• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Noble 3.0L Twin Turbo Build

So I guess your AER motor isn't coming with rods and pistons installed? :confused:

What makes you think that? I have those parts in my QA lab at work, i have said that in a previous post. Its comimg fully assembled of course. Going to use MSDS headers and welding turbo flanges on them, figured that would be much easier than moding stock manis. I have read on the flash tuner by npg, but didnt see if there are limitations as far as modifications it can tune and there may not be. Will i be able to use the tuner for my app?

So... wait..

You took pictures of parts in your "QA Lab" and posted them, NOT pictures of ANYTHING having to do with this project?

hahaahahahaha giant leap backwards... right back to the whole "where's the pics??" sentiment all these posters had...

So... wait..

You took pictures of parts in your "QA Lab" and posted them, NOT pictures of ANYTHING having to do with this project?

hahaahahahaha giant leap backwards... right back to the whole "where's the pics??" sentiment all these posters had...

That's what is going in my motor. How does that not have to do with my project? Heads and cams are at the house, pics of those will be this weekend. I will have to do the same head work to the 3L heads when I get the motor.

That's what is going in my motor. How does that not have to do with my project? Heads and cams are at the house, pics of those will be this weekend. I will have to do the same head work to the 3L heads when I get the motor.

This doesnt seem like its going anywere. Why is there valve relieves machined in a Duratec dished piston? Why do you have the rods and pistons but AER doesnt. The point of ordering a "noble" spec motor is they provide all that installed at a great price. I tried buying one years ago, but could never get a hold of them. Your either bsing everyone or your leaving the details out. For $900 I bet there machining and fitting your pistons into a short block. That I could see.

For $900 I bet there machining and fitting your pistons into a short block. That I could see.

Thats what I'm thinking.

You could probably save some money buying the pistons and rods directly from Wiseco and Scat, but I think that defeats the purpose of being an authentic Noble AER motor. Sorta like installing all the SVT components on a non-svt.

So which is it?

The block and installation is $900 or pistons, rods, and installation is $900? I'm thinking the first one.

The 900 I said is for just parts, they are not charging me for labor, install, whatever you feel like calling it. Just parts! Yall understand? Or do I need to break it down for yall some more?

Yall can believe me or not, I dont give a :mad::mad::mad::mad:! I got on here to get advise and all I get is :mad::mad::mad::mad:! Some of yall are helpin me with good info and the others are callin this bs!

The 900 I said is for just parts, they are not charging me for labor, install, whatever you feel like calling it. Just parts! Yall understand? Or do I need to break it down for yall some more?

Yall can believe me or not, I dont give a :mad::mad::mad::mad:! I got on here to get advise and all I get is :mad::mad::mad::mad:! Some of yall are helpin me with good info and the others are callin this bs!

Were all confused because first you said for a built short block and now its just for parts. Are you buying the bare short block from AER or finding one yourself and having AER install everything?

You need to calm done, some people are calling it bs cus some stuff doesnt ad up, you also have to think this is nothing new someone post a TT build every few months and it never happens thats why some people call bs.

People ether love it or they hate it, not everyone is going to love something.

Keep us posted I wish you luck with you build, I like the coug!

Listen, here's the deal. A number of people have come in here all excited over the years, just like you that they WERE going to build a twin turbo contour/cougar, and it was going to be badass. EVERY SINGLE ONE has fizzled out and disappeared, and none has ever been built. There is usually at least one per year, sometimes more. Sometimes they are newbies, and sometimes they are well respected members of the site. And again, EVERY SINGLE ONE has fizzled out and never happened.

Now, if you really can get cheap engines/parts from AER, that is fantastic, and more power to you (no pun intended, ok maybe it was) Didn't a remember you saying you worked there or something anyway? AER does a LOT of regular engine rebuilding, I know they get a lot of OEM service valves from my company for a number of engines.

