• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Stock Internals Adios!

I think that's probably because the engine itself won't be within operating temps yet.

ding ding ding. we have a winner. its about all the metals expanding and being up to temp. not to mention you run in open loop at start up and also a richer a/f mixture. thats exactly why you dont boost on cold

I think that's probably because the engine itself won't be within operating temps yet.

I suppose it is personal preference? I try to wait to get into any boost until the oil temp is over 200 degrees. This is also when the oil pressure is at or close to normal operational pressures. Even before the turbo I would wait until the oil pressure is in the normal range before really driving the car hard.

ding ding ding. we have a winner. its about all the metals expanding and being up to temp. not to mention you run in open loop at start up and also a richer a/f mixture. thats exactly why you dont boost on cold

light boost from mild throttle (say <5psi) isnt a problem. also WOT is open loop anyways, plus rich is safe. I still wait till the coolant temp reaches about 160+ before doing any high RPM WOT pulls but there is nothing in the owners manual of any of our factory turbo cars about not going WOT until the engine is warmed up (My VR4, Dads VW CC, or the family '13 Escape EcoBoost).

striker2 is correct, there is nothing wrong with some boost before it gets to operating temps. Nobody said we were going to race a cold engine, just take it up to 5 lbs or so. New oils are capable of handling it without any problems. Since the OP and I have forged internals we hopefully won't have to worry about the rods and pistons exiting out of the block anymore.

Well, my 1.8T just wont blow up. It's my daily driver and when it blows I am building a new engine anyways. I beat the every living crap out of that car. I let oil pressure build but I see no problem with getting into some boost in cold temps. I have put 50,000 miles on a big turbo setup pushing over 20psi. Driving it through the winter everyday. I probably won't be so hard on it before full warm up if it was forged but its the stock block with 200,000k. I have a remote starter I usually let it run for a couple minutes before in the winter but I have never had any sort of problem in 3+ years.

What about the clutchmaster kevlar disc?....honestly for how little options there are it looks like a good option. I don't totally hate my kevlar disc, I will give it that it does have 'smooth' engagement for being able to withstand the torque. Its just not the best option for a daily. Its my third clutch in the audi and the only one that held the power. I have the wrong pressure plate too since I didnt know it was kevlar being sold as Fibertuff..so I would imagine it would be much nicer and never slip even when cold with the right one.

http://thmotorsports.com/clutch_masters/clutch_masters_fx300_clutch_kit/07137hdtz/i-1925335.aspx

kevlar you just need to be careful when it really cold out and if slipping it. once you get it too hot, its done. but i love my Kevlar stage 3 clutch net engagement is precise and small room for slippage

Anyone have a stage 3 clutch they aren't planning on using? I'm done waiting.

I can get Centerforce or Comp Clutch. if you are interested I can get you a time frame, might even be able to have it drop shipped directly to you.

Oh if only the customer service matched the quality of product....

DSC_0224_zps1a697d30.jpg

DSC_0225_zps69e8b2c5.jpg

DSC_0226_zps8dff4d14.jpg

Springs tucked in nicely. This kit looks to be a bit different from the ones in the group buy a year or two ago. I remember being able to see the springs.
DSC_0227_zps7595ecc2.jpg

Now time to finish this!

Look closer. Yours has a sprung hub, the stage 5 one has a solid hub. Therefore you have a stage 4.

Look closer. Yours has a sprung hub, the stage 5 one has a solid hub. Therefore you have a stage 4.

Correct. On clutchnet website, it's listed as a stage 4. However, it's supposed to be the same as the kit formerly known as stage 3. Somehow it got bumped up to 4.

that looks way better then my kelvar. that the carbon one right? i wish i got that one

No it isn't a carbon spec. It's the same kit that was bought in the last '09 groupbuy. Not sure what material it is...

Looks just like the one I have, except the hub no longer has windows that the springs can be seen in. As I recall its a ceramic friction surface. It grabs hard and there isn't a whole lot of modulation to the engagement point. It will make some noise when cold.

attachment.php

Back