• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Love getting my car towed

CSVT1214

Addicted CEG'er
So last night around 11:45 I head out to McDonalds in Southington for some late night grub.

I had no cash and I was gonna head to the ATM first but forgot and went to McDonalds first. I used my debit card and drove off, and remembered I still need to go to the ATM.

At the end of the McDonalds parking lot, the exit is right turn only. A cop passed in front of me as I came to a stop, but I figured it's no big deal at this time of night, not a car in sight, and both driveways on the sides of McDonalds allow left turns. I wait a sec for him to go down the street, and then take a left. I look in my mirror and he bangs a U-turn and comes after me. :mad:

So I pull over, and he asks for my license, registration and insurance. Great!!! Just remembered I have no registration or insurance in the car with me. We just renewed the registration at DMV last week and I forgot to put all the papers back in my car.

He ran the plates and found it registered, still to my mom though, which was switched over during the registration renewal. And my insurance card I gave him was no good because it was the old one which expired 9/25.

Asked me who my mom was since we don't have the same last names anymore. Said without proof of insurance, my car will need to be towed. He asked if there was someone home who can bring the insurance card to me. So I called and my stepdad was nice enough to try and bring it out to me. BUUUUT.......he brought me the same card I have in my car, which expired.

Apparently, my insurance company sent us new cards last month for all our cars, but with old dates. It was the same cards I already had. Somehow DMV never noticed the cards were not valid when we renewed the registration.

So now it gets better.......

(I'll just continue in one more post)

Ok, so he says it has to be towed. He can't let me drive or he can risk losing his job for letting me go. I understand, and don't argue. He's doing his job.

I still had no cash on me because I never made it to the ATM but needed cash upfront for the tow truck. The cop said I can leave with my moms car while my stepdad waits in the SVT.

He let me go down the street to Webster Bank. Not even 1/8 of a mile down sitting in a parking lot, visible to me the entire time I was stopped, was another officer parked in a empty lot.

I drove off with my moms car, not realizing the headlights were not on and just parking lights. He stops me 1 block down from my car. :crazy:

Asks for license, registration and insurance. :eek: I give him my license, the registration, and oh sh*t, guess what, another expired insurance card in that car too.

He says whats the problem? I said the insurance card is expired. This is what I'm still in the middle of being stopped for back there and I pointed to my car. He says what do you mean you're being stopped there? I said he let me go so I can get cash for the tow truck. He almost laughed at me. Just gave me back my license and said go ahead.

He drove down there and told the officer what happened and how that car has no insurance either. He walked over and told my stepdad but was nice enough to let him go. My stepdad would of been screwed because he has no license on him right now. It was lost on vacation and is waiting for a replacement. :crazy:

Anyways, had to get the car towed home. $100 for the tow and I have to appear in court for the no insurance deal. He said I can get a letter from my insurance company stating I had insurance at the time when I was stopped and they will throw it right out in court.

I'm also going to try and see if they can pay for the tow since they decided to send us old cards and caused most of this crap.

The cop was really nice about all of this, giving me the chance to get the cards from home, run to the ATM, etc. etc. He starts asking me about the mods to the car, what I've done to the motor, how fast it is, HP, etc. Another officer pulls up just passing by us, and he brags to him about how the car has about 210 whp. :laugh: He's like "210 hp in a Contour man!". Told me all about his modded street bike and how much it scares him to ride it.

So yeah, my night sucked. Finally got home around 1:30 AM.

wow, all because of a friggin left hand turn!
I hope you can get it resolved quick and painless. fuggin A!

I hate when stupid ish snowballs like that! :bah:

So how much did they fug up towing it? Sometimes you get a good wrecker driver though. Can't imagine trying to take my Mirko off on the side of the road with the OEM jack.

So how much did they fug up towing it? Sometimes you get a good wrecker driver though. Can't imagine trying to take my Mirko off on the side of the road with the OEM jack.

Well I thought everything was fine when I looked at it last night, but I noticed today when I walked out to the car for lunch that the exhaust looked funny.

The drivers side muffler got mashed up into the bumper and won't drop down because it's caught on the plastic.

I'm leaving work now and going to have to take off the bumper when I get home so the muffler can drop down. :mad:

I tried to kick it down but it's wedged in tight and will damage the bumper if I try anymore.

I feel for you man. I've had my car towed twice in the past month. It's horrible. But I'm fighting the second tow, hopefully I can get my $110 back.

At least the mistake of the insurance was realized now. It could have been worse, if you had been in an accident.

Care to explain that one?:shrug: He just didn't have the POI in the car.:crazy:

i think what he is saying is that if he had been in an accident without POI the responding LEO might not have been so nice.

or just that fact that the only reason he was towed was due to lack of POI and not an accident.

So my bumper is fubared.

The muffler did some damage when it was pushed up into the exhaust cut-out. I took pictures yesterday before repairing it, so I'll post those up tonight.

I'm waiting to see if the plastic shifts back into place a little bit now that the pressure is off of it. If not, I'll try a heat gun and adjust it a little bit.

If only you didn't have two trash cans coming out of your rear :blackeye: JK:laugh: but seriously...they're big.

Watch your mouth or you'll have something going IN your rear.

Those are being replaced soon. I was shopping around last night and found some other Race Series mufflers from Magnaflow that I'm going with. Oval instead of round and double wall tips. :drool:

Watch your mouth or you'll have something going IN your rear.

Those are being replaced soon. I was shopping around last night and found some other Race Series mufflers from Magnaflow that I'm going with. Oval instead of round and double wall tips. :drool:

Sounds good!

And I like your muffler idea too.

Back