh, ok. I misunderstood you. You meant like shelling out the extra for the SHO versus something like the top model Fusion?

I hear that. And that's where the personal opinion comes in, until a couple years of reviews, test drives, and stuff.
Also, if the car's K's cheaper and AT THE LEAST is of equal quality and value then the your issue isn't really paying the money. It's not having the faith that that Ford would build something of QUALITY and charge you for it.
They build the car to compete in a class, you know that, so if people want to pay less than 20K for a car in the class then they can and have built it, but you get less. If people want more quality and goodies you have to pay. And at LESS $ then the competion, if the postings in the thread are right.
So it boils down to what class you're shopping in, you know. Plus, that's why they offer the base models and such. But then that would be boring!

I thought it was all made in china :shrug: then assembled in america

Yea, I hear you. They got to do what they got to do. That's a whole diff subject. But my opinion is, it's where the money I spend is going mostly, and pride. The same pride that peaople in other countrys have for THERE cars. Some argue Toyota builds vehicles in the US but where's the money go? Japan. Japanees engineering. To improve there cars. Except for jobs of course.

Some argue Toyota builds vehicles in the US but where's the money go? Japan. Japanees engineering. To improve there cars. Except for jobs of course.

Its not really an argument. Toyota USA does a lot of things separately than the parent company, including design, and that money stays right here. If all the money that the US branches made was going back to Japan then you'd think the country would be doing a little better than it is. Thats like saying Ford Europe and Ford Australia send all their money home to the US, which they dont.

But Ford is still Ford. And if they go under, everyone else Ford goes down with it, right. The gov taxes the heck out them just to let them build here. Without that tax they wouldn't be here. And all the PR stuff is just to make you believe they're "American". If Ford Europe has a car that's a hit you can bet the bank some or all of the engineering will benefit us. Hense the Mondeo... Contour story. As well as many others. So yes, I believe that. But OBVIOUSLY they have to keep some money there to keep it going.

Ford is still Ford as long as we're talking about Ford USA. Ford USA going bankrupt wouldnt automatically bankrupt the other branches. Ford Europe and Ford Australia have had a ton of hits and its sad that Ford USA didnt take advantage of the world market car idea before they tried with the Contour.

funny how ford has been equal and even ahead in some cases in terms of quality with toyota and honda for years now.

Why is that funny? There are always models that come out better than the rest of the line. As a whole though Ford is mid-pack behind Toyota and Honda.

Ford is still Ford as long as we're talking about Ford USA. Ford USA going bankrupt wouldnt automatically bankrupt the other branches. Ford Europe and Ford Australia have had a ton of hits and its sad that Ford USA didnt take advantage of the world market car idea before they tried with the Contour.

You're not thinking about this right! FordUS will not go under in the US and only have over seas operations! They'd drop them and FordUSA would be the last one standing, then go under. But I'm not a spokesman of course! Also, haven't they been making Fiestas a lot longer then Contours. They still sell them over seas. And those were the 35 mpg cars Americans didn't want then. Remember? Now that gas is an issue all of a sudden.... Here comes the Fiesta again. So Ford has been doing the whole World car thing longer then the Contour. That was just my example becouse I own one.

You're not thinking about this right! FordUS will not go under in the US and only have over seas operations! They'd drop them and FordUSA would be the last one standing, then go under. But I'm not a spokesman of course! Also, haven't they been making Fiestas a lot longer then Contours. They still sell them over seas. And those were the 35 mpg cars Americans didn't want then. Remember? Now that gas is an issue all of a sudden.... Here comes the Fiesta again. So Ford has been doing the whole World car thing longer then the Contour. That was just my example becouse I own one.

Whats there to think about right? You're Ford USA would have no power to make a decision about closing down the European, Australian or South American divisions. They cant "drop them" because they run themselves regardless of what the USA branch is doing and have for years. You say they "still" sell the Fiesta like its the same car they stopped selling here. Europeans have always had smaller cars that got better mileage that the USA branch didnt bother trying to get because that small car market was shrinking here. The Contour and Focus were world cars that the USA branch planned on having here too while the Fiesta was a car designed by Ford Europe and Mazda for everyone but the US.

The Focus has always been a decent seller even when they brought out a refresh model instead of the new model everyone else got.

For sure. But I'm sure there were/ are people that didn't/dont think it would be good, just like what's going on, becouse its Ford. . I read the consumer report mag and it didn't get good results in its first year.

For sure. But I'm sure there were/ are people that didn't/dont think it would be good, just like what's going on, becouse its Ford. . I read the consumer report mag and it didn't get good results in its first year.

Most Mexican-made cars dont do very well the first couple years. Hell even some of the VW models they've been making for years still arent great.

Whats there to think about right? You're Ford USA would have no power to make a decision about closing down the European, Australian or South American divisions. They cant "drop them" because they run themselves regardless of what the USA branch is doing. You say they "still" sell the Fiesta like its the same car they stopped selling here. Europeans have always had smaller cars that got better mileage that the USA branch didnt bother trying to get because that small car market was shrinking here.

No s**t. "They sell what the people want"... And if the Fiesta can change over the years, sounds like for the better too, then the Taurus can too!! Thank you. Its about faith in the company and pride in your manufacturing. Don't argue just to argue!

No s**t. "They sell what the people want"... And if the Fiesta can change over the years, sounds like for the better too, then the Taurus can too!! Thank you. Its about faith in the company and pride in your manufacturing. Don't argue just to argue!

But Americans dont have faith in the company OR have pride in their manufacturing. Thats a huge issue to overcome even if they are making great cars like the Taurus, Flex and Fusion. Ford is finally starting to make what people want instead of making what they think people should buy just in time for no one to buy them. To get us back on topic the SHO is a good example of a car that people wanted and Ford bringing out a few years late.

Very true. Like "a Ford Taurus can't possibly be worth 35K." And not "Thanks Ford Ford finally making a Taurus that's quality is up, and Ill pay the money." Americans want it cheap, but most of us won't work cheap to make it cheap. We want top dollar to make something we won't pay for. Believe me, I live next to Hershey, PA. $20-30 an hour to watch the conveyer for Kisses. No wonder they send it to Mexico, but profits from Mexican candy sold benefits business for the Hershey Company. Its all business.

Back