• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Stazi's words of advie for all newbie engine builders

Stazi

Veteran CEG'er
The land of Vegemite and Foster's (Actually Livoni
I have read way too many posts about 3L's that die soon after being installed, so here's some words of advice that I have learned from ripping out, rebuilding, converting and installing a bunch of 3L's, 2.5L's etc., etc.

1) DON'T take the heads off unless you REALLY need too - and no, you don't need to to install the center engine mount - a bench grinder and 30 minutes of your time will get that mount in there - hell even Terry Haines asked me about this technique!
2) DON'T EVER swap cam caps from one motor's heads to another - they are LINE-BORED. Say what you want, but that's a fact. Do as you please - but I warned you...see point #9
3) DON'T EVER install the caps upside down or in any place but from there original position - hence why when I pull the cams out of an engine I lay the caps out on a piece of paper EXACTLY the same way they look/sat on the head, then as soon as the cam is out I install them back onto the head. See point #9
4) ALWAYS use either builders lube or STP oil treatment as an assembly lube when building any bearing - either cam or crank. Slop it on all bearing surfaces.
5) ALWAYS swap the rod bearings on ANY engine you tear down with Clevite 77's - I have YET to use any size other than standard. Only turned cranks need oversize (1 thou or 2 thou bigger)
6) don't turn a crank unless you have too - then think about how much it'll cost you and compare that to a whole new 3L for $350
7) Never pay more than $500 for a 3L and keep the mileage below 30k - there are TONS of them out there so don't settle.
8) Get a post 2000 motor and save yourself the headaches - plus it'll be in better condition than any older motor. Stay away from the 2004's due to a possible issue with those having trapped zircon from the casting process, still sitting in the block. Zircon = sand = BAD!
9) When in doubt undo it it - and reinstall it and do it S.L.O.W. cos once it's in - well, you know how much of a C*#T it is to pull out and fix you F@$K up.
10) Don't waste time on an engine with a knock. Pitch it and get another.
11) Always save your SVT cams, SVT chains, guides and sprockets and use all of those part on the new engine. There are BIG (yet hard to notice) changes in a lot of the 3L timing equipment. Sure some stuff MAY be the same by why risk it - see #9.
12) When you get burned out doing a build stop and take a LONG break. Either start up again tomorrow or go take a shower and chill. Sometimes this helps clear your thoughts - trust me I use this point a lot.
13) NEVER EVER EVER start up an newly built engine for the first time as normal! There is no oil on anything and unless you are clueless the first few seconds of engine engines running time are were the most damage is made. Start the car with your gas pedal PLANTED and the car in neutral. This does two things. Shuts off all fuel from the injectors (designed into the program to prevent idiots from flooding the engine on start-up) and two relieves some of the pumping load from the engine due to the intake restriction being lessened. Crank it for 30seconds! This will pump oil everywhere. Then release the key and restart without touching any of the pedals. It should fire right up.
14) ALWAYS let the car idle for a few minutes and check that the coolant is being taken down - top up as necessary and WATCH the temp gauge like a hawk. If it goes past the middle of the gauge - SHUT IT OFF! See if there is an air bubble in the coolant system by squeezing the 2" thick upper rad hose a few times - this should help burp out the bubble.
15) While you are letting the engine idle up to temp check oil around and especially underneath for any coolant or oil leaks. Shut it off and fix any leaks ASAP.
16) ALWAYS USE A TORQUE WRENCH AND MAKE SURE YOU KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN INCH-POUNDS [inlb] (12 inlb = 1 ftlb), FOOT-POUNDS [ftlb], and Newton-Meters [Nm]!

Last edited:
Good stuff. Also you can pull the plug on the coil pack if you don't like the foot to floor method. Crank it over 3-4 times for about 10 seconds. Reconnect to pack and fire. Don't forget to put the intermediate shaft bracket back on the new block before dropping into car. It sucks putting those 3 bolts on in the car!!!!!! Did this on my 2nd build. Also don't forget to swap over sensors from the 2.5 to the 3L. They differ form year to year and your wiring harness won't plug into them. Each connection is different on ECT, knock, IAT, etc. If they don't fit you are on the wrong connection. And most important. Make sure you have the pulsewheel on correctly (Pudmunkie!)

Good stuff. Also you can pull the plug on the coil pack if you don't like the foot to floor method. Crank it over 3-4 times for about 10 seconds. Reconnect to pack and fire.

Will that method allow fuel into the cylinders? If so, is there any possible side effect from it - like washing lube away from cylinder walls?

No dis on you Todd, I've just read a few posts about it and need clarification - me being an engine swap virgin & all... :eek:

I completely disagree with #5 and #8.

#5 - The stock main (i.e. crank) bearings are a good design and have proven extremely reliable. Now the rod bearings should be changed to Clevite and I've harped that for countless years now.

#8 - Any 2001-2003 engine is the ideal candidate. 2004 engines are the ones suspected of having the Zircon problem. Excluding 2001 engines is silly. 2000 is the b.a.s.t.a.r.d. year for the 3L engine.

