• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

more swap questions

69Boss302

Has mile high skills
the basic info: 04 Taurus 3.0 (23,000 miles)going into an E0. keeping the SVT intakes only. I'm not swapping the cams or heads.

Questions or concerns...

I can use the 2.5 oil pan without any clearance issues on the Taurus block, correct?

I reuse the 3.0 timing chains and sprockets because I'm not swapping cams, correct?

Only the pulse wheel changes for this, yes?

Should I be able to use the standard Clevite rod bearings on a 23,000 mile motor?

And lastly, the motor I'm pulling out has a lot of sand and/or metal shavings in the radiator juice. I am sure that is all the way through the whole system and in the heater blower. Can I flush this out without having to take it to the dealership?

That's it for now.

EDIT: one other thing, does anyone know the difference between the 04 Taurus valve cover gaskets and those from the 2.5s? Fel-Pro has different part numbers. I know I need to use the 2.5 covers but I'm wondering if there will be a compatability/sealing issue.

MORE EDIT: I forgot that I have a brand new OEM diff that I bought to do "some stuff" to it for an experiement. Being that this car is high mileage, would it be a good thing to swap out the old diff for the new one? And do the shift forks too while I'm there and for the fact that I have them as well. Just remembered I have those as well. BTW, I'm not going to be doing that experiment anymore.

Last edited:
You'll need the YL8Z Upgraded Oil Pump Pickup Screen at least. Use the 2.5 covers because of the coil pack mounting. They are also prettier.:laugh: Standard Clevite's are the one's you want. Don't know about the flush with the engine out. Don't know what you'd use. Pulse wheel always coincides with the timing cover. You use the 2.5 and the pulse set at 2.5 as it was on the 2.5 it came off of. I'd put the new diff. in since most I see have major wear when they come out.

And lastly, the motor I'm pulling out has a lot of sand and/or metal shavings in the radiator juice. I am sure that is all the way through the whole system and in the heater blower. Can I flush this out without having to take it to the dealership?
[/COLOR]

On the heater core use the garden hose to reverse flush the core. Do the same to the radiator.

Back