And finally, on your plans. I really think you need to revisit everything from the ground up before spending too much cash. Recheck everything you think you know about single turbos vs. twin turbos. Really think about what benefits you want out of a twin that you really won't get from a single, and whether the cost benefit is there. (Hint, while a smaller turbo may spool faster, remember that only HALF the exhaust energy goes to each smaller turbo . . .) Further, if quick spool and good low rpm performance are really that important to you, consider raising the CR back up some, and lowering the planned boost pressure. This would give better off boost performance, and spool the turbo(s) more quickly too.

You have to keep in mind here, that a number of the guys giving you advice in this thread are either engineers that design engines and engine parts for thier day job, or people that have built thier own forced induction duratec setup already and gone through all the same stuff you are trying to figure out right now.

Were all confused because first you said for a built short block and now its just for parts. Are you buying the bare short block from AER or finding one yourself and having AER install everything?

I dont see how yall are confused. Anyways, Ill break it down for yall; I work at AER, I get really really good discounts on motors and aftermarket stuff, Im ONLY paying for the cost of parts, in turn, Im getting an Noble spec short block (FULLY ASSEMBLED SHORT BLOCK).

I dont see how yall are confused. Anyways, Ill break it down for yall; I work at AER, I get really really good discounts on motors and aftermarket stuff, Im ONLY paying for the cost of parts, in turn, Im getting an Noble spec short block (FULLY ASSEMBLED SHORT BLOCK).

Then why the HELL areyou asking us about hybrids, 2.5 heads, porting, and all this other bull:censored::censored::censored::censored:? Are you the freaking secretary there? You should know all of this already if you work there. Even if you didnt, its a crate motor built for boost, you don't need to research head options, compression ratios or any of that :censored::censored::censored::censored:.

Isn't a "Noble" short block also called a "Taurus" short block?:shrug:

It might as well be.
You missed the whole...

Forged pistons
Forged rods
Oil squirters
Added oil drain back
HP bearings

Just to mention a few upgraded parts from a stock block.

Stock 3L can support 500ish crank. A Noble can best that by a few hundred if it has the correct cams and power adder. (turbo trim)

You missed the whole...

Forged pistons
Forged rods
Oil squirters
Added oil drain back
HP bearings

Just to mention a few upgraded parts from a stock block.

Stock 3L can support 500ish crank. A Noble can best that by a few hundred if it has the correct cams and power adder. (turbo trim)

Yes, all accurate. But my point is why put all that into a Contour when you can't use it in this platform?

Might as well put a $300 short block in a Contour instead of paying money(even if it is at a discount) to put unusable hp into a Contour.

The stock Noble one isn't great, IMHO, though to be fair, it would do a lot better in the Contour, where it can be mounted in the front. On the Noble, it barely works at all.

As inefficient as it may be, I think even that one is too large to fit on a contour without some serious modification/hacking. Height is the limiting factor. I think the tallest intercooler that can be fitted by looking at Stazi's and the NPG FMIC is about 6-7". You could probably fit the Noble intercooler if you removed the bumper reinforcement, but then half the intercooler is going to be behind the fascia which defeats the whole purpose. I don't know...supposedly, 00SVT-TT has it all figured out.

Might have to get creative and do a setup like this. :laugh: Thats the only way I see a TT kit happening on a Contour.
DSC00873.jpg

As inefficient as it may be, I think even that one is too large to fit on a contour without some serious modification/hacking. Height is the limiting factor. I think the tallest intercooler that can be fitted by looking at Stazi's and the NPG FMIC is about 6-7". You could probably fit the Noble intercooler if you removed the bumper reinforcement, but then half the intercooler is going to be behind the fascia which defeats the whole purpose. I don't know...supposedly, 00SVT-TT has it all figured out.

Might have to get creative and do a setup like this. :laugh: Thats the only way I see a TT kit happening on a Contour.
DSC00873.jpg

that looks like one hot ride!!

Contacting Gerhard at Bell Intercoolers may be the best way to go then. Great cores, high quality welding, and reasonable pricing.

Back