• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Speaker in the back window?

DarkBlueZ

Hard-core CEG'er
I searched a bit. I couldnt find the answer to this. I looked in my trunk and saw there is a hole where a speaker can be in the back window. I was wondering if anyone knew the size of that?

P1000559.jpg

P1000560.jpg

Ya. Thanks guys. They are freeair subs that would go there correct? I'll read more of that rear deck thread. Do you guys suggest going with subs in a box in the trunk, or a free air in the rear deck? I'm just scared of the trunk raddle from the subs in the trunk.

Last edited:
There really isn't that much trunk rattle. The rattling that you get will come from the third brake light, and maybe from your license plate. I have had to replace 5 C74 bulbs in the third brake light since I've had subs...Many people custom cut a rag and shove it under the housing for the bulbs/circuit board. I tried doing this but it didn't help, because my problem isn't the housing vibrating, but the whole circuit board instead! So far I haven't devised a way to keep the circuit board from rattling, but it doesn't do it all the time so I don't mind too much...

There really isn't that much trunk rattle. The rattling that you get will come from the third brake light, and maybe from your license plate. I have had to replace 5 C74 bulbs in the third brake light since I've had subs...Many people custom cut a rag and shove it under the housing for the bulbs/circuit board. I tried doing this but it didn't help, because my problem isn't the housing vibrating, but the whole circuit board instead! So far I haven't devised a way to keep the circuit board from rattling, but it doesn't do it all the time so I don't mind too much...
i dont know about your system but my trunk rattles like a tin can, even with 3 layers of sound deadening on it, my rear deck was even worse till i put 10 layers of second skin on it and screwed it down.

Put an 8" in the rear deck for the high bass and put 2 18's in the trunk for deep bass. That's the only way to do it. (10)

i can relate w/ ya youngkid... i had all 4 speakers blown when i got the car. i took the rear deck speakers out of my Tempo *6x8 pioneer 3 ways* and put them in the front. i still need to get back ones, but w/ the 2 fronts, it made a world of a difference.

I personally was thinking of finding a way to mount my Tempo 6-1/2"s on the rear deck, and gettin new 6x8's for the rear doors, so i'd have 6 component speakers, and gettin 2 12" subs for the box i have in my basement.... how does that sound to you audio pros??? i'm not good w/ systems.

Ya. My friend is the "loudest kid in the mid west". He is gunna help me hook everything up and sell me some stuff cheap (subs and amp). Speakers are $59.99 at Walmart (yes i know....walmart). Pioneer 6x8. Sounds good to me. Anything is gunna be better than my buzzing noise when some bass hits. Haha.

alright well i have a dumb question. my speakers buzz with bass when i turn em up to loud. if i put subs in does that mean the door speakers wont be doin bass anymore or what. how does the sub work basically.

make sure you don't have the premium infinities in there already, i just put in those pioneers (6x8 4 way 260 watts max) last weekend and the stocks sound better, i had to switch them out the next day.

You obviously hooked something up wrong, because there is no way that a factory speaker beats an aftermarket one unless you have a BOSE, Infinity, or Rockford Fosgate premium system from the factory... In those cases I can see the factory speakers being better than aftermarket...

Ya. My friend is the "loudest kid in the mid west". He is gunna help me hook everything up and sell me some stuff cheap (subs and amp). Speakers are $59.99 at Walmart (yes i know....walmart). Pioneer 6x8. Sounds good to me. Anything is gunna be better than my buzzing noise when some bass hits. Haha.

That would probably be the surround on the speaker you hear that has completely deteriorated, the piece that flexes....

alright well i have a dumb question. my speakers buzz with bass when i turn em up to loud. if i put subs in does that mean the door speakers wont be doin bass anymore or what. how does the sub work basically.

They are probably buzzing for one of two reasons. 1. You're maxing out your speakers and distorting them, or 2. they have the surround deteriorated and the speakers needs to be replaced...

Depending on your setup, you can cut off bass to your interior speakers and use your subs for bass.... it all depends on how you set it up though.... HPF's and LPF's and all that fun stuff!!! :cool:

i can turn my head unit up to about 50-55 before the speakers start to distort w/ the bass, the volume number goes up to 62...

Back