• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Interest Check: Carbon Fiber/Fiberglass Pre98 trunk lid

Status
Not open for further replies.
*Raises hand*
I am interested too, much like rexxdoggy, I would like to see it first, a pre98 CF trunk is exactly what I was looking for, so count me in.

Definitely looks like there is enough interest. So as soon as I finish the project I am on now I will start building the mold for the trunk lid. Then start work on the prototype. You all have a bit of a wait ahead of you, but I promise it will be worth it.

The longer we wait, the easier it will be to have the cash ready for it. At least I will. Looking forward to it. Just make sure to let us know what date you will start doing it. :laugh:

The longer we wait, the easier it will be to have the cash ready for it. At least I will. Looking forward to it. Just make sure to let us know what date you will start doing it. :laugh:

Yea will do. Haven't broke ground on it yet. I need to take a trip up to my supplier to pick up more gel-coat to finish what I started with the roof. The heat and humidity have been horrible the last few days so I haven't been working in the garage. I'm going to have to fly out to Texas for work either next week or the following week so the mold may not be finished by the end of the month as I had hoped, but I guarantee it will be started this month. I want to have all of the trunks made before October as doing this in the winter months will be very difficult up in Minnesota... unless I have a shop to work out of by then ;)

Should be ordering materials to start the mold by the end of this week. Still shooting to have the mold completed by the end of this month with a final piece to show for it. We'll see though the weather has been flippin hot and I haven't been able to work in the garage as much as I would have liked, which has slowed my roof progress down and thus this trunk lid. However rest assured this will happen.

Have a rough idea of the weight/cost differences with fiberglass?

No idea on weight savings at this point. However I would use 8.5oz 2x2 twill fiberglass cloth versus the 5.7oz 2x2 twill CF. As for cost resins and gel coat costs would be the same, fabric is typically about 75% more expensive for carbon fiber over fiberglass. I haven't even discussed the core material. Depending on whether I use Nomex honeycomb or a polypropylene honeycomb, it changes the price dramatically. Nomex is about 50% more expensive then polypropylene.

CSVT#49, make sure to post here a link to the thread when the GB is on. Very VERY interested on this.

Of course ;) This isn't my first GB :laugh:

Well, i might be interested pending weight/cost. :)

Edit: in fact if you screw up on a cf one i might take that because well ill just paint over it.

Because of business trip that has just come up I won't be able to finish my work on the mold for the trunk until about the second week of Sept now. Stay tuned...

Because of business trip that has just come up I won't be able to finish my work on the mold for the trunk until about the second week of Sept now. Stay tuned...

Just an update... colder weather has been making it difficult to get the mold finished. I'm going to have to clean out the garage and break out the heater I think. I have a feeling this will put this GB out until spring. I don't feel like the weather will allow a mass production of trunk lids unless I can find a dedicated heated garage that will maintain a good temp to have these cure properly. However time will tell. I want to deliver a quality product if I'm going to make these for people. As many of you know I don't like to screw around and half :censored: things. So if I can't do it right, I'll wait till I can. So I know a lot of you were/are excited about this, but you will have to wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back