• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Noble 3.0L Twin Turbo Build

00SVT-TT

CEG'er
Ok so Ive got a 2000 Mercury Cougar with the 2.5L SVT motor, cold air, magnaflow exhaust, aft plugs and wires, you know the basic mods. I decided that the N/A 2.5L just doesn't do it for me anymore. In turn, Ive begun work on a 3.0L twin turbo set-up, I know what yall are thinking so just dont say it, I have heard it all! My reasoning for twin? You ask, low end power, faster spowl up time.
Ill be posting pics as the build goes on and so on and so on. I have the heads done already and will post pics this weekend as well as pics of the car as well.

Didn't we already do this post?

Anyway, more power to you, let us know if we can help anywhere.
But, for the record, in the case of a 3L in a contour/cougar, twins aren't going to gain you much of anything in performance over a properly done single. The packaging doesn't allow for an optimized manifold setup for twins, so it sort of sets you right back to where the single setup ends up.

Either way, twins give you a lot of "bling factor" because its just cool to say "twin turbo".

And for the record, nobody here (at least that knows what they are talking about) has ever said that a twin turbo setup was impossible in these cars, simply that it was more difficult than it was worth when a single is pretty easy.

Didn't we already do this post?

Anyway, more power to you, let us know if we can help anywhere.
But, for the record, in the case of a 3L in a contour/cougar, twins aren't going to gain you much of anything in performance over a properly done single. The packaging doesn't allow for an optimized manifold setup for twins, so it sort of sets you right back to where the single setup ends up.

Either way, twins give you a lot of "bling factor" because its just cool to say "twin turbo".

And for the record, nobody here (at least that knows what they are talking about) has ever said that a twin turbo setup was impossible in these cars, simply that it was more difficult than it was worth when a single is pretty easy.

You have no imagination my contour friend, yeah I know a single would be way easier but with the single I was going to run on this block, the turbo wouldnt spowl(sp?) until roughly between 4 and 4500rpm, trust it was big!! Now with a twin set-up, its pratically instant boost, low to mid power. Honestly it doesnt seem like yall are understanding the concept. Ive done tons and tons of research on this, trying to figure out what set- up I want to go with. And so I came to the conclusion that for what I want, the decision was to go with a twin set-up.

You have no imagination my contour friend, yeah I know a single would be way easier but with the single I was going to run on this block, the turbo wouldnt spowl(sp?) until roughly between 4 and 4500rpm, trust it was big!! Now with a twin set-up, its pratically instant boost, low to mid power. Honestly it doesnt seem like yall are understanding the concept. Ive done tons and tons of research on this, trying to figure out what set- up I want to go with. And so I came to the conclusion that for what I want, the decision was to go with a twin set-up.

I believe Rara said it best. It isn't impossible. You thinking he has no imagination is kinda confusing :confused:. Why do all of you act the same way honestly :help:

Take it as you want, but i would sit and take notes when these guys recommend things. Not saying you don't know what you are doing but any input is good and bad in every scenario in life. Having others recommend and throwing out options at you to send you in a a good or different direction isn't always a bad thing you know.

Best of luck to this build. I think this has been said over 100+ times, yet pictures have never been shown of the progress. Most people never show up here again :)

"Honestly it doesn't seem like yall are understanding the concept"

Makes me ROFL so hard i can't believe how many type the same thing in every twin turbo post on here in over 8 years.

I hope your really good at welding. Poor welds on a hot exhaust manifold will not hold for long. Especially when your exhaust gas is pressurized. What flavor turbos are you going to run. If your looking to make big power on a lower than stock compression, the GT-28RS would be a great way to go. Their flow is great, and they have been called the supercharger replacement for their very fast spool time. Running each one on 1.5 liters will get you some pretty low air temps also. They are also a little on the small side for tight mounting clearances. The down side is that their $1299 a piece.

really admirable our new ceger:). please post pix when u can. fwiw, like others earlier said, we get posts like these from time to time from newbs who want to "take on the world". for u to set urself apart from these, progress pix is prime!

"Honestly it doesn't seem like yall are understanding the concept"

Makes me ROFL so hard i can't believe how many type the same thing in every twin turbo post on here in over 8 years.

LMAO!!! Yeah ok a lot of guys have said that before. No matter how much B.S. yall give me, I dont plan on not posting. Wont bother me, you wont believe if I say that it will happen.

Off subject... how do I up load pics? The way I do it on my club forum is upload it on photobucket. Is it the same here? Copy and past the HTML?

LMAO!!! Yeah ok a lot of guys have said that before. No matter how much B.S. yall give me, I dont plan on not posting. Wont bother me, you wont believe if I say that it will happen.

and no one is giving u BS or anything. we'd all just like to see it thats all. trust me, when u do finish this build, EVERYONE on here WILL sing your praises. that i guarantee!

really admirable our new ceger:). please post pix when u can. fwiw, like others earlier said, we get posts like these from time to time from newbs who want to "take on the world". for u to set urself apart from these, progress pix is prime!

No problem! I have the heads done already, they are sitting in my garage. The pistons and rods are at my shop, but Ill get pics this weekend like I said.

Specs on the block:
3.0L Noble with .20 o/s
Forged "H" beam connecting rods
8.5 to 1 Wiseco pistons and pins
3.0L balanced crank
Clevite mains and rod bearings

I just found the graph to the turbo I was talking about. There are more options. Some are better than others.
TURBO_DISCO_GARRETT.gif

Welcome to the group :)
Few questions...
Is the engine originally out of a Noble?
Who makes the connecting rods?
Isn't the Duratec crank externally balanced (Damper - I could be TOTALLY wrong here :) )

Off subject... how do I up load pics? The way I do it on my club forum is upload it on photobucket. Is it the same here? Copy and past the HTML?

Nobody has given you BS. Hey you came into this thread making a claim. We would just like to see it. I hope you evenutally do provide us with this twin turbo contour.:shrug:

Nobody has given you BS. Hey you came into this thread making a claim. We would just like to see it. I hope you evenutally do provide us with this twin turbo contour.:shrug:

You know what I meant though, so its cool. I have a Cougar, not a contour. Same thing I guess. It will be proven, just going to be a long process.

But about posting pics, photobucket or what??

You know what I meant though, so its cool. I have a Cougar, not a contour. Same thing I guess. It will be proven, just going to be a long process.

But about posting pics, photobucket or what??
Yes, photobucket or similar image hosting for posting pictures.

LOL, nobody is questioning that a well done twin turbo setup will work quite well. What is being said is that the compromises required to make one fit into a contour/cougar engine bay reduces some of the benefits of going to a twin turbo in the first place. Further, that given the engine size of the contour, a single turbo system can be designed with virtually the same spool-up and power curve characteristics as a twin, and be much easier to package and install. The whole "twins spool so much faster than singles" myth is propogated by so many aftermarket single systems out there that use too large of a turbo, and OEM twin setups that use tiny restrictive turbos that spool insanely quickly. This is the real reason nobody has finished a twin turbo setup in a contour or cougar, everyone gets sick of it and quits, either all together, or just switching to a simpler single.

What turbos are you planning to use? Which single turbo did you consider? How much power are you planning on making?

fwiw, a good example of singles, is I believe that a number of NPG and ADC turbo kit owners here using T3/T4 turbos ended up choosing larger a/r turbine housings to keep the turbos from spooling too quickly as it made the cars too hard to drive at low speeds.

Back