Umm who puts lube on a cylinder wall?
I always make sure the cylinder walls have a fine coating of lubricant so the rings don't dry scuff.

For lubricant I use Marvel Mystery oil on the top end and simple 30W else where. Stay away from lubes with moly in them.

So you drop some down the head through the plug hole and then install plugs? I could see on a new engine but why a used 3L?

Pud's pulse wheel is on correctly. When it cranks you can hear air being forced out of the intake. It jumped timing

I completely disagree with #5 and #8.

#5 - The stock main (i.e. crank) bearings are a good design and have proven extremely reliable. Now the rod bearings should be changed to Clevite and I've harped that for countless years now.

#8 - Any 2001-2003 engine is the ideal candidate. 2004 engines are the ones suspected of having the Zircon problem. Excluding 2001 engines is silly. 2000 is the b.a.s.t.a.r.d. year for the 3L engine.
Demon you are right. I meant to say rod, and typed crank. Also post 2000 is correct. I'll fix this.

Thanks.:cool:

I dont want to jump to conclusions early, but it may be the pulse wheel. I have an escape cover and did NOT read enough. I thought all the 3.0 wheels had to be swapped. Turns out the escape cover uses the same keyway as the 2.5 to begin with. I dont remember the wheel having any stampings on it, and it also did not look like all the pictures I have seen so I switched it from its stock position to the other one. It remains to be seen how its on there, and even though jason put it on, and brett was there helping I dont blame anyone but myself.

Jason does point out that when cranking it sounds like its pushing air out of the intake, which could indicate that it jumped timing. I just dont want to believe that you have to leave timing up to fate, and that it can jump at will or stay put. The chains were TIGHT and looked like all the pictures ive seen.

Also, cranking with the coilpack unplugged will still flood the cylinder with fuel, so you might as well pull the plug to the coil and push the gas all the way down to prime the system.

This is great advice stazi, and ive learned everyone of these points on this build, its just too bad that I had to do it the hard way :). I Thank everyone that helped me up to this point, and will continue (I hope) to help after spring zing. I was upset when it wouldnt fire, but ive come to terms with it and will chaulk it up to learning.

Last edited:
Great post Stazi. I just wish you had done it about 3 weeks ago before I did my 3L swap.

Please make this a sticky!!

Pud's pulse wheel is on correctly. When it cranks you can hear air being forced out of the intake. It jumped timing

....If air is blowing back into the intake manifold chances are 1)cam timing was off 2)A piston 'kissed' an open valve and bent it 3)Compression ,when the valves should be closed,is blowing out the intake as the valve(bent) cannot fully close.

I advised cam timing check, ensure ALL cam drive components match the chain type(early wide,later narrow,no mix and match here!)..and then carry out a compression test....as a note #XXX 'tips for engine builders...'after the chains are set...continue to turn the engine over(MANY times!) until they line up again. NEVER assume you have it spot on without rechecking...and I don't care if your bloody arm does feel like it will fall off...DO IT!..LOL,TH

....If air is blowing back into the intake manifold chances are 1)cam timing was off 2)A piston 'kissed' an open valve and bent it 3)Compression ,when the valves should be closed,is blowing out the intake as the valve(bent) cannot fully close.

I advised cam timing check, ensure ALL cam drive components match the chain type(early wide,later narrow,no mix and match here!)..and then carry out a compression test....as a note #XXX 'tips for engine builders...'after the chains are set...continue to turn the engine over(MANY times!) until they line up again. NEVER assume you have it spot on without rechecking...and I don't care if your bloody arm does feel like it will fall off...DO IT!..LOL,TH

You'd have to turn it over 150+ times for the marks to line back up. That would be a bit ridiculous dont you think....

I guess the course of action will be to do a compression test to verify if there is either 1) a bent valve or 2) jumped timing. If neither of those appear to be the case than I should hope its just the pulse wheel switched around.

Oh and for anyone that might be wondering there was NO mix matching of timing components. I purchased all brand new chains, guides, and sprockets all for a 2.5. the only thing I did not buy was tensioners (which has been discussed in other active threads in the 3.0 forum)

Last edited:
Pud were you saying you change the wheel after Jason and I left? The motor was timed right. We compared the diagram in the manual and set it for 2.5. The motor shouldn't have jumped time and was cranked over a few times after it was together. But if it did, valves are surley bent now. We will see in a few months errr weeks :laugh:

Pud were you saying you change the wheel after Jason and I left? The motor was timed right. We compared the diagram in the manual and set it for 2.5. The motor shouldn't have jumped time and was cranked over a few times after it was together. But if it did, valves are surley bent now. We will see in a few months errr weeks :laugh:

No, I didnt change it after you guys left. We compared the diagram, but to me it didnt look nearly the same. I guess im praying that it is the pulse wheel so I dont have to deal with that other junk :p

And it better not be months, I miss driving it already lmao

Back